American Family Association | Ellen DeGeneres | Proposition 8

Ellen DeGeneres Rips 'One Million Moms' For Calling for Her Firing: VIDEO

Ellen

On a show taped today for broadcast tomorrow, Ellen DeGeneres praised the 9th Circuit's ruling on Proposition 8, and then launched into a tirade at the AFA organization 'One Million Moms' for calling for her firing, E! reports.

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

As you may recall, the hate group called for JC Penney to fire her as spokesperson because she is, in their words, an "open homosexual".

Wrote the group:

Funny that JC Penney thinks hiring an open homosexual spokesperson will help their business when most of their customers are traditional families. More sales will be lost than gained unless they replace their spokesperson quickly. Unless JC Penney decides to be neutral in the culture war then their brand transformation will be unsuccessful.

Says Ellen: "Normally, I try not to pay attention to my haters—but this time I'd like to talk about it, because my haters are my motivators. This organization doesn't think I should be the spokesperson because I'm gay," DeGeneres continued. "They wanted to get me fired, and I'm proud and happy to say that JCPenney stuck by their decision to make me their spokesperson. Which is great news for me because I also need some new crew socks. I'm really going to clean up with this discount."

Ellen then read some of the comments from her supporters on the Million Moms Facebook page.

Added Ellen: "I usually don't talk about stuff like this on my show, but I really want to thank everyone who is supporting me. Here are the values I stand for. I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you'd want to be treated and helping those in need.To me, those are traditional values. That's what I stand for…I also believe in dance."

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Way to go, Ellen! I've been a fan of hers for some time now, and hearing her very fair and unoffensive response makes me like her even more! Ellen has more class than the "One Million" Moms will ever have.

Posted by: Kenne | Feb 7, 2012 9:56:09 PM

2. My boyfriend and I are shopping at JC Pennys tomorrow, and ALL of the birthday gifts, wedding gifts,and anything my family needs for the next year I will be getting at JC Penny. Suck it 1M moms! Way to go Ellen and JC Penny!

Posted by: Ken/Chicago | Feb 7, 2012 10:11:49 PM

3. What the haters can't get their minds around is the fact that Ellen is a deeply loved thoroughly "mainstream" entertainer.

The clip is FABULOUS!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 7, 2012 10:33:09 PM

4. You don't threaten or attempt to marginalize Ellen DeGeneris. JC Penny knows a good thing when it sees it. For shame, 40,000 moms.

Posted by: Calvin Smith | Feb 7, 2012 10:34:38 PM

5. That was AWESOME Ellen!!! I have shopped at JC Penny's for years and will continue more now!!!! Also if anyone is interested in history of JC Penny, you can got to Kemmerer Wyoming and that is were it started and the store is still there and small...I had lived in Wyoming not far from Kemmerer! the 1m Moms suck it!!!

Posted by: Silas | Feb 7, 2012 10:36:34 PM

6. "rounding up to the first million, I get that"

hehe

Posted by: BobN | Feb 7, 2012 10:37:27 PM

7. But, DAVID, she's... GAY!!!!! How can she be deeply loved? Lip-service love is all that abominations deserve.

Posted by: TJ | Feb 7, 2012 10:39:11 PM

8. When you shop at JCP (or Starbucks, for that matter) please let the sales associate know how you feel and why you are spending your dollars there.

Posted by: TJ | Feb 7, 2012 10:41:32 PM

9. I called and thanked them for supporting us and Ellen and the girl on the other end of the line almost CRIED she was so happy! She said: "You wouldn't believe how mean some people are bein..."

Posted by: Gigi | Feb 7, 2012 10:42:04 PM

10. Awesome message Ellen! Great news about Prop8! My partner and I live in NJ and were also married in California during the window of time that it was permitted! We definately will shop more at JCP and will continue our addiction to Starbucks!!

Posted by: Larry | Feb 7, 2012 10:50:09 PM

11. When he opened his first store in Kemmerer, Wyoming, James Cash Penney called it "The Golden Rule Store." His primary value was to treat his customers the way he would want to be treated.

He once wrote: "Whereas the company stores of the mining company treated their customers rather callously, in our store people were quick to notice a different atmosphere, which made them feel welcome and appreciated." (Hendrickson, The Grand Emporiums, p. 143).

Posted by: dept store junkie | Feb 7, 2012 10:51:59 PM

12. i called the company to thank them, too :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 7, 2012 10:57:41 PM

13. I love it that Ellen is sticking to her guns on this one.

The morons at the AFA need to be shown that they are on the losing side of history.

Posted by: Tony Pelliccio | Feb 7, 2012 11:02:03 PM

14. I'm glad that Ellen addressed this, but I think she should have talked about the absurdity of the Million Moms campaign. Ignorance is the root of bullying. Education about why this is stupid, why it hurts and where it comes from, needs to be a part of the conversation. And I know Ellen. She could do this very cuttingly. A darker comedic approach would have been funnier and more effective.

Posted by: Ashley | Feb 7, 2012 11:10:04 PM

15. What is the phone number ( yeah, I could look it up, but if it was posted, the lazy and non-lazy alike would have a ready resource)?

Come to think of it, it would be great if my favorite blog had a resource page.

Posted by: TJ | Feb 7, 2012 11:17:10 PM

16. Oh, thanks 40,000 "moms" of the "million" moms...you are irrelevant. Don't you get that yet? People who don't have hate as a central value are the ones with the real "family values" and "American values" that you like to cling to but clearly don't understand.

I like Ellen, and that clip says so much. She's no radical, she's no activist, but simply by her celebrity and success, she is an example, and one that LGBT people and all people who simply wish to treat their fellow citizens with dignity should be proud of.

Posted by: SoLeftImRight | Feb 7, 2012 11:20:52 PM

17. She's a big star, but she's also a sensitive person, and I know this must have hurt her badly.

Posted by: Rance | Feb 7, 2012 11:22:23 PM

18. Go Ellen! You tell them where to go!
    New Zealand where I come from, is truly a free country, if that sort of thing happened here, the media would be all over it and Ellen would get more publicity, these people are actually doing the opposite to what they want, they want her fired, keep giving her publicity and she will not be...Not that I want her to be as she is AWESOME

Posted by: Tyrone | Feb 7, 2012 11:36:06 PM

19. I'm going shopping tomorrow. I'm going to buy myself a new pink shirt from JC Penny. I'm going to wear it out of the store and park my gay ass in the nearest Starbucks and drink lattes (nonfat of course) until I shake. #teamtrytowhopmyassRoland

Posted by: BostonGRiTS | Feb 7, 2012 11:38:00 PM

20. I think it's interesting that no group protested when Ellen was a successful spokesperson for American Express. Why? My initial thought is these backwards organizations might not have members with the credit to qualify for an AmEx card, so they deem it less important. Though, that would be my own prejudices speaking.

Posted by: Mike C. | Feb 7, 2012 11:43:08 PM

21. I'm totally cool with her being gay. Can I protest her being unfunny and lame?

Posted by: Stephen Lucey | Feb 7, 2012 11:55:29 PM

22. I bet the 1MMs think that Ellen's supporters and her audience are predominantly gay - but only a fraction of the above are actually gay - Ellen is widely loved and admired. FU1MMs!!!

People - equal marriage (like the repeal of Prop8 and DADT) is an idea whose time has come and WE ARE NOT GOING BACK!

Posted by: JHR459 | Feb 7, 2012 11:59:04 PM

23. Ellen is a class act.

Posted by: DiatribesAndOvations | Feb 8, 2012 12:24:16 AM

24. I've been a fan of Towleroad for about a year now but have never posted before. I gotta ask though, and I might be dating myself here, but weren't "we" protesting JC Penny in the not so distant past (maybe it was), for pulling their commercials during Ellen's sitcom? I seem to remember for years never stepping foot in a JCP store and discouraging others to becasue of that very issue. It wasn't until last year that I ducked in because I needed a pair of pants and felt traitorish in doing so. I guess I missed the memo that they were ok again.

Posted by: TC | Feb 8, 2012 12:35:31 AM

25. Way to go Ellen! I think it's sort of funny, that Ellen was really 'the' trailblazer for a celebrity coming out...and all these years later she's still having to push for equality. I think she's fantastic.

Posted by: Geoff M | Feb 8, 2012 12:54:59 AM