GLAAD | News | Roland Martin

Suspended CNN Commentator Roland Martin Comes to Table with GLAAD Over Homophobic Tweets

GLAAD met with Roland Martin recently over tweets he wrote during the Super Bowl, one in which he mocked men who wear pink, and another in which he advocated violence toward men attracted to men (specifically, male fans of David Beckham). Martin was suspended by CNN as a commentator for the tweets.

R_martinOn his TV One Washington Watch news analysis show, Martin cited Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. saying that he met with GLAAD's senior director of programs and communications Herndon Graddick to sit, at "a 'table of brotherhood' where people from different backgrounds could sit down, break bread and discuss their differences, all in a hope to get to know one another better."

Martin then issued another non-apology apology.

"Over breakfast for over 90 minutes, Herndon shared his thoughts with regards to my tweets and why he deemed them offensive to the LGBT community, and I reiterated my apology that — that if anyone who construed my comment[s] as being anti-gay or homophobic, or advancing violence, that was not my intent, and for that I was truly sorry.

And touted his support for other LGBT rights issues:

"Now, do we agree on all issues? No. But, ironically, I have historically supported many of the issues important to the GLAAD agenda, such as ending [the] 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' policy; gay adoption; and including gays in hate crimes laws. Those, folks, are facts. But it is only through dialogue do we get an opportunity to see each other’s perspective and learn what it is like to walk in that person’s shoes.

Martin then gave what might be perceived as a warning that he'll possibly be speaking out in ways that gays might not like: "I have no plan to abandon my goal as a truth teller on a variety of issues; and, yes, that includes those that may be on the LGBT agenda.":

"Well, first, it is important to understand that I operate in the role of a journalist – not an activist – one who is used to participating in and leading the difficult discussions, whether on TV, radio, in print, or online. As I said to Herndon, on this show, we speak to the African-American community. And as I’ve said on many occasions, the Black community should, and must, discuss the issues involving sexual orientation – whether it’s personal, with regards to the church, in our families, or our schools. And I’ve been a vocal opponent of bullying, whether that involves heterosexuals or gay youth.

"Now, have we had these discussions? Yes. Will we continue to have these discussions? No doubt. My goal as host and managing editor of 'Washington Watch' is to shine a light on the issues and then peel back the complex layers so we all have a much better understanding.

"Now, if you’re gay or straight, your voice matters. If you are a pastor or activist, your voice matters. I have no plan to abandon my goal as a truth teller on a variety of issues; and, yes, that includes those that may be on the LGBT agenda. I am confident that this table can serve as an example of Dr. King’s 'table of brotherhood,' and I and this excellent team will do all we can to advance the dialogue so we all can learn, grow and prosper together.

GlaadGLAAD released a statement following the meeting praising Martin's character and "willingness to engage":

GLAAD’s meeting with Martin on Tuesday, February 14, was a good introduction. He has committed to meeting with GLAAD and other organizations in the near future for a more substantial dialogue. We support Martin’s commitment to use his media platforms to shed light on the harms of hate-inspired violence and look forward to continuing this dialogue. GLAAD was one of several organizations and LGBT advocates who originally called on Martin to take responsibility for his tweets. We will be reaching out in hopes of working with and involving members of the community in this ongoing discussion.

Following our call in regard to Martin, there has also been discussion around issues of race and the LGBT community. Against the best interest of everyone, racial epithets and homophobic language were used in online attacks against Martin and GLAAD. GLAAD unequivocally condemns racist language or behavior. The LGBT community is made up of people from all races, genders, faith groups, and all walks of life. The fundamental belief in equality for all people is at the very core of all that we strive to accomplish.

Part of GLAAD's job as an organization is to hold the media accountable for the words it presents and to help create a society in which every person can live without fear of violence on the basis of their identity.   GLAAD welcomes Martin and his willingness to engage with us around these issues.  It's not easy to sit down with a group that has just spoken out publicly in the way we did.   It speaks to his character that he is willing to have this dialogue with us and for the comments he made today.  We thank him for that and look forward to working with him and continuing to talk with him about how we can achieve our mutual goals together.

Read GLAAD's full statement here.

Comments

1. The helpful message Roland Martin needs right now:

Posted by: Rafa | Feb 21, 2012 8:11:26 AM

2. I can't read either of the last two comments. They're riddled with almost comical errors, and I don't care about this bigot.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 21, 2012 8:12:56 AM

3. Roland will next meet with Stacy London and Clinton Kelly.

Posted by: Paul in Charleston | Feb 21, 2012 8:18:57 AM

4. Why do I keep thinking about Thurston Howell III?

Posted by: Marshall | Feb 21, 2012 8:35:13 AM

5. 1st, Martin's tweet about the pink clothing was not just "mocking" as you state. It also advocated violence saying the man needed a visit from "whipdatass"

2nd, this meeting with GLAAD didn't really show great character from Martin as he has still not admitted the homophobic intent of his tweets. He is only sorry that some may have, in his mind, misinterpreted the tweets. Until he is willing to admit what the tweets really were and that they had nothing to do with soccer, as he claimed, then no progress has been made.

Posted by: Tim NC | Feb 21, 2012 8:38:55 AM

6. Martin is just mad that he got caught.

Posted by: Rev. Verdon Coleman | Feb 21, 2012 8:54:13 AM

7. Who is he to be issuing threats? I don't recall Rick Sanchez or David Shuster being able to issue threats while on "suspension" which in both their instances, turned out to be permanent.

Posted by: MarkUs | Feb 21, 2012 9:09:23 AM

8. "Truth Teller"=gawd talk=LIAR.
    Why do homophobes always have to have such 'gay face'?

Posted by: SFshawn | Feb 21, 2012 9:37:06 AM

9. and somehow invoking "Dr. King" gives him a pass. This hater probably would probably have been one of those that demanded Dr. King distance himself from Baynard Rustin, you know the gay black man that organized the huge march on DC.

Posted by: QJ201 | Feb 21, 2012 9:46:02 AM

10. So early in the morning to read such doubletalk.
    Forgive me if I vomit my breakfast.
    GLAAD now?

Posted by: Wavin' Dave | Feb 21, 2012 9:49:07 AM

11. someone is about to get a sizable donation

Posted by: oousslander | Feb 21, 2012 10:37:17 AM

12. Hooray - so apparently Martin learned absolutely nothing from this whole incident and still doesn't think his tweets were harmful. And of course GLAAD is perfectly willing to forgive him and end the whole matter so they can get back to what they do best - kissing the asses of celebrities at BS award shows. Wonderful.

Posted by: KP | Feb 21, 2012 10:59:16 AM

13. did he bring any "jokes"???

shame!!!

Posted by: ALICIA BANKS | Feb 21, 2012 2:08:43 PM

14. What on earth is a truth teller, & what qualifies this puffed up poinjay to be one?

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Feb 21, 2012 4:45:40 PM

15. I'm also a truth teller and do not accept his non-apology. I'm always astounded that members of oppressed minorities show a nasty disposition toward other minorities. He should know better. I was willing to consider the possibility that he didn't understand that his comments were wrong, but now I'm beginning to think he just doesn't care. I hope CNN doesn't take him back.

Posted by: Gary Russell | Feb 21, 2012 4:55:18 PM

16. "Those, folks, are facts." Are we sure that's what he said there? He was probably thinking "Those folks are f--s" given his other comments.

Posted by: Randy | Feb 21, 2012 5:12:32 PM

17. Martin is an arrogant, obnoxious loudmouth. He will only understand a hit to the ego. He needs to be racked over the coals in the public arena by a nasty PR campaign.

Posted by: Mk_ultra_again | Feb 21, 2012 6:47:50 PM

18. Well at least GLAAD is finally admitting one thing that there is a RACE problem in the gay community!

Posted by: CHRIS DACHOCOLATEBEARCUB | Feb 22, 2012 2:27:02 AM

19. That statement from GLAAD is soooooooooooo weak and accomplishes nothing. All it says is bunch of hot air: substantial dialogue, blah/blah/blah ... continuing this dialogue, blah/blah/blah ... ongoing discussion blah/blah/blah.

My goodness, is GLAAD going the route of HRC? Are they more concerned with with nice "champagne and caviar" parties and afraid to be strong in condemning what the homophobic Roland Martin LIAR says and what he will continue to say?

What a missed opportunity!

Posted by: FunMe | Feb 22, 2012 10:54:59 AM