Barney Frank | Gay Marriage | Jimmy Kimmel | News

BigGayDeal.com

Barney Frank Shows Off His Ring, Talks Wedding, Retirement with Jimmy Kimmel: VIDEO

Frank_kimmel

Barney Frank paid a visit to Jimmy Kimmel last night to talk about his retirement and his marriage.

Frank begins by talking about about how the media has become more negative, and says that the thing he'll miss the least about being in office is fundraising:

"Being nice to people I'm not crazy about. That's not my default position...For reasons I don't fully understand, not everyone loves me."

ReadyBarney also shows off a wedding ring, and introduces his fiancé Jim Ready, who is in the audience. Kimmel calls Frank a "dirty dog" when he reveals their 30-year age difference. Kimmel also asks about the wedding plans - who is planning it, if it's going to be bipartisan, and if any of the guests are opposed to same-sex marriage.

"There will be no bigots at the wedding," Frank tells Kimmel."

As for Frank's plans after retirement: "I'm not going to be a lobbyist. I'm not going to be a historian. I'll be speaking."

He also weighs in on the election and says that he doesn't think any of the current crop of Republicans will be able to beat Obama: "I would like to see us run against Rick Santorum. I think we can beat Rick Santorum even if the devil stays out of it."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Fiance = WOOF! It would have been nice to hear him speak too. I like Barney and he is currently one of the most powerful openly gay elected officials. Best wishes to him. I hope it is a big wedding and it would be really nice if it were televised so we could all be a part of the festivities. You KNOW that would drive the bigots crazy! :-)

Posted by: OS2Guy | Feb 23, 2012 8:53:05 AM

2. You have got to give Barney Frank lots of credit for where the gay community stands now. He is one of the first to be openly gay in national politics gets married going out the door...now that a role model we all can be proud of!

Posted by: Vern Dufford | Feb 23, 2012 9:05:31 AM

3. Nice comment, bro.

Posted by: matt | Feb 23, 2012 9:12:26 AM

4. I wish they would of showed a close up on Barney's wedding ring. Barney mentioned his parter was a welder who made awnings the ring was made if a black material...just was wandering what it looked like? This wedding ring thing can get kind of creative.

Posted by: Vern Dufford | Feb 23, 2012 9:16:32 AM

5. one thing i learned from my days in boston and having a sicilian dad...a good curmudgeon is a good thing. obviously worked to hook Jim. quite a catch

Posted by: tim | Feb 23, 2012 11:28:12 AM

6. Barney's happiness makes me happy as well..

=)

Posted by: george F | Feb 23, 2012 11:40:41 AM

7. Barney Frank is a true Democrat, gentleman, wit, and soon to be husband to another husband right in front of everybody. His whole career has been heroic and he totally thrills me (as does his handsome fiancee). My day can now begin. Thank you so much for posting this. It's pure energy.

Posted by: uffda | Feb 23, 2012 12:08:20 PM

8. 30 years difference between Barney Frank and Gym Ready? Gross. My boyfriend of eleven years is a couple years older than me, but I wouldn't be sexing it up with a 71 year-old man. errr....ick.

Posted by: Alan | Feb 23, 2012 12:28:05 PM

9. the BEST comment i've heard Barney say about the Repugs & the clown car filled with 'candidates' is"

"We're not perfect, but they're nuts."

gonna miss him saying what he means...

Posted by: mike/ | Feb 23, 2012 3:53:45 PM

10. Will Barney continue the code-of-silence about the large # of closeted Republicans in elected office when he formally retires?
    Yea probably. He's bought & paid for.

Posted by: Hadassah Weinreb | Feb 23, 2012 4:32:50 PM

11. Its good to see elected officials that are openly gay it really opens up the perspective of society.

Posted by: Ayal Gul | Feb 24, 2012 1:16:29 PM