Gay Parents | New Jersey | News

NJ Teen Makes Heartbreaking Plea to Lawmakers to Let Her Gay Dads Marry, 'Be Equal': VIDEO

Madison

Don't miss this video.

At yesterday's hearing before New Jersey's House Judiciary Committee, 15-year-old Madison Galluccio made an emotional and heartbreaking plea to lawmakers to let her two dads, John and Michael Galluccio, marry and let her family feel equal.

Said Gallucio:

"I do have to say that New Jersey has made me feel discriminated, like I'm some sort of outcast. But guess what New Jersey? I'm no outcast. I am Madison Galluccio, and I am part of the Galluccio family. My parents will be married, and I will make sure that this happens till the day that I die. So please, will you help me? Help me feel equal. We aren't different. I'm not different. And I shouldn't have to be forced to feel like I'm different. This is my family, and I want us to be able to have the same rights as you. So NJ, please give me my freedom."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

The measure advanced on a party line vote.

Comments

1. Lovely.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 3, 2012 10:24:03 AM

2. I hope her wish comes true.

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 3, 2012 10:33:57 AM

3. I listened to the testimony yesterday, and the PRO marriage equality witness panels were filled with moving, personal testimonies like this, and in contrast, the CON panels were filled with nastiness, rage, paranoia and condescension. I wish those videos would come out as well, because it makes their side look very, very bad.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Feb 3, 2012 10:35:45 AM

4. Thank you, Madison, for sharing your story.

Posted by: Yes | Feb 3, 2012 10:40:39 AM

5. Religious bigotry has no place in the sphere of the law.

Posted by: Mykelb | Feb 3, 2012 10:46:23 AM

6. She's such a sweet girl. If you've ever spoken before an audience you know how difficult it can be and she's only 15 years old! Her dad is right there beside her and you can tell he loves her very much. Again, she is a very sweet girl.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Feb 3, 2012 10:58:16 AM

7. we've got another Soldier Girl! well done, love.

it's the reality: discriminating against LGBT couples puts children, gay and straight, at a disadvantage.

what a lovely and poised young woman. well done, dads.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 3, 2012 11:46:04 AM

8. where's the video?

Posted by: jeremy | Feb 3, 2012 4:28:39 PM

9. Amazing....just amazing. Not that this girl would support her two dads marrying (that's to be expected.) I'm talking about Kiwi writing a post that doesn't act sarcastic or condemn anyone. Usually by this time he's daring someone to show us his URL or accusing somoene of trying to please his homophobic parents, or telling a Towleroad visitor what way she ought to die. But finally we get a post that the United Church of Canada (his Christian denomination) would be proud of!

Posted by: Mary | Feb 3, 2012 8:37:36 PM

10. Kiwi, please don't respond with venom. I'm just playing with you! And yes, this girl obviously loves her Dad and he loves her. I understand her situation. Clearly any kid is better with two loving gay parents than as an orphan.

And congrats are in order. It looks as if SSM will pass in Washington state.

Posted by: Mary | Feb 3, 2012 8:42:13 PM