Discrimination | Nebraska | News | Omaha

BigGayDeal.com

Omaha City Councilman Ben Gray Discusses Ordinance Protecting LGBT Workers: VIDEO

Gray

There's a battle underway in Nebraska between Omaha City Councilmember Ben Gray, who introduced an Equal Employment Ordinance to protect the city's LGBT workers, and Beau McCoy (below), a state senator who introduced a bill intended to stop Gray's ordinance at the state level.

MccoyI've written about it here before. McCoy's bill would prevent LGBT anti-discrimination ordinances at the local level and be retroactive, repealing those already in place, while defining who is a "protected person" under Nebraska state law. LGBT people would be excluded from that definition in McCoy's bill.

Today, some hopeful news. State Sen. Brad Ashford of Omaha, the Judiciary Committee chairman said it does not appear that the panel will act on McCoy's bill.

Gray's proposal will be on the council's agenda for the first time Tuesday, with a public hearing set for March 6.

Hear him talk about it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Omaha's Equal Employment Ordinance from Yay, You Did It on Vimeo.

Comments

1. It's time we stop trusting white people, they're all thugs.

Posted by: David R. | Feb 23, 2012 2:09:03 PM

2. Interesting to note the lack of comment on this post. Harder to ignore why that is.

Posted by: Carlie | Feb 23, 2012 2:38:06 PM

3. wow - this is one smart man...! Thank You Mr Grey!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Feb 23, 2012 3:01:10 PM

4. This will be great if this passes. My dad is from Omaha and I have many family members there. It's a great city!

Posted by: Stefan | Feb 23, 2012 4:18:11 PM

5. Love Ben Gray! Omaha is my hometown, used to watch Ben's community TV show "Kaleidoscope." Thanks for keeping this in the news; there's only weeks before the ordinance is voted on, and it was torpedoed last year when it came up.

Posted by: EchoMark | Feb 23, 2012 5:05:46 PM

6. I spent the first 19 years of my life before relocating to the eastern seaboard. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but believe me when I say we haven't heard the last of McCoy and this bill.

Posted by: Brian | Feb 23, 2012 7:09:34 PM

7. I grew up in Omaha - It's great to see people fighting against LGBT discrimination there. I hope McCoy's bill is seen as a transparent attempt to stop political progress sometimes found in urban areas of otherwise more rural and conservative states.

Posted by: fanboi | Feb 24, 2012 12:11:20 AM

8. An absolutely great explanation of gay rights. You don't have to like it, but do what's fair. Bravo, Mr Gray.

Posted by: Caliban | Feb 24, 2012 12:37:19 AM

9. CARLIE - what is your point? Or, more pointedly, what is your assumption? There is only so much time in the day. Perhaps the post's title wasn't intriguing? Perhaps "Omaha," however unfairly, doesn't pique curiosity? What are the other possibility besides the ones that may worry you?

Posted by: TJ | Feb 24, 2012 1:01:58 AM