Jennifer Hudson | Music | Music Video | News | Whitney Houston

Jennifer Hudson's Tribute to Whitney Houston: VIDEO

Hudson

"I Will Always Love You". Hudson reportedly had a tough time getting through this in rehearsals because her emotions were getting the best of her. What did everyone think of the various tributes on the show - too long, not enough, lopsided?

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I just love Jen Hudson. Such a beautiful voice. Must have been so hard for her.

Jen is a classy, classy woman, which is more than what I can say for that homophobe-lover Rihanna.

Posted by: jason | Feb 13, 2012 7:37:44 AM

2. Whitney's "More Love Than I'll Ever Need" was unique to her and her best song and vocal performance, IMHO. I would rather have listened to that song.

Posted by: MarkUs | Feb 13, 2012 7:42:27 AM

3. Following her performance at Etta James memorial, Cristina Aguilera should take note that Jennifer Hudson shows us how to do a famous song by a recently deceased person and not make it all about Jennifer. A beautiful and touching tribute.

On the show itself, Adele was really the only highlight. They wheeled out lots of old guys, let Chris Brown, the Foo Fighters and Sir Paul sing twice each despite a room full of talent, and Nicki Minaj's performance was a HOT MESS!

Posted by: Chadd | Feb 13, 2012 8:41:25 AM

4. The tribute, blended beautifully with the photographs of other musicians lost by the music industry family serving as a backdrop, was perfect. Jennifer's performance was beautiful, uncomplicated, understated and full of respect, love and class.

I can't fathom the pressure and emotion that she must have been feeling. A consumate professional.

I felt The Grammy's approach (and LL's) was perfect. Less was, indeed, a whole lot more.

As a side-note: Glen Campbell, not Miss Ross? Wha? And the Beach Boys..? *shudders*

Posted by: Autarchic | Feb 13, 2012 8:53:57 AM

5. Hudson did a lovely job, and I understand everyone's emotions were freshly raw. However, though Bonnie Raitt and Alicia Keys did a nice tribute to Etta James, I didn't see James in the In Memorium tribute montage; also, Amy Winehouse was completely glossed over during the rest of the show, along with Gil Scott-Heron, Nick Ashford, Don Cornelius, etc. It's always unfair when one celebrity death trumps another. (See also: Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson, and Elvis and Bing Crosby.)

Personally, I'd just as soon never hear anyone "belt" out "I Will Always Love You" again--the song is much more moving when sung as a gently mournful prayer, like Dolly Parton wrote it to be. I'm a tad surprised they didn't get Parton for last night, but again no diss on Hudson, who was classy and moving.

Posted by: Dback | Feb 13, 2012 8:57:32 AM

6. Jennifer oversang it. That may have had to do with her emotions.

Posted by: UWSGUY | Feb 13, 2012 9:10:29 AM

7. Re: DBACK
    Yes Etta James was left out Memorium tribute montage, major fail on the Grammys part.

Posted by: RobWest | Feb 13, 2012 9:37:57 AM

8. The tempo was self-indulgently slow, making the piece harder to sing. She also tried at places to "Dreamgirlify" it, which of course made the song more about Jennifer than about the song.

"Love the art in your self, and not yourself in the art."

One very good example of living that philosophy was Houston's National Anthem. Jennifer should have taken the lesson.

Posted by: Fred | Feb 13, 2012 9:40:36 AM

9. Classy and lovely. I agree with Chadd's comment re: Aguilera. Hudson made the song a tribute rather than a star turn, and it probably wasn't easy to get through for her. Heart beneath the voice that comes through, something I didn't always hear with Houston, to be honest.

It was nice that Etta James also got honored, but I wish they'd also featured her in the montage and more prominently. Etta was a legend who overcame her addictions (she could have easily have gone out early but she survived) and went on to have a great second act. Unfortunate that Whitney wasn't able to do the same.

We taped to the show to watch when it was over and lots of fast-forwarding through some missable performances. I thought Bruno Mars was great, completely charming without trying too hard to be anything other than a good performer.

Posted by: Ernie | Feb 13, 2012 9:59:03 AM

10. UWSGUY and FRED: Why so negative? She pulled back a LOT. You should have heard her sing it in 2010 for Whitney at a tribute. She pulled out all the classic Whitney stops. For this tribute, though, she held back and didn't try to do "Whitney's version," which I thought was very elegant and respectful. Self-indulgent? I think it was clear just how emotional she was, and I laud her for NOT making it about what she can do vocally (because, let's be honest...if you'd seen her Aretha tribute, you'd know she can do a LOT more to show off those pipes).

Meanwhile, I agree with DBACK. I actually thought it would have been lovely had Dolly sang it with her guitar -- nothing else. That would have been truly moving.

Posted by: Jay | Feb 13, 2012 10:42:57 AM

11. As I posted before: Jennifer Hudson was perfect - not too much, but powerful. Haters are gonna hate, but they will be wrong, and, as always, sad.

I see the sad has commenced above.

Posted by: TJ | Feb 13, 2012 11:17:12 AM

12. PS Has anyone seen my Etta James (Blue Gardenia" cd? I've been looking for it all weekend.

Posted by: TJ | Feb 13, 2012 1:38:59 PM

13. I thought about Dolly Parton, too. But would that have drawn attention to the song itself - that it was Dolly Parton's song - rather than focus on Whitney's performance of that song?

I thought Jennifer Hudson did a great job in a tough situation. She didn't want to compete with Whitney, but didn't want to give a wan version, either.

btw, she looked stunning.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Feb 13, 2012 2:19:24 PM

14. Video has been removed by the user :(

Posted by: Randy | Feb 13, 2012 6:19:13 PM

15. Moving, without showy melisma. That minimalist approach made it so effective. Dreamgirls was my only exposure to Hudson, and I did not recall her having such a rich, almost operatic voice.
    As for in memoria MIA, several jazz greats, including Sam Rivers, Paul Motian, Bob Brookmeyer...

Posted by: Mark | Feb 13, 2012 11:40:50 PM