American Family Association | Ellen DeGeneres | News | Ron Johnson

BigGayDeal.com

JC Penney CEO Ron Johnson: 'Ellen Shares the Same Values We Do' — VIDEO

King_johnson

JC Penney CEO Ron Johnson spoke out to Gayle King about the One Million Moms controversy and Ellen DeGeneres on CBS This Morning.

Said Johnson:

"We don't look at it like a controversy. One of the great things about America is people can speak their mind. And you know, the organization that believes one thing has spoken and it was great to see Ellen share her views yesterday. And we stand squarely behind Ellen as our spokesperson and that's a great thing. Because she shares the same values that we do in our company. Our company was founded 110 years ago on the golden rule, which is about treating people fair and square, just like you would like to be treated yourself. And we think Ellen represents the values of our company and the values that we share."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Johnson, who is the genius behind Apple's retail stores, recently joined JC Penney in an effort to revive its brand.

If you missed Ellen's show statement ripping One Million Moms for calling for her to be fired, check it out HERE.

Comments

1. Excuse me, I have to go buy something at J.C. Penney... and there's a sentence I hadn't thought about writing since 1982.

Posted by: Elsewhere | Feb 9, 2012 11:17:38 AM

2. I think attacking Ellen, of all people, is one of the stupidist things the fundagelicals have ever done.

Ellen?!?!?

The more they lose their battles against equality, the more desperate they'll become. Many of their last-ditch battles will be, well, silly, as is arguing against Ellen DeGeneres. Unfortunately, other battles will be vicious and quite possibly stir their extremists to violence.

We should all get a good laugh over the attacks against Ellen, and then prepare ourselves to fight the many battles ahead.

Posted by: K in VA | Feb 9, 2012 11:26:31 AM

3. The attack on Ellen is inidcative of the fact that they're destined to lose the fights ahead.They have this picture in their minds of all of us being angry gay radicals.

Now I like Larry Kramer as much as the next person (more in fact), but his angry gay radicalism is just one part of a very large picture. Elllen isn't an angry gay radical at all. Never has been. But to the Fundies and Fascists merely coming out and living your life openly constitutes Angry Gay Radicalism.

Ellen is a thoughly pleasant, low-key entertainer. As such she has attracted a very borad base of fans, including children who find her a delightful presence. In a funny way THIS is what makes her radical. She's not some "Scary Lesbian" Monster figure. She's Ellen. And thus in her own very simple way she's doing a lot for us. The attacks on her make her attackers look supremely silly.

And thus ALL homophobia looks extremely silly.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 9, 2012 11:34:09 AM

4. It is great to see JC Penney stand behind Ellen instead of caving to stupid bigots. They have certainly made me happy with spending my money there.

And it did make me chuckle that Ron Johnson managed to put JC Penney's new marketing tag "fair and square" into his response. Always promote the brand!

Posted by: David | Feb 9, 2012 11:35:11 AM

5. The CEO is right about the golden rule at JC Penney. In fact, the original name of the store was "The Golden Rule Store."

(I learned that back when I worked at JC Penney in the early 80s.)

Posted by: Jeffrey in St. Louis | Feb 9, 2012 11:36:49 AM

6. This is one of those cases where there's no such thing as bad publicity. JCP is getting tons of free press thanks to the "million moms" and all of it good. They couldn't have picked a better spokesperson.

Posted by: Craig | Feb 9, 2012 11:38:36 AM

7. Silly moms! They should know better than to engage in a culture war when they don't have any to begin with!
    (Just FYI, I'm getting the wrong video with this story.)

Posted by: Jeff | Feb 9, 2012 11:43:13 AM

8. J. C. Penney's is one of the few stores where I can buy a nice-looking Tall shirt (I have monkey-length arms).

Posted by: homer | Feb 9, 2012 11:43:32 AM

9. What a great, open, forthright attitude. Mr.Johnson and JC Penny are to be congratulated on keeping an eye on the future not on the fundi oppression of the last century.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 9, 2012 11:45:37 AM

10. well said, David Ehrenstein!!!

you make a point that i wish more lgbt people would understand - learning the difference between Excuses Given and Reasons Given. the anti-gay homophobic population? it's a sea of excuses.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 9, 2012 11:51:11 AM

11. Having always found JCP hopelessly out of date and kinda Sears-like creepy-- (our family had no money and we had to shop there when I was a kid)-- I am suddenly doing a drastic 180. I went to their website and wrote them a note thanking them for their stand and pledging to shop there--and I mean it. You can reach them at:

They deserve our support.

Posted by: iawl | Feb 9, 2012 12:09:36 PM

12. Discrimination is sooooooooooooooo last Century.

Great to see changes for equality for all moving in the right direction!

Posted by: FunMe | Feb 9, 2012 12:24:52 PM

13. That's not the video.

Posted by: Sean A. | Feb 9, 2012 1:03:48 PM

14. Mr. Johnson was hired to remake JC Penney -- to make it "cool." What could up the cool factor more than the noisy self-banishment of the troglodytes? We shouldn't dismiss the possibility that Johnson *paid* the Million Moms for their little hissyfit.

Posted by: Mort | Feb 9, 2012 1:07:41 PM

15. Backing Ellen is just the beginning. Buy stock folks. JCP is coming back in a big way and they are doing all the right things.

And no, I do not work for them.

Posted by: Brig | Feb 9, 2012 1:09:41 PM

16. I have NEVER wanted to shop at JC Penney more than I do right now. What would I even buy there? What do they sell? I just know it as the place at the mall where you would meet your friends to go off and shop somewhere else.

Posted by: Gregoire | Feb 9, 2012 1:09:57 PM

17. I think the wrong video is linked.

Posted by: Jordan | Feb 9, 2012 1:49:51 PM

18. J.C. Pen-NEE, you say pen-NEE to make it sound French.

Posted by: Task | Feb 9, 2012 2:33:18 PM

19. @Gregoire: I couldn't explain the difference between Penny's and Sears, but Penny's is essentially a general store. Often quite large. Clothes, appliances, shoes, etc. Sort of like a classier Wal-Mart, but still with no pretense (or perishable food). I can't think of many things that I'd buy there, but this was a classy move.

Course, the "million" moms turned out to be about 1,000. I'm pretty sure that there are more gay shoppers than that. Which explains why this "boycott" got zero media attention.

And David Ehrenstein, excellent analysis.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 9, 2012 7:43:29 PM

20. I PVR'd Ellen's show today just to watch her address this but I didn't see anything. She had as guests Channing Tatum and then those British kids Sophia-Grace and Rosie. Was that the wrong episode?

As for JCPenny, I always thought of it as someplace for Grandma to shop. I'll definitely take a closer look next time.

Posted by: Gregv | Feb 9, 2012 10:31:51 PM

21. Perhaps JC Penny can become the next Target store. We made Target what is today, and we can do the same with JC Penny.

Posted by: David in Chelsea, Massachusetts | Feb 10, 2012 6:30:13 AM

22. The Christian right wing is in it's death throws and with each day they become less and less relevant in our culture. Lets go shopping.

Posted by: Dave | Feb 10, 2012 9:18:08 AM

23. I took @IAWL's advice and wrote a message to customer service at their site, thanking them for being a "fair and square" ally and example for the rest of society. The automated response said they were experiencing "higher than normal" email volume, but they'd get back to me within 2 days. Less than an hour later, I received this message:

"As we focus on being in sync with the rhythm of our customers' lives and operating in a 'Fair and Square' manner that is rooted in integrity, simplicity and respect, we couldn't think of a better partner than Ellen DeGeneres. We are extremely proud to have her on our team."

Okay everyone, this weekend we all need to go buy some small kitchen appliances and towels and perhaps Levi 511s (the rest of their clothing has yet to catch up to their progressive mindset ;)

Viva La JCP!

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER | Feb 10, 2012 6:31:43 PM

24. My best friend and I video tapped our SHOPPING SPREE at JCP in HONOR OF ELLEN! http://www.2gayguysand1straightdogsupportjcp.com/

Posted by: Ted Trent | Feb 10, 2012 11:38:30 PM

25. I want to write to Ron Johnson to applaud his decision to have Ellen DeGeneres as JCP's spokesperson. Everything they are doing makes me want to check out what's new and different about JCP. Way to go, RJ!!

Posted by: Jane | Feb 13, 2012 5:45:53 PM