American Family Association | Bill O'Reilly | Ellen DeGeneres | News | Sandy Rios

Bill O'Reilly Rips Wingnut for One Million Moms 'Witch Hunt' Against Ellen DeGeneres: VIDEO

Oreilly_ellen

FOX News host Bill O'Reilly couldn't find one of the One Million Moms protesting Ellen DeGeneres to come on his show and talk about their calls for JC Penney to fire her as spokesperson because she's an "open homosexual", so he found another wingnut, Sandy Rios of Family-Pac Federal, to come on and defend them.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

EllenO'Reilly calls the One Million Moms action a form of McCarthyism and a "witch hunt".

Says Rios: "It isn’t about Ellen Degeneres, but it is about mainstreaming something that is not acceptable to Christian and traditional family people all over the country."

Asks O'Reilly: "What is the difference between a McCarthy-era Communist blacklist and the Million Moms saying hey, JC Penney, don't you hire any gay people. Don't you dare. What is the difference?"

Says Rios: "The problem is that Ellen DeGeneres has chosen to act out her lesbian lifestyle, marry her partner, and what that represents...we are seeing homosexuality so embedded in our culture in alarming ways.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. On rare occasions Billo has what AA calls a moment of clarity.

Posted by: melvin | Feb 7, 2012 9:35:15 AM

2. You know things are going bad for you when O'Reilly rips you apart for being anti-gay

Posted by: Steve | Feb 7, 2012 9:36:12 AM

3. I actually saw the show last night and found myself agreeing somewhat with Sandy Rios... not that Ellen should be fired, but that special interest groups have the right to call for someone to be fired. I really didn't get Bill's point that it is wrong to call for a company to fire a spokesperson.

Also, a later segment was really interesting. Bernie Goldberg was on to speak about a different topic, but spoke forcefully that he believes Conservatives are bigotted against gay people and it is wrong. When Bill said that they were just concerned that Ellen was "flaunting" her sexuality, he countered that he (Bernie) also flaunts his heterosexuality.

Posted by: J.P. | Feb 7, 2012 9:44:36 AM

4. Bill O has definitely changed in how he handles LGBT issues. I'm guessing someone very close to him came out.

Posted by: kpo5 | Feb 7, 2012 9:45:09 AM

5. No, I doubt it's personal revelation. He's no dummy. He's a self-serving ass, but he is a good barometer for where the conservotards are in this country. He would never say anything controversial to them. So we can probably assume that even most Republicans can see the inequality in employment discrimination.

He has a decent strategy; he'll slowly open up and become less of a bigot, and when we finally get to a point in Ameirca with majority support and common sense, he'll act like he was on our side the whole time, and probably even helped us get here. Or he'll die first. He is what, seventy?

Posted by: s parker | Feb 7, 2012 9:59:44 AM

6. Wow. If she thinks Ellen is alarming, I'd like her to see my life. I and my husband do pervy things like chores and housekeeping, paying bills, caring for his parents, taking walks, and occasionally going out for dinner. We've also been known to take vacations! Why, he even drove me to work once! *shock* All while tainting our entire surroundings with 'teh ghey'.

Posted by: justinw | Feb 7, 2012 10:00:10 AM

7. My bet is that Bill didn't oppose the Million Moms until they refused to come on his show. He felt spurned so this is how he strikes back. I think this is Bill being petty, not Bill wising up.

Posted by: Matt S | Feb 7, 2012 10:08:53 AM

8. I don't know that he has changed his views. I strongly suspect that the private Bill O'Reilly is a very different man than the money-making O'Reilly we see on FAUX News.
    Every so often, the private O'Reilly bleeds through the makeup and this was one of those times.

Posted by: enough already | Feb 7, 2012 10:11:22 AM

9. What does Charlene from Designing Women have against Ellen?

Posted by: Brian | Feb 7, 2012 10:13:37 AM

10. S.PARKER is spot on calling O'Reilly "a self-serving ass". I've said it before and think it's true, he's not a comic, or any kind of right-minded commentator, he's an opportunist.

Posted by: uffda | Feb 7, 2012 10:32:00 AM

11. Kudos to Bill for sure, because god knows a lot of people on the other side really listen to him. It makes a MUCH bigger impact in our favor when someone like O'reilly makes comments like this than someone like the amazing Rachael Maddow who is brilliant, but mostly preaching to the choir.

Posted by: Jwl | Feb 7, 2012 10:36:51 AM

12. Even O'Reilly knows that these hate groups have "jumped the shark" with this ridiculous campaign.

Posted by: Rance | Feb 7, 2012 10:45:18 AM

13. There are enough gay anchors on Fox News to keep BOR in line.

Posted by: anon | Feb 7, 2012 11:07:19 AM

14. O'Reilly is often more pragmatic than he's given credit for. He's actually written in support of Obama, for example. He's conservative in the more classic sense: fiscal restraint and would rather not shake the boat socially. His show, and Fox in general, tends to highlight the extremes because that's what their audience seems to feed on and the type who is willing to get on the network. I don't agree with him on everything, but I'll at least listen to him. Unfortunately, his pragmatism often is lost in the noise.

Posted by: Tom | Feb 7, 2012 11:10:30 AM

15. I think some of you are giving Billo too much credit. His only point was that groups should not call for the firing of a company spokesperson. He suggested they should just stop shopping there. He also later said that he understoof their concerns… that Ellen flaunts her homosexuality.

Posted by: J.P. | Feb 7, 2012 11:11:35 AM

16. i agree with sandy, they're entitled to do it, though i can't imagine what effect it will actually have. our side does it as well when someone we don't like is put in that position, though i do understand there's a difference between ellen living her life and the hate speech of a bigot. good for jc penney for standing their ground. i think more than a million moms also love ellen.

and, where were these moms when fox put her on american idol? were they telling fox they wouldn't watch their shows? lots of families watch(ed) that show. same for whatever network airs her daytime show. why is jc penney where the line is? hopefully, they're bottom line won't be affected by this. i'd suggest we all rally and start shopping there...but i don't see that as very realistic.

Posted by: DUG | Feb 7, 2012 11:13:20 AM

17. Bad cosmetic surgery job, dear.

Posted by: Jack M | Feb 7, 2012 11:26:40 AM

18. I am pissed that they stole "Mom" and are using it to further a stupid agenda. You can't steal Mom like you speak for all moms.

Unless it's " A Million Stupid Moms" or "A Million Bigoted Moms". I'm a mom and I would buy anything from Ellen. She's just that frickin' cool.

Posted by: Rin | Feb 7, 2012 11:41:03 AM

19. This was a pleasant surprise. I am glad BOR expressed a strong opinion.
    I just wonder what his red neck viewers thought. Hopefully they began to rethink.

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 7, 2012 11:43:27 AM

20. Isn't this the guy that demanded Ludacris be fired by Pepsi? I appreciate him standing up for whats right here, but hes nothing if not inconsistent and often hypocritical!

Posted by: tony | Feb 7, 2012 11:57:41 AM

21. I wonder how many women are actually a part of "A Million Moms."
    It's a catchy name and implies a huge membership. My guess: maybe 10,000 Moms at most.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Feb 7, 2012 12:03:51 PM

22. @ Brian!!! - "What does Charlene from Designing Women have against Ellen?" - That made me actual LAUGH OUT LOUD!!!! Dying!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Feb 7, 2012 12:18:17 PM

23. I'd be willing to bet that one million mom's is probably closer to Ellen's daily viewership.

Posted by: emma | Feb 7, 2012 6:21:04 PM

24. He's been a quiet supporter all along. He gave an interview to Out (the magazine) about 10 years ago that was anything but abrasive. He's just wanted to keep his job and throw raw meat to his viewers. Self-serving is correct, but I suspect his Fox overlords quash his libertarian tendencies.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 7, 2012 6:52:13 PM

25. Once in a while Bill makes sense!

Posted by: jaragon | Feb 7, 2012 7:12:56 PM