Brett Ratner | Chris Brown | News | Seth Rogen

Seth Rogen Rips Brett Ratner, Chris Brown at the Independent Spirit Awards: VIDEO

Rogen

Seth Rogen hosted the Independent Spirit Awards in Santa Monica on Saturday, and took the opportunity to lay into Brett Ratner for the anti-gay slur that got him rejected as Oscar producer last fall. In the same joke, he also took aim at Grammy producers for celebrating Chris Brown.

Said Rogen:

"Without awards season we wouldn't know what a horrible bigot Brett Ratner is. It's good. Good to know. That Ratner sh*t was crazy. That was nuts. Are we really surprised that he said that though, honestly? Come on. Who was like, 'Ratner? I thought Ratner was Mr. PC, that's weird.' It's very strange though. That was crazy."

He added:

"I honestly bet, though, that Brett Ratner wishes that he was organizing the Grammys, because they seem much more forgiving than the Oscars, altogether. Seriously. You say a few hateful things they don't let you within 100 years of the Oscars. You could literally beat the sh*t out of a nominee and they let you perform twice at the Grammys."

The mark above comes at about 5:00 into Rogen's opening monologue, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Gotta love Seth!

Posted by: MikeH | Feb 27, 2012 7:35:45 PM

2. Love Patricia Clarkson bouncing up and down and clapping at Rogan's take-no-prisoners remarks. That, combined with her incredibly gracious toast to the departed Bingham Ray, champion of indy film, makes me wish she could handle the wake and memorial service when I die (hopefully not for about 50 years).

Posted by: Dback | Feb 27, 2012 7:49:26 PM

3. As if I needed another reason to want to do Seth Rogan...

Posted by: L'Herbs | Feb 27, 2012 8:13:53 PM

4. Seth needs to have a seat. He is the same man who had his character rape Anna Faris for comedy in a film.

he also ignores the scores of white people who have done despicable things but have been nominated or won academy awards like:

Roman Polanski
    Robert Downey Jr.
    Mark Wahlberg
    Robin Williams
    many others

While i find what Breezy did to be deplorable and disgusting, it would be wrong to ignore the not-so-covert racism in this situation. He can all all the seats with this BS.

Posted by: new-new | Feb 27, 2012 8:49:37 PM

5. well, now i wish i had watched them when they were on!

Posted by: KDNA | Feb 27, 2012 8:50:48 PM

6. @NEW-NEW - Are you for real? Both of the incidents he made comments about were recent. Very recent. The examples you provided are very much in the past. As for your racism asertion, he spoke about Brett Ratner too. Yeah, um, he's white. You don't make any sense. Have a seat yourself!

Posted by: Donny | Feb 27, 2012 9:24:17 PM

7. Seth needs to host more often, he's great. And adorable :)

Posted by: daws | Feb 27, 2012 9:52:23 PM

8. I love a smart, acerbic, nice, jewish-boy.

Whaddaya gonna do?

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Feb 27, 2012 10:33:44 PM

9. i'm glad i'm not alone in finding him preposterously sexy.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 27, 2012 10:41:10 PM

10. @ Donny

What's the difference between 10 years and 3 years when it comes to violent crime? really?

Posted by: new-new | Feb 27, 2012 10:50:18 PM

11. New-New, I think the problem with Brown is that he keeps tweeting about people not letting this go while showing no signs he changed or learned from what he did. Throwing tantrums, smashing windows... Rich from fourfour said a lot better that my limited second language English could imagine: http://fourfour.typepad.com/fourfour/2011/03/charliebrown.html

Posted by: Syrax | Feb 27, 2012 11:12:59 PM

12. I wasn't much of a fan of Seth's because I was introduced to him in the Knocked Up movie, which I thought was disgustingly sexist. I like him a bit more after these comments, though.

Posted by: JC | Feb 27, 2012 11:47:05 PM

13. New-New, except "Observe and Report" is a movie. Seth Rogen didn't *actually* rape somebody. And the Ratner, Brown references are topical and recent hence they were included and Roman Polanski was not.

Posted by: Glenn | Feb 27, 2012 11:55:46 PM

14. That was hilarious. I was so sad his movie 50/50 didn't get some love at the Oscars. It was truly my favorite from the year.

Posted by: Ryan | Feb 28, 2012 12:35:05 AM

15. It's nice that Seth Rogen said it, but I still can't stand him or anyone who is Judd Apatow-adjacent.

Posted by: Alex Sarmiento | Feb 28, 2012 1:33:53 AM

16. He should have rehearsed. He's no stand up comedian; that was excruciating, even though some of those line were pretty decent.

Posted by: Mike B. | Feb 28, 2012 2:05:56 AM

17. He's wicked sexy. And I'm not usually attracted guys who fit the bear/cub profile.

Posted by: peterparker | Feb 28, 2012 2:36:29 AM

18. Can't wait for The Guilt Trip - his movie with Streisand this fall.

Posted by: Paul | Feb 28, 2012 2:47:46 AM

19. Amazing post! Thanks.

Posted by: term papers | Feb 28, 2012 5:55:06 AM

20. I don't know who I want to bang more Rogen or Karovsky. I love me a woofy.

Posted by: Tigger | Feb 28, 2012 6:05:48 AM

21. I thought it was funny. I didn't think it was racist.

There's a line in Gone with the Wind where Rhett tells a crying Scarlet: You're like the horse thief who's not at all sorry he did it, but he's certainly upset that he got caught.

That's how I feel about these public GLBT and NOW forced apologies. When you have to "see the light" because you could lose money or a job then you aren't really sincerely taking those steps towards being a better more compassionate person. Had female, gay or lesbian friends quietly convinced these folks of the error of their ways it would be believable to me.

Posted by: Rin | Feb 28, 2012 9:05:44 AM

22. New-New, please stop using the race. We're all so tired and bored of it.

Posted by: Artie | Feb 28, 2012 9:49:58 AM

23. @New-New:

You're one of those people who sees racism around every corner aren't you? People like you do a lot of harm when legitimate racism rears its head.

Despicable.

Posted by: Jack | Feb 28, 2012 10:08:19 AM

24. race isn't a card people play. it's a social institution thats deeply intertwined in our lives on both macro and micro levels. it's more and deeper than someone calling someone a name.

Posted by: new-new | Feb 28, 2012 11:00:16 AM

25. He killed.

He has the best laugh.

If you could rein him in a tad (the language) he could kill at the Oscars -- with cohost Tina Fey.

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Feb 28, 2012 12:33:35 PM