GLAAD | News | Roland Martin | Super Bowl

Roland Martin Makes Excuse for Homophobic Tweets in Statement

Martin_tweet

CNN contributor Roland Martin has released a statement on his blog following outrage over several of his tweets during the Super Bowl, one in which he advocated violence against 'dudes' who like David Beckham's underwear ad, and another in which he mocked a photo the network ran of a New England patriot in a pink suit.

Said Martin in the tweets: R_martin

If a dude at your Super Bowl party is hyped about David Beckham's H&M underwear ad, smack the ish out of him! #superbowl

Who the hell was that New England Patriot they just showed in a head to toe pink suit? Oh, he needs a visit from #teamwhipdatass

Now, Martin has responded in a blog post:

Fam, let me address the issue that some in the LGBT community have raised regarding some of my Super Bowl tweets yesterday.

I made several cracks about soccer as I do all the time. I was not referring to sexuality directly or indirectly regarding the David Beckham ad, and I’m sorry folks took it otherwise.

It was meant to be a deliberately over the top and sarcastic crack about soccer; I do not advocate violence of any kind against anyone gay, or not. As anyone who follows me on Twitter knows, anytime soccer comes up during football season it’s another chance for me to take a playful shot at soccer, nothing more.

GLAAD is not having Martin's excuse, noting that Martin has a history of anti-gay statements. Martin has compared being gay to being an alcoholic, has bragged about his wife leading men and women away from the homosexual 'lifestyle; and defended Tracy Morgan's stand-up joke about killing his gay son.

Sharon Lettman, executive director of the National Black Justice Coalition, the nation’s largest black LGBT civil rights organization, released a statement with regard to Martin's tweet:

“Even if he meant it in a jovial manner, Roland Martin’s words carry a real impact on the everyday lives of Black LGBT people, especially our youth. Given the number of rash murders, attacks and violent acts involving LGBT people of color, we cannot let statements such as this go unchecked. Silence is a form of acceptance and only perpetuates the problem.”

GLAAD has called on CNN to fire Martin.

Comments

1. sharon lettman for the win.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 6, 2012 12:58:46 PM

2. Even if it was a "soccer" joke, it's clear that it's nothing more than another tired "joke" about soccer being a less-masculine, gay sport... still unnecessary and borderline homophobic.

Posted by: Eric | Feb 6, 2012 1:01:19 PM

3. I wrote this in the earlier post about him, but it sincerely bears repeating.

As a black person, I can think of no other mainstream black individual who's done more damage to black folk in terms of gay issues than Roland Martin. His commentary toward gays has been at best...troubling, and at worst...absolutely disturbing. His words hurt BLACK gays and lesbians in the most monumental and detrimental manner, and it needs to be acknowledged.

In the most sensitive time and struggle between African Americans and gays finding our bridge, and those of us stuck inbetween that road, THIS man has been the biggest road block. His blogs have consistently belittled gay families, gay rights, and general acceptance. He is on a crusade, he is on a mission, and when my Aunt is quoting him....that's when I know he is terrible news for the plight of black LGBT.

CNN needs to have some serious intervention, or else they are promoting this man's long term bigoted beliefs.

Posted by: Damian | Feb 6, 2012 1:09:20 PM

4. This man has for years attempted to stomp EVERY gay rights arena. He's consitently belittled us, belittled our rights, and in virtually every single scenario...defended anti gay bigots under "democracy" banner. Comments about beating a man attracted to another man at your party aren't coming from a fun loving gay friendly dude, no they are coming from someone who has gone on record as saying gays have a negative impact on society. The evidence is overwhelming that his comments have made heavy damage.

Posted by: L.C | Feb 6, 2012 1:12:19 PM

5. let's see. He was against gay marriage, celebrated proposition 8, is against gay adoption, has stated that gay bullying is media exageration, and now we're told to believe the four anti same sex attraction tweets had nothing at all to do with gays. it's a scary, scary world when people like this are employed by the largest news network in the world as political commentators. how do you expect change when this guy with his bigotry is reporting your news?

Posted by: Real Talk | Feb 6, 2012 1:15:37 PM

6. NOT forgiven.

Posted by: Jack M | Feb 6, 2012 1:16:01 PM

7. Lots of football fans hate soccer and make disparaging remarks about it, so I accept his explanation. I also don't have a problem with the remark about someone wearing pink.

Neither of those comments is inherently homophobic.

So his explanations would be plausible if not for his homophobic history--but, given that he does have such a history, they are suspect.

Still, you lose credibility when you attack people for saying and doing things that are not really inherently anti-gay--if you are going to go after someone, there should at least be some real substance to the accusation and there is not a lot of substance in this case.

It bears repeating, though, that a white reporter with his homphobic history who had made the same tweets would already be gone by now.

Posted by: Rick | Feb 6, 2012 1:16:38 PM

8. just last week he and another commentator on CNN who is Republican were speaking, and the republican commentator said "Roland THINKS he's batman with his arguments" and Roland goes "No I know I'm batman, you're robin. nice tights but real men don't wear tights" it was really just odd, and almost militant the way he punched back. this guy seems to have an unhealthy obsession with masculinity and those types are always interesting cats. especially when they are also against all gay causes across the board.

Posted by: Aaron Limved | Feb 6, 2012 1:19:52 PM

9. I don't have any room in my stomach, television set, or living room for this man who has long been known for many years to harbor ill will toward LGBT. Ill will he's publically defended by aligning with bigoted groups and orginizations. You don't get the benefit of the doubt for your words, when your ACTIONS are equally ignorant as your speech.

Posted by: IonLights | Feb 6, 2012 1:22:50 PM

10. All this from a fat black guy in an ascot and boutonnière...
    Don't get me wrong...when I make fun of fat black guys in ascots I do it out of a sense of love for the game and good sportsmanship. People know this about me...

Posted by: Scott | Feb 6, 2012 1:28:21 PM

11. Damian, that was brilliantly written. well done, brother!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 6, 2012 1:29:14 PM

12. As a 31-year-old gay black man, Homophobes like Roland Martin put gay black males in a dangerous position. The racists will retaliate.

A few weeks ago, I was the victim of a verbal bashing by two obnoxious racists white gay men. Assuming I was a heterosexual black male, these two gay white men had begun to berate and disrespect me when I was trying to purchase my ticket from the kiosk at the movie theatre. My first instinct told me that the two men were gay, and that I was attacked by them because of the homophobia of some black people. Although I was so shock by how condescending their actions were towards me, I remained respectful to them because we were all gay and I was by myself. I should have told them that I am gay too. But I was so shocked by their weird actions.

But the two white gay men assumed that I was a heterosexual black male because of my appearance in a baseball cap, jeans, and jacket. Most importantly, people should never use racism to battle homophobia.

Posted by: Mel Smith | Feb 6, 2012 2:02:51 PM

13. What's with soccer hate? Why can't you enjoy one sport without knocking another?

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Feb 6, 2012 2:11:54 PM

14. Yup. Just like I said yesterday, a lame apology from someone who is a bad liar.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 6, 2012 2:21:55 PM

15. That trash of a human being is a HOMOPHOBE plain and simple. He's definitely not a "Christian" ... more like a CHINO. Christian In Name Only.

He needs to be fired now.

Posted by: FunMe | Feb 6, 2012 2:22:05 PM

16. @Mel Smith: Random attacks like what you describe are disturbing. But your description of the incident sounds as if you might have made assumptions. You say your "first instinct" was that they were gay after first having stated that they were, in fact, gay. I don't know how you would know this. And you say they assumed you were heterosexual because of your clothes but without any supporting info, I don't know how you would know that they thought you were heterosexual, let alone that they thought so specifically because of your jeans, etc.

Posted by: Gregv | Feb 6, 2012 2:24:10 PM

17. Oh please, no excuses. If he weren't being homophobic, he wouldn't have used "dude"

Posted by: Mike B. | Feb 6, 2012 2:28:21 PM

18. GregV, I have the appearance of what society defines as heterosexual black male.

Posted by: J. Smith | Feb 6, 2012 2:37:05 PM

19. Yeah, right. I suppose "beat the ish" is in reference to something obviously associated with soccer... like... uh... hmmmm... rhymes with swish... it's on the tip of my tongue... there must be some word...

Posted by: BobN | Feb 6, 2012 2:38:14 PM

20. Hey Roland! Check out the video here of the beating of a gay man in Atlanta then tell us that we need to "forgive and forget". Your history a nasty one towards LGBT, Roland. You need some serious growin-up lessons and you also need to have your butt kicked off CNN and anywhere else your allowed to spout your nonsense. Time to STFU, Roland, and say "bye-bye_. BTW, Roland, straight men DO look at underwear ads and they'll look at Beckham's ads and they'll buy the underwear. Methinks, Roland, you've got some issues within yourself. Get help.

Posted by: jamal49 | Feb 6, 2012 2:43:35 PM

21. Not only are the comments homophobic but they're completely unprofessional. I'm not in the public eye like he is - other than working as an administrator at a public university - but I try very hard not to post offensive or unprofessional comments or images on my Facebook page. Before posting something, I usually ask myself, "If my boss saw this, would I be embarrassed or worried about getting reprimanded?" If the answer is yes, then I don't post it. I would think that someone with a high profile public job like his should be doubly careful about what they post. And whether or not it's his personal or work account is irrelevant b/c Twitter is a public forum and his name is attached to it. So based on the unprofessionalism of the comments alone, he should be reprimanded or fired.

Posted by: Marti | Feb 6, 2012 2:50:59 PM

22. @Scott: Exactly, but you failed to mention the pale pink shirt; so I just did.

Posted by: AG | Feb 6, 2012 3:17:52 PM

23. Internalized homophobia of the worst, and predictable, kind.

Posted by: CarlottaVonFunkenhowzer | Feb 6, 2012 3:23:30 PM

24. I honestly had a laugh when I read this explanation. Is he *really* that dense? Oh please, Roland. We all know you're homophobic, there isn't any point for you to blatantly deny the obvious. Such a dangerous, hateful individual. And it's beyond obvious that he's now "digging in" here because he most certainly DOES NOT want to be made to look bad by gay people, who he looks down upon and sees as fundamentally flawed. So I do not expect an apology from Mr. Martin, and this issue will not be resolved until CNN makes their decision on whether to keep him on payroll or fire him.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 6, 2012 3:26:37 PM

25. I'm glad he's cleared that up.. I didn't realize how confused I was... As a gay man, I was busy looking at David Bekham's sinfullly good looks, when apparently I should have been thinking about soccer. Got it.

Posted by: BLu. | Feb 6, 2012 3:26:57 PM