Gay Marriage | News | Washington

GOP and Catholic Washington State Lawmaker Maureen Walsh's Emotional Speech for Marriage Equality: VIDEO

Walsh

Washington lawmaker Maureen Walsh choked up in her floor speech before the passage yesterday of the marriage equality bill. Walsh spoke about the death of her husband, and her daughter coming out to her.

“Nothing’s different. She’s still a fabulous human being. And some day, by God, I want to throw a wedding for that kid.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via buzzfeed)

Comments

1. well done, lass.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 9, 2012 1:53:46 PM

2. Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

Posted by: Kris | Feb 9, 2012 2:00:39 PM

3. Decades ago when I came out, the first thing out of my mother's mouth was, "You will die alone." It seems to me there many trying to fulfil that prophesy and punishment. It's not going to happen.

Posted by: Gus | Feb 9, 2012 2:08:11 PM

4. BRAVO!

Posted by: C.J. | Feb 9, 2012 2:10:32 PM

5. This was emotional, rational and full of love. I hope her daughter loves her mother as much as the mother loves her daughter.

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 9, 2012 2:18:00 PM

6. Harvey Milk was right. If they know us—and perhaps love us—they are more likely to vote for us.

Posted by: Timzilla | Feb 9, 2012 2:21:56 PM

7. Remarkable and from the heart.

Posted by: Carter | Feb 9, 2012 2:30:00 PM

8. I don't miss the sex.... I mean, I do, but....It's not the sex that I miss the most.

LOL frank, honest, charming, warm, and beautiful speech from the heart. We got some sensible Republicans up there in Washington state...who knew?

Posted by: Alex | Feb 9, 2012 2:59:03 PM

9. Share the hell out of this, people! Exactly what needs to be said.

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER | Feb 9, 2012 4:15:58 PM

10. I actually know Walsh's daugher. She was a roomate of my ex-boyfriend. She's a really amazing person. In this case the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Posted by: Stefan | Feb 9, 2012 4:36:39 PM

11. How wonderful. You can leave an email at her website saying thank you here: [url]https://dlr.leg.wa.gov/memberemail/mailform.aspx?chamber=h&district=16&position=1[/url]

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Feb 9, 2012 4:40:17 PM

12. Beautiful speech.

But it didn't move a single GOP vote.

And a quibble. She said she didn't want to wag her finger.

Posted by: BobN | Feb 9, 2012 5:44:25 PM

13. I love you, Aunt Maureen!

Posted by: Kenneth | Feb 9, 2012 6:44:12 PM

14. The tide is turning. Only Obama stands in the way.

Posted by: Bill Perdue | Feb 9, 2012 8:55:46 PM

15. Great speech!!! Thank you so much
    Bill WTF grow up

Posted by: GeorgeM | Feb 9, 2012 9:32:01 PM

16. I never thought a republican legislator would bring tears to the eyes of this old gay lifelong democrat but Maureen Walsh you sure did. This is the kind of friend gay people need to help us move to full equality not vulgar loud mouths like Howard Stern. And what do you bet that people like Maureen Walsh move more people to support our equality than loud mouth ranters like Stern?

Posted by: jack | Feb 9, 2012 10:05:53 PM

17. Maureen Walsh is very incorrect in her statement. She was extremely eloquent in her words and I thank her for them and her vote for equality.

This world needs more words of unity and less of division. Division and hate are truly what brings destruction to a civilization, not someones sexuality.

Posted by: J. Page | Feb 9, 2012 11:56:13 PM

18. @Tim Zilla... I hope that gays do not vote for someone just because they are gay. There are more factors to vote for a candidate then just because they have something in common with you.
    I have met too many heterophobic gays in my lifetime. All I ever wanted was equal rights, nothing less or more. The 21 Century is moving at a faster pace in that direction. I remember too many parents who abandon their children in the early days of AIDS or when their children came out to them. Thank goodness there are people and politicians like Rep. Maureen Walsh(R)! Thanks Andy, for posting this video... Hope is alive in Washington State... and elsewhere!

Posted by: Jerry Pritikin aka The Bleacher Preacherj | Feb 10, 2012 9:11:18 AM

19. I know and am friends with her daughter. She really is 'fabulous' :)

Posted by: Jess Sunier | Feb 10, 2012 12:58:27 PM

20. Now that is a representative of the people! So hard to find them these days. All politicians should take cues from her words that she said in regards to marriage equality.

Posted by: Redebbm | Feb 10, 2012 8:00:52 PM