Chris Christie | Chris Gregoire | Gay Marriage | New Jersey | News | Washington

Washington Governor Chris Gregoire's Letter to NJ Governor Chris Christie on Marriage Equality: READ

Gregoire_letter

As she promised to do, Washington Governor Chris Gregoire sent a letter to NJ Governor Chris Christie lobbying him on marriage equality. Christie has promised to take swift action to veto a marriage equality bill there.

Gregoire's office tells Think Progress LGBT she has received "no response to date".

And HERE are the beautiful remarks she delivered at the beginning of January, if you missed them.

Comments

1. I have fallen in love with this woman. GO WASHINGTON!!

Posted by: Lucas | Feb 15, 2012 8:30:11 PM

2. I hate to say it, but I see no point in her effort. It's admirable but useless.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 15, 2012 10:00:04 PM

3. Seems a little pro forma. I was hoping she'd call Christie, and perhaps that's to be part of her effort. But even as just the written component that can be shown to the world and be a record, it comes off a little weak - imo.

Granted, I just read a letter from one of the Prop 8 plaintiffs (originally from New Jersey) to Governor Christie that knocked my socks off ... so Governor Gregoire's letter doesn't do well by way of comparison.

Posted by: Zlick | Feb 15, 2012 10:40:09 PM

4. @Zlick ... while they may be fellow governors, they're also relative strangers to each other. It would come off as inappropriate if Governor Gregoire was overly familiar in her initial attempt to reach out to Christie.

She also wants to be respectful of his personal convictions, hence couching the letter in terms of her own coming to terms with the issue.

Posted by: RJ | Feb 15, 2012 10:59:54 PM

5. A sitting governor advocating for equality after getting it passed in her state isn't useless. She didn't have to do this, she chose to. If every politician, if every person, who shares this view spoke out we'd get there that much faster. Really see nothing to criticize here. A-hole Christie, on the other hand, deserves plenty of wrath . . .

Posted by: Ernie | Feb 15, 2012 11:04:26 PM

6. Dear Governor Gregoire:
    Thank you for your kind note.

Unfortunately, your thoughfulness on the matter of gay marriage, or sorry, "marriage equality" as you call it, is meaningless to me. You see, even though I am the governor of a fairly liberal state, where polls show the majority of people are in favor of it, and the duly elected legislature seems poised to pass it, I am a craven fat bastard, who has designs on running for national office in today's Republican party. That means I must show no courage or common sense, and must become a rabid, anti-gay bigot to ensure Republican primary voters might vote for me four years from now, even though my true feelings on the matter are, frankly, whatever.

So you see, the lives of lesbians and gays in New Jersey are subject to my political ambitions and the craziness of the extreme right in places far from my state.
    Good day to you, madam. Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time for my donut break.
    Sincerely,
    Chris

Posted by: SoLeftImRight | Feb 15, 2012 11:47:31 PM

7. Not to be nit-picky, but are you sure that's real? It is horribly written. "Now in my eight year as Governor, I have dealt with the issue all eight years," is completely redundant, whereas "I've reached a point where I've found my place," is meaningless. I hope this is a fake, or whoever drafted such a poorly written letter is fired.

Posted by: Mike8787 | Feb 16, 2012 12:27:18 AM

8. Governor Gregoire is truely a wonderful lady! I wish she were to run for one last term of office because she has done so much good for my state and its people. If you ever see this christine; know that you will always have my full support in all your endeavors,
    Sincerely,
    A (now able to get married) Washington State Citizen!!

P.S. good luck with the Idiot, i mean chris christie...

Posted by: John Hisle | Feb 16, 2012 12:32:39 AM

9. Does anyone here really believe that Krispy will listen to a govenor from another state much less a female govenor?

My gof people, he was asked by America to run for president of these United States. Who does this woman think she is trying to give him advice?
    [sarcasm off]

Posted by: Dale | Feb 16, 2012 12:53:46 AM

10. I am now going to end all my letters, "all the best to you, your family ... and the people of New Jersey."

Posted by: Ruddigore | Feb 16, 2012 1:30:51 AM

11. @Mike8787: I agree that it's awkwardly worded, but her signature is even more bizarre.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 16, 2012 4:41:48 AM

12. Nice work. But isn't sad, for all of us, that so many
    catholic politicians have to struggle with personal journeys to overcome their prejudice (if they do) to do the right thing.

Incredibly brainwashed.

Posted by: rick scatorum | Feb 16, 2012 4:58:14 AM

13. I'd like to point out that she did this of her own volition, and as a fellow governor and 'evolved' catholic, it carries more weight than most. I'm sure it won't change his mind, but every single step in the journey matters. Maybe it will change the minds of some legislators needed for an override, or add a little more oomph to the whole societal debate. Good for her!

Posted by: John | Feb 16, 2012 8:24:26 AM

14. The only way things will change is if the LGBT community shows up in force with their straight allies at the polls. You are not going to change a bigots mind but fear of not getting re-elected will change their minds. Right now in the GOP the candidates brag, yes brag that they are bigots. They brag about how if they were president they would strip all rights from the LGBT community. There is one way to stop them and that's at the polls. There are a lot of straight allies out there. It's time the two unite as one and show some force. Make it clear that social issues are just as important as economic issues and you will not stand for a candidate that discriminates.

Posted by: Carlton W | Feb 17, 2012 9:48:19 AM