Gay Man Begs Obama to Halt Deportation of His Husband Under DOMA: VIDEO

Writes Brian:

Mr. President I need your help. I am calling on you to stop the deportation of my husband. Not with vague references to a deportation policy that has been reformed to keep families together, but with explicit written directives to stop deportations of couples like, who but for DOMA, would have access to a green card. I deserve to see that in writing. It is an outrage that the administration hides behind general language, and leaves it up to local ICE officials to implement “prosecutorial discretion” guidelines. I have filed a green card petition for Alfonso on the basis of our marriage.

Stop the Deportations has a petition, urging U.S. officials to stop deportation of married gay binational couples.

Comments

1. JONES says

President Obama

This is where you show yourself to be a leader. Respond to this direct appeal from the very ones who have supported you and now need your help. “Took my husband away in chains.” Take a hard look at those words. Do the right thing. Spend some political capitol and you will garner much greater in return.

2. Carlos Abreu says

Listening to them tell their story is heartbreaking. I’d go crazy. Hugs, love and all my hope for a happy outcome for these men and others in the same situation.

3. joe says

I had to move to Canada to be with my partner – who is Canadian. We met 13 years ago and it was easier for me to come here based on our relationship. I still miss seeing my family every weekend for family dinners and get togethers.

4. Francis says

Such a tragic story, so heartbreaking. I feel so much for Brian and Alfonso, their lives completely being in limbo. Based on recent history, Alfonso almost certainly won’t be deported since deportation cases like this have been consistently halted for the last several months. The problem is that these couples have to deal with this whatsoever and that DOMA is on the books at all. DOMA is so completely inhumane and has to be repealed. The pressure needs to be ON the federal government, our legislators and Obama to do the right thing here.

5. Francis says

Also, it must be noted that under the Obama administration there has been a shift in immigration policy that focuses less on people who have overstayed or cannot attain visas, partially with DOMA in mind. Although DOMA is obviously horrible and NOT enough has been done to repeal it, I hope people do not completely go on all-out attack against Obama, because most LGBTQ couples in situations such as these have been sparred recently. Now it’s time for a complete repeal of this law. Stories like this make immigration issues and DOMA so much more human and should open eyes to how horrible and indefensible the law is.

6. Scott says

@ JNJ- 20 years would seem like a long enough time for someone to have become a naturalized citizen, but as they said in the video, his family has applied for citizenship or green cards for years, and they haven’t been granted. I would be somewhat suspicious too, if it weren’t for the fact that several of my straight friends from South America have been in the country anywhere from 10 to 17 years- coming here as minors- and have been applying for citizenship for years- and nothing has moved on their cases.

I don’t know for sure if they (ICE, State Dep.) have changed this- but one issue that was identified in the past year or so is that a lot of the quotas for Central and South American countries are nearly the same as some Scandinavian and European countries- which typically have low immigration rates compared to Central and South American countries. That’s one quota ruling that could be tweaked- and obviously the repeal of this completely useless-save for harming US citizens- law, DOMA.

7. Max says

@JNJ
    Because the U.S. has an immigration system wherein family reunification is at the top of the list, but there’s also a HUGE backlog for how these cases are handled. If Alfonso has applied through an immediate family member who is a U.S. citizen (parent, child, sibling), it can 12-15 take years before he’s even called in for an interview since Mexico has probably of the the longest wait-lists under this provision.

If he were to marry his U.S. partner, as all heterosexual couples can, his process for residency would start within months, and after 5 years (or so) of being a resident of the U.S., he can apply for citizenship.

8. says

If someone made this up in a novel and said that the USA would do this I would never have believed it.

What has happened to openness and tolerance in the USA ? They are married !
    Shouldn’t other countries now retaliate…..if a US citizen is married to a European shouldn’t residence rights be denied to that US citizen in all Europe and shouldn’t he be locked up for weeks and deported…..no matter how long he has lived in Europe.
    Let’s be reciprocal !

That might make the US Govt sit up and take notice.
    Or is the policy just anti-gay, or xenophobic ?

9. gloria mercado says

Why Deportation ?? The husband is American so…..He is considered an American Citizen….Right??? This is Crazy……..There is no Respect nor justice in this planet anymore……………..

10. Michaelandfred says

And not everyone WANTS to be a U.S. citizen or give up their own country. After being married to a US citizen you get residency and can ask for green card later, if you want, but you don’t have to become a citizen. I have life long German residency through my German civil union. My husband should get the same. Not everyone wants to be an American. They just want to live with their spouse in peace like heterosexuals do all over the planet.

I’m so exhausted, and furious, after 25 years of jumping through hoops, dealing with some government worker pissed because they didnt get laid last night, immigration officers who don’t like our shoes or that we can afford to travel or that we’re gay or that it’s ….Tuesday. :-(

11. Josh says

Some people can be so unsensitive! We were upset when the majority of African Americans voted No on Prop 8- How can they vote No when they particularly understand discrimination and injustice? Well…we have people in our own community who pretty much act like they African American Community: If it doesn’t affect me then I don’t really care. Our society is pretty selfish:First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew. … ” ..this famous quote is something we all need to think when it comes to this injustice affecting some of our brother’s and sister’s in our Coummunity. This may not affect you but we all agree that is just not fair and we need to help our brothers and sisters….

12. magyart says

Gay or straight, once you come here illegally, it’s almost impossible to legallize your status without returning home and getting “in line”. Legally married heterosexual couples have the same problem and concerns. The govt. policy was formed so as to NOT reward those that have ignored the legal pathway to citizenship.

As for the “immigration hold”, I bet Alfonso has a history with Homeland Security. Perhaps a prior order to leave the country, a prior arrest for illegal entry……

Love is blind and sometimes a good relationship suffers the consequences of poor choices we made earlier in life. I hope the best for both of them. Good luck to you.

13. Eric says

Magy…..your comments are terrible. There is no reason at all to assume that Alfonso has any history at all with Homeland Security. And, even if he did, it doesnt change the fact that DOMA completely violates the civil rights of legally married gay couples..such as here in my home of Massachusetts. Obama has produced great progress for the LGBT community, but it is time for him to lead and issue an executive order to stop the deportation of foreign-born, legally married spouses. He could do this today if he wanted and the nightmare these couples are in would be over. But he also needs to go further with an all out push to repeal DOMA. its a hugely discriminatory law in a land that supposedly prides itself on everyone being treated equally.

14. John says

Here’s my question: Did Alfonso have a “Hold” on his status before he got married? If so, I understand why he was taken in. Depending on the “why” of that hold would decide the outcome of my support. However, from first impression I do side with this couple since the relationship appears clearly genuine. When I married a foreigner, I had to take her to INS and have everything cleared. It should be no different for anyone else as its to protect this countries interest (scam wives, scam husbands). I believe you should be applying for citizenship if you plan to stay in this country so you can vote and take part in our country. 20 years here is a long time. Best to this married couple though.

15. Donald says

It is absolutely CRIMINAL that in this day and age the USA still does not allow gay people to marry – or at the VERY MINIMUM allow gay citizens to sponsor their same sex significant others for permanent residence/citizenship. It’s time for DOMA to be found UNCONSTITUTIONAL (as it most definitely is) and allow these couples to enjoy their LIFE, LIBERTY and PURSUIT of HAPPINESS as the Declaration of Independence states! How can we (the US) claim to be a country with free citizens when 10% of the population isn’t free to marry the person of their choosing? How hypocritical to claim we are bestowing freedom on citizens of other countries (through war and threats) when 10% our OWN CITIZENS aren’t free to make the most important life decision there is – who to share the rest of their lives with. (And who to make their legal next-of-kin.) SHAME on this country for protecting laws that enforce bigotry.