Elizabeth Warren Calls on Obama to Finish Evolving on Marriage Equality, Says DNC Should Embrace Plank

In an interview with the Washington Blade's Chris Johnson, Elizabeth Warren, who is running to unseat Senator Scott Brown in Massachusetts, said she would lead on LGBT rights and called for her party to embrace marriage equality in its platform, and Obama to speak out publicly in support of it.

WarrenWarren called on President Obama to complete his now 17-month-old “evolution” and endorse marriage equality. She also said she supports the call for a marriage equality plank in the Democratic Party platform this September.

Asked whether she wants Obama to finish evolving and support same-sex marriage, Warren chuckled and responded that was indeed her view. “I want to see the president evolve because I believe that is right; marriage equality is morally right,” Warren said.

Warren expressed similar sentiments about the Democratic Party platform, saying it would build support for ending the anti-gay Defense of Marriage Act.

“I’d be glad to see it included in the Democratic platform,” she said. “It helps raise awareness of the impact of DOMA and it helps build support to repeal it.”

Warren also spoke out against DOMA, calling it "institutionalized discrimination" and also discussed her opponent:

Warren said Brown’s vote on “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” repeal was “a good vote” and that he should be commended for it, but added she’d step up the LGBT advocacy if elected to the Senate.

“I’ll be there on every vote,” Warren said. “I’ll be there not just to provide a vote, but leadership, and I think that’s what the LGBT community really needs.”

Elizabeth Warren pledges to lead on LGBT rights [washington blade]

Comments

1. Rick says

I personally like her, but a) she won’t beat Scott Brown, and b) she has no chance of ever being on a national ticket, given her temperment (in reference to the 2016 comment above).

2. sparks says

I had a very early and very long day. I’m sure glad I popped by here to catch up on Towleroad posts – especially when a few of them spotlight a couple of our terrific allies! Hopefully Ms. Warren will soon end Brown’s paragraph in history and join the good fight with Kirstin Gillibrand, Tammy Baldwin, Patrick Murphy, etc.

3. Patric says

Yesterday, the always predictable Ratbastard posted on this site to defend Scott Brown’s refusal to endorse marriage equality or repeal of DOMA and to label Elizabeth Warten a “tool” whom “Massachusetts needs . . . like a hole in the head” and to label her supporters
    as douchebags. No doubt this latest announcement by Ms. Warren of her support for our community will prompt another barrage of criticism from Republican apologists like Ratbastard and the rest of the pathetically self-loathing GOProud/Log Cabin crowd.

4. MikeBoston says

She is a personal hero of mine. Even before she went on the record to support civil marriage equality, she won me over with her completely logical approach to budget reform. And I actually get to vote for her in Mass.

5. No kidding says

It will be a sad day in the history of Massachusetts when a candidate like Elizabeth Warren can’t beat a candidate like Scott Brown. I hear that it will be a tough race for Warren to win. Has Massachusetts succumbed to the red neck ignorance so prevalent in the “red states” too? Watching from a distance and hoping for the best.

6. say what says

rick

the latest PPP poll that came out yesterday has her ahead of brown by 5%

all polls up till last week has her ahead

3 polls last week has brown winning 1 of which was rasmussen the worse rated pollster ever and the other 2 local pollsters with no national track record on accuracy

PPP is rated as one of the most accurate pollsters so it looks like Warren will in fact beat brown

7. Name: says

He can’t evolve until after the election after which he’s allowed to fully evolve and when no longer in office and nothing to lose he can evolve proudly like the rest.

8. say what says

rick

yes PPP is partisan but it is also rated the most accurate since 2008

Can’t beat their track record

Up till last week ALL pollsters like pew, gallo, etc had warren ahead

Last weeks polls were the outlier….3 of them with 1 being hack rasmussen

i know brown, u, the msm, and repub party had a collective orgasm last week……but as mentioned

all polls pre last week showed Warren ahead……last week rasmussen and 2 ricky dink pollsters said something diff, this week PPP rated the most accurate pollster since 2008 has warren ahead = the 3 polls last week were obvious outliers and you, brown, repubs, the msms suffered from premature ejaculation

😛

9. Patric says

Good point, Kiwi.

I expect that this will be a difficult race as Scott Brown has received more donations from investment banks than any other Senator and, despite having voted with Republican leadership 75% of the time and refusing to support marriage equality, ENDA or repeal of DOMA, he will market himself to the gullible as a moderate, independent, maverick Northeastern Republican. (If you want a small taste of the truth about Brown, check out this laundry list of some of his “accomplishments” written by some right-wing loon: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2825758/posts )

However, Rick, I disagree with your assertion that incumbents usually gain strength late in a campaign. It has long been thought by political commentators that undecided voters tend to break against the incumbent in close elections and, while recently that thinking has been called into question by elections like the 2004 presidential election, still those elections show the incumbent doing no better than evenly splitting late-deciders. http://politicaldictionary.com/words/incumbent-rule/

10. Rick says

@Say What I am not a Republican and I like Elizabeth Warren, as I said. On the other hand, I hardly think the guy who broke the roadblock on DADT repeal is the devil incarnate…..and I do think he deserves some credit for that.

Regardless, Brown has been the most popular politician in Massachusetts since he was elected and popular incumbents rarely lose, minus a major scandal or some other big event.