Arizona | News | Paul Babeu

Ex-Boyfriend Files $1 Million Lawsuit Against Sheriff Paul Babeu

Babeu_orozco

Pinal County, Arizona Sheriff Paul Babeu is now facing a lawsuit from his ex-boyfriend Jose Orozcoseeking $1 million in damages, The Republic reports:

The notice of claim, which attorneys for Jose Orozco filed with the sheriff and the county's Board of Supervisors, seeks $1 million in damages, according to County Manager Fritz Behring.  Additional details about the notice of claim were unavailable Monday night. Neither Orozco, nor Orozco's lawyer, Melissa Weiss-Riner, could be reached for comment. Babeu's lawyer also could not be reached.

Tim Gaffney, Sheriff's Office director of communications and grants, issued this statement in response to a request for comment: "A notice of claim was provided to our office earlier today regarding this matter. As with any pending civil litigation, it would be inappropriate to comment at this time."

Comments

1. Wow...I thought I had some awful tricking stories. But nothing compares to "Hey, remember that time I hooked up with a dude and then he sued me for $1 million? Boy that was weird, huh?"

Posted by: ATLJason | Mar 6, 2012 11:27:39 AM

2. if Babeu really threatened Orozco with deportation as Orozco claims, then I hope he takes Babeu for everything he's got. and then some.

Posted by: antb | Mar 6, 2012 11:30:04 AM

3. Does anyone else picture Jose holding his pinky to his lips?

One MEEEELION Dollars!

Posted by: endo | Mar 6, 2012 11:34:36 AM

4. 1 million? What happened to standing up for ideals not cash? Anyway, a judge will sort that out.

Posted by: Chris | Mar 6, 2012 11:36:18 AM

5. Jesus Christ, enough with these two. Get back together and STFU or go to court and figure it out

O BTW thats a cool looking bowling alley in the picture on top.

Posted by: GeorgeM | Mar 6, 2012 11:36:55 AM

6. Allegedly using the power of the State to get a guy to have sex with you is pretty revolting, Babeu. If you're found guilty, I hope you suffer the maximum penalty available.

This guy is not suitable for political office, not suitable for law enforcement...though perfectly at home in the GOP.

Posted by: Dagoril | Mar 6, 2012 11:36:55 AM

7. I'm wondering what the basis of the lawsuit is. Should be interesting.

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 6, 2012 11:41:31 AM

8. this guy is GOProud ready!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 6, 2012 11:42:21 AM

9. "Allegedly using the power of the State to get a guy to have sex with you is pretty revolting"

Uh, what? LOL! That's not even what Jose is accusing him of, much less what actually happened.

I love how stories like this take on urban legend status.

Posted by: endo | Mar 6, 2012 11:43:20 AM

10. Let me run out to the car and get my surprised face.

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 6, 2012 11:53:05 AM

11. Like sands in the hourglass so are the Gays of Our Life.

These two are starting to make Soaps look like normal life.

Posted by: AggieCowboy | Mar 6, 2012 11:55:23 AM

12. I, too, am sick of hearing about these two. The sheriff is a lout, but I'm also beginning to wonder about the boyfriend. Why would anyone date that sheriff? It doesn't show the best of judgment on his part.

Posted by: august | Mar 6, 2012 11:58:55 AM

13. You took tjhe words right out of my keypad, Aggiecowboy! Babeu is the new Susan Lucci!!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 6, 2012 12:00:39 PM

14. "He threatened to deport me, even though my visas ran out and I was taking advantage of the system. Give me a million dollars for this pain and suffering!!"

What a pathetic loser. Go home already.

Posted by: Artie | Mar 6, 2012 12:08:50 PM

15. BEGINNING to wonder about the boyfriend, August? He's been crazy all along! Paul may be GOP scum, but Jose is a scorned Latin who had a public meltdown when he found out his f-buddy had other f-buddies.

Neither of these people are saints. But I agree with other commenters, this is better than daytime television!

Posted by: endo | Mar 6, 2012 12:09:58 PM

16. Out of court settlement. Quickly.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Mar 6, 2012 12:21:18 PM

17. Perfect. What a lovely couple.

Posted by: uffda | Mar 6, 2012 12:45:45 PM

18. Paging Gloria Allred in 3-2-1......

Seriously, though, this lawsuit sounds totally baseless. This relationship has never been described as anything but consensual and I've seen no evidence that Babeu used his official position to take any adverse action against Jose. Instead, I see this as a morally-challenged hypocrite (Babeu) being dogged by a scorned lover who exceeded the allowable limits of his visa. I hope Jose doesn't see a single one of my taxpayer dollars go into his pocket as the result of this bogus lawsuit, because we will be the ones paying for this - not Babeu personally. Enough is enough.

Posted by: Jay007 | Mar 6, 2012 12:55:32 PM

19. I have a feeling they will get back together someday.

Posted by: Dev | Mar 6, 2012 1:03:46 PM

20. What kind of sheriff has a million dollars to begin with???!!!

Posted by: Jason | Mar 6, 2012 1:12:27 PM

21. @GeorgeM & Dev

+10...This is soooooooo messy that it MUST be love.

Posted by: Chitown kev | Mar 6, 2012 1:13:37 PM

22. What's the Spanish term for gold-digger?

Posted by: Ronster | Mar 6, 2012 1:28:23 PM

23. I'm showing this to my US boyfriend, in case he gets any ideas !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 6, 2012 2:01:49 PM

24. Babeu is a single guy who's led an *cough* active personal life. Nothing wrong with that. Did he harass or rape anyone underage? Anyone pass the age of consent? Anyone under his power as a sheriff or other duties? Can anyone answer these questions, because this is what it all comes down to.

On the other hand, is he unethical? Sounds like it.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 6, 2012 2:19:36 PM

25. I don't have any sympathy for illegal immigrants who want to abuse the system. Your first act on this soil was an illegal act.

Posted by: L.C | Mar 6, 2012 2:41:53 PM