Colton Cumbie | News | Survivor

BigGayDeal.com

So How's the Gay Republican Doing on 'Survivor'? - VIDEOS

Colton

Back in January I noted that Colton Cumbie (above, right), a gay Republican, was set to compete in Survivor: One World, and was being billed as a villain.

So how's he doing?

Well he's exposed himself as a racist, calling the African-American stand-up comic Bill "ghetto trash" and telling him to "get a real job" and explaining that he has Black people in his life (his housekeeper), and insensitive to little people (he calls Leif an "Oompah-Loompah" to his face, and says "that little Munchkin needs to get knocked back to Oz."

In other words. the villain thing is going as planned.

Check out the astonishing clips (spoilers, especially the 4th tribal council video),
AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. WOW!! He's a keeper.

Posted by: Allen | Mar 8, 2012 10:31:28 AM

2. The worst type of gay man - nasty, intolerant, bitchy

Posted by: Remote Patrolled | Mar 8, 2012 10:35:50 AM

3. Has received his lifetime membership to GOProud yet?

Posted by: Taylor | Mar 8, 2012 10:36:50 AM

4. Colton's mummy must be so GOProud of him

Posted by: Gus | Mar 8, 2012 10:37:35 AM

5. I watch Survivor all the time and he is truly an embarrassment to gay men.

Sidebar: some of his tribemates are SMOKIN' HOT. I am enjoying watching the eye candy this season.

Posted by: ATLJason | Mar 8, 2012 10:38:09 AM

6. I never watch this crap, but since I switched to CBS in the morning, my TV kind of stays there till I change it. She's a cartoon...a lip pursing, eye rolling, heinous one. She ain't gonna win, an no one is going to feel bad if someone punches her in the face.

Posted by: doug | Mar 8, 2012 10:38:23 AM

7. Hate this little twerp. Did not like him from the start and he has just gotten worse. He has so many phobias I am surprised he is not homophobic.

Posted by: Jayson | Mar 8, 2012 10:40:07 AM

8. hopefully he's knocked off his high-horse soon and is embarrassed by his behavior - however I highly doubt it.

Posted by: Dan | Mar 8, 2012 10:41:04 AM

9. Good god, is this show still on?

Posted by: Michael W. | Mar 8, 2012 10:41:04 AM

10. So anti gay bigot/Survivor producer Mark Burnett wants to make gay people look bad by putting our worst face forward?? SHOCKER!! Any gay watching this trash/propaganda from the right wing religious nut factory should be as ashamed of themlves as whoever this gay republican loser is.

Posted by: gaylib | Mar 8, 2012 10:46:45 AM

11. @gaylib: It only took 24 seasons for a true gay villain. Last season the villain was a raging Christian. If anything, Burnett is an equal opportunity offender. And no one is shoving words in Colton's mouth. He is doing this to himself. He is truly horrid and we are only FOUR episodes in.

Posted by: AJ | Mar 8, 2012 11:00:11 AM

12. How is Mark Burnett anti-gay?

The Voice is very gay friendly and a gay man won the first season of Survivor. His shows always cast gay men and women.

Have I missed some anti-gay story about Burnett?

Posted by: Remote Patrolled | Mar 8, 2012 11:00:26 AM

13. "The worst type of gay man - nasty, intolerant, bitchy"

He'd fit in perfectly here!

Posted by: Joe | Mar 8, 2012 11:05:01 AM

14. I'm a gay moderate (registered independent) and have some conservative views. Please note: this queen most definitely does not represent me or anyone else who is even mildly conservative.

He's a loser, a caricature, and a ridiculously easy target.

Posted by: Artie | Mar 8, 2012 11:07:02 AM

15. A racist douchy gay republican. I'm shocked.
    NOT.

Posted by: QJ201 | Mar 8, 2012 11:07:26 AM

16. Just a couple things: "get a real job" and "ghetto trash" are quite race-independent. I have called many people "ghetto trash" throughout my life, and trust me, they came in ALL colors. It's a kind of behavior, not a race, so it's a little, dare I say it, racist to assume that everyone in "the ghetto" is a minority.

Posted by: Joey Y | Mar 8, 2012 11:14:24 AM

17. Why didn't he get voted off? Bill is hot.

Posted by: realitythink | Mar 8, 2012 11:16:34 AM

18. Gay or straight, the kid is a disgusting human.

Posted by: Bart | Mar 8, 2012 11:22:38 AM

19. So Joey your racist comments aren't racist just because you've also aimed them at white people and/or your own race?

Sorry pal, you are still a racist.

Posted by: josh | Mar 8, 2012 11:25:39 AM

20. A rich, self-entitled, self-important prissy little gay queen. I think I just threw up in my mouth.

Posted by: Continuum | Mar 8, 2012 11:26:06 AM

21. The very FIRST winner of Survivor was an openly gay man -- and a TV-perfect blend of villain and crafty player.

A second gay male winner, Todd, was a very watchable winner, a bit back-stabbing, but most people are to win this game.

Colton is a nasty little twit with no redeeming values. He will not be the third gay male winner, and he's only ruining his life by conducting himself in such a vile manner.

And we can delight in laughing at this monster because he's everything wrong about the world today.

Posted by: Gregoire | Mar 8, 2012 11:29:35 AM

22. Mark Burnett is a close friend and congregant of Joel Osteen, a rabidly gay evangelical. He is NOT an ally to our community and always does his best to paint gays as stereotypes or complete jerks. This is the first gay villain on survivor? are you kidding? Watch if you want, but you're supporting the enemy.

Posted by: gaylib | Mar 8, 2012 11:32:08 AM

23. Typical conservative. Leave them out in public and they show themselves as the fools they are.

Posted by: Sarm | Mar 8, 2012 11:33:01 AM

24. O.K. many people do not watch the show. The problem here is that for many people who have no contact with gay people they believe what they see on T.V.

In an election year and with many people who want to vilify us you have one of the worse portraits since Stephen Fetchit. We are trying to get many people who are on the fence with gay rights, adoption, DOMA, don't ask don't tell.... So AGAIN we have another gay person who plays to the extreme. Does he represent us? I sure hope not. Unfortunately try telling that to someone who's global view is what they see on T.V. This is not unusual. Many people get their world view from T.V. (how many of us truely knows what exactly is going on in Iran, Botswana, Nepal etc?)

Survivor plays to a certain demographics. Many of the same demographic we need this election year if we are going to get more people elected. This is why it is important. Yet you have a gay, Southern Republican who is a bigot to the demographic that is still on the fence---our African American population, Southerns, moderate Republicans and older Americans.

Sure it is entertainment but do we really need this now when we are fighting for gay rights and candidates that are understanding to our cause? It just makes our fight a bit harder. Look at Rick Santorum. Who really believe that anyone would listen to him? We need to be changing opinions not giving people a reason to hold on to their sterotypes.

Posted by: Dawson | Mar 8, 2012 11:37:09 AM

25. I've never been moved to comment on Towleroad, but Survivor is my guilty pleasure and so here are my paltry two cents.

During last night's "Tribal Council," when Colton made many of the comments referred to in the post, I was - for the first time in my viewing history - nearly compelled to change the channel. His behavior and statements were appalling.

To Joey Y: I agree with you in the sense that some of his phrasing, epithets and name-calling are race neutral - but only if taken out of context. However, Colton himself provided the context when the host, Jeff Probst, gave him an opportunity to defend himself against the insinuation that his dislike of Bill was tinged with racism. Jeff encouraged him to speak of the black people in his life and he could name only his black maid, a woman he deemed "a member of the family." To which Jeff responded: A PAID member of the family. Colton's rejoinder was as mind boggling for its vacuousness as it was for its inherent racism.

Not an overt racism, mind you, but the insidious, below-the-surface kind, the kind that the movie The Help attempted to address. Not a perfect analogy by any means, but his comment reminded me a bit of those people in our lives who argue against gay marriage; when rightly called homophobes, they often protest, "But some of my best friends are gay!" Or black. Or Asian. Or whatever one's prejudice may be.

All that said... it made for compelling television. The jovial, struggling but proud and open-minded stand-up comic, and the seemingly dense male model, came off as the closest approximation to heroes last night, while the gay man - usually a thoughtful, charming misfit, victim, or underdog - revealed himself for a shallow, uncultured, classist bigot. I can't stand him, and I am now quite engaged in witnessing his downfall.

Finally, I'll admit that Colton may deserve just a teeny, tiny benefit of the doubt. These shows are all edited from thousands of hours of footage to create a narrative. Real life events are re-ordered and chopped up to give the viewers a story that is not always entirely accurate. It's possible that Colton is not quite as awful a human being as he made himself out to be. But he's still pretty damn bad.

Posted by: Chris | Mar 8, 2012 11:49:38 AM