Film | Nathaniel Rogers | News

Hot Movie Moment: 'Like Crazy' vs. 'Weekend'

Likecrazy-summer
Felicity Jones is "like crazy" for sex with Anton Yelchin.

BY NATHANIEL ROGERS

Guestblogger One of last year's modest indie hits, Like Crazy, hit DVD and Blu-Ray yesterday and it makes for an interesting comparison piece with the gay indie Weekend which you've undoubtedly seen (thrice?) by now. Like Crazy is about two college kids Jacob (Anton Yelchin) and Anna (Felicity Jones) in California who fall crazy in love after basically one date shortly before graduation. The catch is that she (Felicity Jones) is from England and her student visa is about to expire. She violates her visa for the noble purpose of lots of sex with her dishevelled hottie boyfriend. When she flies back to England for a wedding things get much more complicated.

In both movies two young lovers fall hard for each other with the ocean threatening to separate them. In both movies the actors nail very specific beats like this one here at the tail end of Like Crazy's first date. Anna is reading some of her precocious poetry to Jacob. Yelchin does the best 'sleepy/horny trying to pay attention to his date's ramblings instead of fantasizing about impending nakedness' face you may have ever seen in the movies. (Not sure how marketable that is as an acting skill but...well done, Anton!)

So why does Weekend resonate so much and Like Crazy only in fits and starts?

MORE AFTER THE JUMP...

Like-sleepy

It doesn't matter if you're gay or straight watching them because movie love is pansexual. Gay people have been able to project themselves on to big screen hetero romances since time began (and eventually straight people will be able to do the reverse). My best guess in the difference of profound feeling is that Weekend is super-specific, inviting us into the intimacy, both sexually and conversationally like an invisible third lover while Like Crazy opts for shorthand and montage (like an entire summer shown in still flashcuts of the couple in bed) to signify "Falling in Love" rather than inviting us to do it in real time.

Like-jennifer

Of course to watch it now you may feel that Anton Yelchin is only this romantically tortured because he has to keep letting his other girl Jennifer Lawrence go. Her superstardom is just around the corner with Hunger Games (opening March 23rd). What horrible timing to lose her now!

Nathaniel Rogers would live in the movie theater but for the poor internet reception. He blogs daily at the Film Experience. Follow him on Twitter @nathanielr.

Comments

1. Well, my bf and I were perhaps the only gays to find Weekend completely meh. But I love me some Anton Yelchin, so I think I'll give this one a shot.

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 7, 2012 1:49:21 PM

2. I was completely underwhelmed by Weekend. I'd even go so far as to say I did not enjoy the film.

Posted by: Chris | Mar 7, 2012 2:21:44 PM

3. Yay, there's 3 of us!

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 7, 2012 2:43:49 PM

4. I really enjoyed Weekend and am looking forward to its release on Blu-Ray on March 19.

Posted by: Guy from DC | Mar 7, 2012 2:53:28 PM

5. Like Crazy is trash. They would have been together if they hadn't decided to blow off immigration. They make one really stupid decision at the beginning of the movie and it's nearly impossible to care about them because they created their own problem.

Posted by: tycom | Mar 7, 2012 2:53:59 PM

6. Ok, make that 4. BUT, I think I approached it with certain expectations, and it wasn't the movie I was expecting (for example, the constant getting high aspect made me doubt the sincerity of what was going on between the guys. NO ONE I know gets high THAT often). I plan on giving it a more open-minded viewing on dvd. If nothing else, the guys are very nice to look at!

LIke Crazy, on the other hand...couldn't even watch it to the end. The whole thing is so self-absorbed, the characters so annoyingly adolescent and, well, stupid, that they deserve the results of their self-created situation. The only good thing about the flick is Jennifer Lawrence, and I even had trouble believing that she could be so attracted to Yelchin. No open-minded second viewing for Like Crazy.

Posted by: jim | Mar 7, 2012 3:04:01 PM

7. "NO ONE I know gets high THAT often)."

Really? Almost everyone I know will smoke a couple joints on the weekend if they're feeling festive (or stressed).

Anyway, to my mind the beauty of Weekend is that Tom Cullen's character is completely transformed. He's had relationships, maybe even been in love. But he's never before imagined himself being happy. Over the course of Weekend he sheds his internalized homophobia, and becomes a fully mature human being.

That's not something you see every day at the movies. And when it's done with the conviction and emotion of Weekend, that's art.

Posted by: BABH | Mar 7, 2012 3:39:56 PM

8. They are both similar movies - very boring and slow. But the acting in Like Crazy was much better. While Weekend showed us practically every conversation between the couple over 2 days, Crazy covers several years and leaves all the development out. The actors do an amazing job without words conveying their emotions and feelings about the state of the relationship. Yes, their problems were of their own making, but they were young, stupid and in love. While I have no desire to sit thru Weekend again, I could see myself spending a lazy Sunday afternoon rewatching Like Crazy.

Posted by: JD | Mar 7, 2012 5:25:10 PM

9. Anton Yelchin is simply not likable. Period. How can anyone see him as a ROMANTIC lead?

Posted by: Georges | Mar 8, 2012 7:19:31 AM

10. Make that 6 (7?). I too watched Weekend with my boyfriend and we were both underwhelmed. Looked nice, but I never saw a real spark between the leads. That, and I tire of how gay love on screen is either "bright, fast, and drug/party centered" or "long term but requiring outside affections". Reality for some, but certainly not most. A ton of famous straight on-screen romances dodge both these extremes and are still memorable.

Posted by: Stefan | Mar 8, 2012 8:32:18 AM