Hot Movie Moment: ‘Like Crazy’ vs. ‘Weekend’

It doesn't matter if you're gay or straight watching them because movie love is pansexual. Gay people have been able to project themselves on to big screen hetero romances since time began (and eventually straight people will be able to do the reverse). My best guess in the difference of profound feeling is that Weekend is super-specific, inviting us into the intimacy, both sexually and conversationally like an invisible third lover while Like Crazy opts for shorthand and montage (like an entire summer shown in still flashcuts of the couple in bed) to signify "Falling in Love" rather than inviting us to do it in real time.

Like-jennifer

Of course to watch it now you may feel that Anton Yelchin is only this romantically tortured because he has to keep letting his other girl Jennifer Lawrence go. Her superstardom is just around the corner with Hunger Games (opening March 23rd). What horrible timing to lose her now!

Nathaniel Rogers would live in the movie theater but for the poor internet reception. He blogs daily at the Film Experience. Follow him on Twitter @nathanielr.

Comments

1. Zlick says

Well, my bf and I were perhaps the only gays to find Weekend completely meh. But I love me some Anton Yelchin, so I think I’ll give this one a shot.

2. tycom says

Like Crazy is trash. They would have been together if they hadn’t decided to blow off immigration. They make one really stupid decision at the beginning of the movie and it’s nearly impossible to care about them because they created their own problem.

3. jim says

Ok, make that 4. BUT, I think I approached it with certain expectations, and it wasn’t the movie I was expecting (for example, the constant getting high aspect made me doubt the sincerity of what was going on between the guys. NO ONE I know gets high THAT often). I plan on giving it a more open-minded viewing on dvd. If nothing else, the guys are very nice to look at!

LIke Crazy, on the other hand…couldn’t even watch it to the end. The whole thing is so self-absorbed, the characters so annoyingly adolescent and, well, stupid, that they deserve the results of their self-created situation. The only good thing about the flick is Jennifer Lawrence, and I even had trouble believing that she could be so attracted to Yelchin. No open-minded second viewing for Like Crazy.

4. BABH says

“NO ONE I know gets high THAT often).”

Really? Almost everyone I know will smoke a couple joints on the weekend if they’re feeling festive (or stressed).

Anyway, to my mind the beauty of Weekend is that Tom Cullen’s character is completely transformed. He’s had relationships, maybe even been in love. But he’s never before imagined himself being happy. Over the course of Weekend he sheds his internalized homophobia, and becomes a fully mature human being.

That’s not something you see every day at the movies. And when it’s done with the conviction and emotion of Weekend, that’s art.

5. JD says

They are both similar movies – very boring and slow. But the acting in Like Crazy was much better. While Weekend showed us practically every conversation between the couple over 2 days, Crazy covers several years and leaves all the development out. The actors do an amazing job without words conveying their emotions and feelings about the state of the relationship. Yes, their problems were of their own making, but they were young, stupid and in love. While I have no desire to sit thru Weekend again, I could see myself spending a lazy Sunday afternoon rewatching Like Crazy.

6. Stefan says

Make that 6 (7?). I too watched Weekend with my boyfriend and we were both underwhelmed. Looked nice, but I never saw a real spark between the leads. That, and I tire of how gay love on screen is either “bright, fast, and drug/party centered” or “long term but requiring outside affections”. Reality for some, but certainly not most. A ton of famous straight on-screen romances dodge both these extremes and are still memorable.