Al Gore | Keith Olbermann | News

Keith Olbermann to Sue Current TV After Being Fired

Current TV has parted ways with Keith Olbermann.

Keith_olbermannWrote Network founders Al Gore and Joel Hyatt in a statement:

Current was also founded on the values of respect, openness, collegiality, and loyalty to our viewers.  Unfortunately these values are no longer reflected in our relationship with Keith Olbermann and we have ended it.

We are moving ahead by honoring Current's values.  Current has a fundamental obligation to deliver news programming with a progressive perspective that our viewers can count on being available daily -- especially now, during the presidential election campaign. Current exists because our audience desires the kind of perspective, insight and commentary that is not easily found elsewhere in this time of big media consolidation.

Olbermann replied on Twitter that he will sue the network:

I'd like to apologize to my viewers and my staff for the failure of Current TV. Editorially, Countdown had never been better. But for more than a year I have been imploring Al Gore and Joel Hyatt to resolve our issues internally, while I've been not publicizing my complaints, and keeping the show alive for the sake of its loyal viewers and even more loyal staff. Nevertheless, Mr. Gore and Mr. Hyatt, instead of abiding by their promises and obligations and investing in a quality news program, finally thought it was more economical to try to get out of my contract.

It goes almost without saying that the claims against me implied in Current's statement are untrue and will be proved so in the legal actions I will be filing against them presently. To understand Mr. Hyatt’s “values of respect, openness, collegiality and loyalty,” I encourage you to read of a previous occasion Mr. Hyatt found himself in court for having unjustly fired an employee. That employee’s name was Clarence B. Cain. http://nyti.ms/HueZsa

In due course, the truth of the ethics of Mr. Gore and Mr. Hyatt will come out. For now, it is important only to again acknowledge that joining them was a sincere and well-intentioned gesture on my part, but in retrospect a foolish one. That lack of judgment is mine and mine alone, and I apologize again for it.

Olbermann will be replaced by a program hosted by Eliot Spitzer.

Comments

1. The USA has become a country of lies and lawsuits.

Posted by: Oliver | Mar 30, 2012 6:23:11 PM

2. replaced by Eliot Spitzer?

oh my.

Posted by: suede | Mar 30, 2012 6:24:06 PM

3. "I'd like to apologize to my viewers and my staff for the failure of Current TV."

Lol. Such a diva. This is how most of his TV gigs have ended: ESPN, Fox Sports, MSNBC, and now Current. He's very talented though so it will be interesting to see where he lands. Maybe he should just go back to sports.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Mar 30, 2012 6:26:38 PM

4. It's also hard to justify a fledging network paying an anchor $10 million a year for a show that has about 175,000 viewers a night. But, the publicity they have gotten out of all this drama with Olbermann over the last year is priceless. So maybe it was worth it.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Mar 30, 2012 6:30:09 PM

5. I have enjoyed watching Keith when he was on MSNBC and Current but it appears the problems that follow Keith wherever he goes seem to have a common factor, Keith!

Perhaps his demands and ego are to much for most?

Posted by: Don | Mar 30, 2012 6:30:37 PM

6. Can I admit I've always found him attractive?

Posted by: joe c | Mar 30, 2012 6:30:52 PM

7. Ouch

I once loved and sided with keith BUT 3 times now is a pattern

1- fired from fox 2001 = who cares it was Faux

2- Msnbc fired = pissed at Msnbc

3- now current = 3 times is a pattern and obviously keith was not as innocent in the issues as he once claimed

Posted by: say what | Mar 30, 2012 6:39:21 PM

8. Keith is an attractive guy, I wish he went back to MSNBC or CNN, I would love to see him on CNN

Posted by: Larry | Mar 30, 2012 6:48:05 PM

9. Keith Olbermann is just too much of a divisive figure for the American palate, which is why no U.S. media outlet will touch him. That's why he's so effin' AWESOME! This man has stood toe to toe with the most evil of political hypocrites and stood his/our ground. This man deserves our praise, not our derision, folks.

Posted by: michael | Mar 30, 2012 6:49:51 PM

10. I've always been on Team Olbermann, but he has become the Rosie O'Donnell of TV news.

Posted by: TonyT | Mar 30, 2012 6:55:16 PM

11. He sounds super cereal.

Posted by: bierce | Mar 30, 2012 6:59:58 PM

12. I really have never enjoyed Keith, even sometimes he's very supportive to the LGBT community. Something about him screams "power abuser" to me. You know, like the behaviors of high-profile politicians who simply being A-holes regardless what parties they belong to.

Posted by: Jeremy | Mar 30, 2012 7:04:50 PM

13. Damnit, Keith. Hope you find a new network soon. It's election year, things are juicy.

Posted by: Trey | Mar 30, 2012 7:08:22 PM

14. Olberman would get fired within a year from Public Access TV. He's professionally unstable and more grandiose than ever. I only he can find a mirror big enough to console him.

Posted by: bravo | Mar 30, 2012 7:11:58 PM

15. I wonder what Cenk and TYT think of this

Posted by: ravewulf | Mar 30, 2012 7:20:06 PM

16. Why is this relevant to a gay news blog? (Answer:its not)

Posted by: Chris | Mar 30, 2012 7:22:56 PM

17. I have to agree with Jeremy. I used to watch Olbermann on MSNBC and tuned in again when he went to Current. But around the time of the Occupy Wall Street protests, he seemed to become increasingly unhinged and I stopped watching. I doubt I was the only one.

Posted by: Hank | Mar 30, 2012 7:24:58 PM

18. Fired again? He couldn't even keep a job at the worst network ever? Terrible luck that he keeps getting hired by great people who turn out to be horrible right around the time he leaves.

Poor little bathtub boy. He'll survive.

Posted by: Alan | Mar 30, 2012 7:28:26 PM

19. Bierce wins the internets! \o/

Posted by: FFS | Mar 30, 2012 7:28:44 PM

20. Get out of your own way, Keith. Laura Ling has complained less about her experiences with Current.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 30, 2012 7:36:15 PM

21. Seems to be a common thread with the comments here. We all liked watching Keith and gave him the benefit of the doubt a couple of times. He was off the air more than on at Current and I finally gave up on the guy. Adios Mr. Prima Donna

Posted by: dearcomrade | Mar 30, 2012 8:26:51 PM

22. I might be more on his side if every time I turned on his show (which I dvr every day) I didn't find Sam Seder, or David Schuster or Elliot Spitzer instead of KO. When was the last time he actually appeared on his own show? It seems like months. I thought he was maybe off tracking down talent here I find he's locked himself in his dressing room and is holding his breath because he hates All Gore? Thanks but now that we have Chris Hayes and Melissa Harris-Perry and Rachel I say Keith who?

Posted by: Jersey | Mar 30, 2012 8:29:36 PM

23. Well he was the only reason to watch blurry Current TV. Maybe he can get a gig like Bill Maher's where he isn't censored and he can say what's on his mind.

Posted by: Craig | Mar 30, 2012 8:50:40 PM

24. Meh. Olbermann just seems like a huge attention whore with an even bigger ego.

Posted by: Liam | Mar 30, 2012 8:53:56 PM

25. He has found conflict everywhere he goes. He was best on ESPN when he co-hosted SportsCenter.

Posted by: Aaron | Mar 30, 2012 9:13:23 PM