Kirk Cameron | News

Kirk Cameron Says He's Being 'Slandered', and his Gay Friends are Offering Him Support

Kirk Cameron has responded to the media firestorm that has occurred since his remarks to Piers Morgan over the weekend that homosexuality is "unnatural...detrimental" and "ultimately destructive to so many of the foundations of civilization.”

CameronSays Cameron in a statement to ABC News:

"I spoke as honestly as I could, but some people believe my responses were not loving toward those in the gay community. That is not true. I can assuredly say that it’s my life’s mission to love all people. I should be able to express moral views on social issues, especially those that have been the underpinning of Western civilization for 2,000 years — without being slandered, accused of hate speech, and told from those who preach ‘tolerance’ that I need to either bend my beliefs to their moral standards or be silent when I’m in the public square. I believe we need to learn how to debate these things with greater love and respect,” and added, “I’ve been encouraged by the support of many friends (including gay friends, incidentally).”

Comments

1. Gay friends? Prove it. Names pls.

Posted by: Azgaard | Mar 6, 2012 1:12:21 PM

2. How the hell does he have gay friends? The same ones that the Santorums have? Can he ask his gay friends to speak out on his behalf? No? They won't because THEY DON'T EXIST.

Posted by: invisible_man | Mar 6, 2012 1:13:56 PM

3. They're the same "gay friends" Palin referenced during her failed campaign. As in ZERO.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Mar 6, 2012 1:14:44 PM

4. Calling him out on BS is "slander" but telling the world that marriage equality undermines the foundation of civilization is not? What a jerk.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Mar 6, 2012 1:17:23 PM

5. I think that far too much attention is being given to a former celebrity who did a bit of TV that I never watched and has since gone Suzanne Somers and Victoria Jackson Christian insane.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 6, 2012 1:17:23 PM

6. This from the guy who's best friend on the show was called Boner?? I think it would be best if he crawled under whatever rock he has been under since the 80's and just stayed there from now on.

Posted by: kjpnyc | Mar 6, 2012 1:17:46 PM

7. I'm sure he does have gay friends, Marcus Bachmann, Ralph Reed, Tony Perkins....

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 6, 2012 1:18:12 PM

8. If Kirk Cameron has gay friends, we need their membership pulled IMMEDIATELY.

Posted by: Chad | Mar 6, 2012 1:18:20 PM

9. By "gay friends", he must mean Elton.

Posted by: MIke | Mar 6, 2012 1:18:26 PM

10. It's time to use their lingo.....

"We ARE having a debate Kirk, and we believe your position and statments on these social issues are immoral and harmful. We in the gay community don't understand why you are unwilling to stop slandering us."

Posted by: Geoff MG | Mar 6, 2012 1:18:38 PM

11. You 3 posted what I came to post, so we're 4 for 4. I totally agree with Dan Savage, that this should absolutely be the follow up question:

"Which gay friends? Can you please give me their names? I'd like to interview them, even as protected sources. "

He may have gay show business acquaintances, but no. He has no gay friends.

Posted by: Strepsi | Mar 6, 2012 1:18:49 PM

12. I'm sorry, but that dog don't hunt. Following his logic, those who support white supremacy should be able to expose their views without it being labeled hate speech. Enough of giving these bigots a free pass in the name of "tolerance". You don't tolerate people who are trying to make others unequal.

Posted by: MikeH | Mar 6, 2012 1:19:02 PM

13. This from the guy who claims the banana disproves the theory of evolution. Seriously, who gives a rat's ass what this moron thinks?

Posted by: Gaylib | Mar 6, 2012 1:19:09 PM

14. @ AZGAARD: You beat me to it.

We want some proof, Cameron. None of that "some of my best friends are..." BS.

And you're not allowed to include your tricks from Griffith Park, either.

Posted by: Rich F. | Mar 6, 2012 1:19:09 PM

15. Grindr profile names of his "gay friends" or GTFO.

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Mar 6, 2012 1:20:10 PM

16. If your friends are gays in your church who are celibate because of reparative therapy, they don't count, the condition and your friendship is only temporary. And don't count GOProud either.

Posted by: Gus | Mar 6, 2012 1:20:59 PM

17. You can't "slander" someone by QUOTING them directly!

And, of course, he drags out the IMAGINARY, never named and never visible "gay friend". It reminds me of the imaginary "some of my best friends" who were black that my parents would speak of when a stranger would confront them for their racism. My parents NEVER had a black "friend". The only black people they ever had anything to do with worked for them and I can assure you that they NEVER did the things with them that they did with their friends.

Of course it is possible that he has the Alan Chambers sort of friends that he can always rely upon to prove he's not homophobic.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Mar 6, 2012 1:22:37 PM

18. That was a lot of words but not a bit of intelligence.

Posted by: redball | Mar 6, 2012 1:22:38 PM

19. Here we go with these "gay friends" conservatives seem to have. Do ex-gays count as "gay friends"? And how loving can it be to say gays are unnatural and destructive.

Posted by: Sarina | Mar 6, 2012 1:23:42 PM

20. Oh Kirk - You're just misunderstood.

We support your right to screw up and judge your family any way you want. What we don't support is your need to publically spew your hatred beyond that circle. You are no better than anyone else who spews hatred under the pretense of morality.

And as the Dowager Countess famously said, "Put that in your pipe and smoke it!"

Posted by: Kevin | Mar 6, 2012 1:23:47 PM

21. Nothing like the "love" of a friend telling you you're bringing about the destruction of civilization by being born. This is the problem when people deal with issues that don't impact their lives at all. It's purely cerebral for these people. Just ideas or hypotheticals with no personal stake that actually changes their lives or impacts them in ANY meaningful way. Funny, he gets all hurt when he's personally attacked.

We LOVE you Kirk, we just think you're a bigot and holding society back.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Mar 6, 2012 1:25:01 PM

22. i'd love to from his "gay friends"

clearly, they're the world's lousiest homosexuals as none of them have convinced Kirk that they're people deserving of worth and respect in this country.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 6, 2012 1:27:42 PM

23. Kirk pulling the ever-ready poor-me waahmbulance victim card. As Neil Patrick Harris tweeted yesterday, "That Kirk Cameron is HILARIOUS!"

Posted by: FML | Mar 6, 2012 1:29:15 PM

24. Please, he was brought on the show because he would say controversial things. Other than that, what is there to discuss with him? Growing Pains? The Left Behind movies? That would hardly make the plane fair worthwhile for the producers.

Posted by: djcchicago | Mar 6, 2012 1:32:11 PM

25. I just love these a-holes. First of all, I doubt that he has any gay friends. Secondly, calling something unnatural, detrimental and ultimately destructive is not debating with love and respect. And, lastly, he is free to say whatever he pleases. Unfortunately for those of his ilk, so are we. Come down off of your cross, Mr. Cameron, and accept that not everyone is going to take your nonsense lying down. You are not the victim here.

Posted by: Walt | Mar 6, 2012 1:35:40 PM