Madonna | News | Russia | St. Petersburg

Madonna Says She Will Go to St. Petersburg, Russia and Condemn Anti-Gay 'Atrocity'

Last week, following the passage by St. Petersburg, Russia of a law banning gay "propaganda" which bars (and imposes fines for) gay groups, gay books and periodicals, LGBT Pride events, and other "promotion" of homosexuality, there were calls from Russian journalists for boycotts of the city.

Tears_madonnaThe calls were directed at Mercedes-Benz or PepsiCo, the two foreign companies that have signed on as partners of this year’s economic forum, and Madonna, who is going there on a tour this year.

Madonna has responded, saying she plans to go and speak out against the law, Bloomberg reports:

Madonna’s first tour in Russia drew the ire of orthodox Christian activists. Now she vows to defy a new law against promoting homosexuality when she performs in President-elect Vladimir Putin’s hometown in August.

“I will come to St. Petersburg to speak up for the gay community and to give strength and inspiration to anyone who is or feels oppressed,” the pop star said by e-mail late yesterday. “I’m a freedom fighter.”

“I don’t run away from adversity,” Madonna, who has used her fame to support gay rights, said in the e-mail. “I will speak during my show about this ridiculous atrocity.”

Image from the new "Girl Gone Wild" video.

Comments

1. I love her.

Posted by: Miguel | Mar 21, 2012 12:18:35 PM

2. Interesting how she so vocally boycotted Colorado when Amendment two was passed. Perhaps, she realizes now she can make money and be vocal about being a "freedom fighter." Sorry Madge, get over yourself.

Posted by: bewilderbeast | Mar 21, 2012 12:27:25 PM

3. WERK.

Posted by: Feral | Mar 21, 2012 12:36:25 PM

4. Yes, she is obviously a radical "freedom fighter" and revolutionary iconoclast who is more concerned about making money than anything else. What will she do, go to Russia and eloquently say "there's discrimination and this is not cool" (Madonna, the average semi-literate ten-year-old felt proud of you that day!), as she did in Romania when she "advocated" in favour of Roma rights?

This talentless hag has built a career on nothing but scandals and ridiculous pretensions. Now, when she is on the verge of irrelevance, she has decided to comfortably position herself in the "human rights activist" corner with the equally detestable Bono and Angelina Jolie.

Let's just wait for the legions of deranged maenads, I mean, her psychotic fans, to ask for her beatification in exchange of doing nothing for anyone but herself.

If people of this ilk are our advocates, I'd rather have us walking alone.

Posted by: Akerus | Mar 21, 2012 12:43:26 PM

5. WERK!!!

And you losers complaining are the ones who need to get over yourselves. Hating Madonna, and coming on to a gay website to anonymously tell other anonymous-commenters that you can't stand Madonna, will not make your own life better, nor will it help attain LGBT Equality.

You sound like little wimpy boys who are still adamantly running around telling everyone how "not like those other gays!" you are and wondering why nobody wants to date you.

Madonna's music was a real source of inspiration and joy to me as a kid, a teen and a young adult. I can only imagine what her presence in Russia will do for her young(er) fans - or lifelong fans who still feel a connection to her.

Don't like her? Great. Good for you. Don't attend her concert.
    But I like what she's doing here - she can go and be the outspoken source of celebratory defiance that she's been to many people, in many different ways. inspire the LGBT people of Russia, and their allies.

anyone who rags on her for this is just showing what little balls they have.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 21, 2012 12:47:00 PM

6. I assure you, Akerus, you already are walking alone.

Posted by: endo | Mar 21, 2012 12:50:19 PM

7. AKERUS

Do tell us all your personal measure of contribution to the legitimate rights of oppressed people around the world. We already know that it is more significant than the words and work of Bono, Jolie and Madonna. Just step up to the bar if you will and tell us about it. Just be certain that you never made a dime on the way or during the course of your contribution.

Posted by: uffda | Mar 21, 2012 12:52:37 PM

8. I would like to apologize to everyone for daring to critizice celebrities who shamelessly utilize the pain of others to publicize themselves and achieve a relevance they should not, nor deserve to have.

The fact that I am not being photographed with orphans or that my charities in Third World countries haven't been proved to be frauds, means that I am an evil monster who doesn't care about anyone, has never done anything for others and, on top of it all, I probably eat children. Such clarity and objectivity have dazzled me into accepting my many shortcomings!

In addition, I have to agree: Every gay man who doesn't idolize Madonna or Kylie Minogue is beset by internalized homophobia, is probably a repressed and self-hating closet case and a mindless Republican who panders to evil religious fanatics. Because thinking that they have crap voices and even crappier music is irrefutable proof of non-acceptance of one's own sexuality.

In addition, I understand that not liking Madonna makes me wicked and undeserving of human companionship, so I will walk alone for the rest of my life, deprived of Madonna-fied solidarity! Oh, the TRAGEDY!

Honestly, I want to thank you all! I've heartily laughed with the depth and rationality of all your arguments... I hope Madonna loves you for that altar you've built to her in your bedrooms.

Posted by: Akerus | Mar 21, 2012 1:13:26 PM

9. Akerus, I've loved Madonna since I was a child. Her Ray of Light album was released when I was 16 years old. It inspired me to Come Out.

I'm not sure why you're so proud of your dislike of Madonna. It's not like hating her has helped you at all.

I love her, and I've been Out since my teens. You hate her, and you're still semi-Closeted and posting anonymous comments online venting your fury.

So, how's that working for ya so far?

:D

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 21, 2012 1:17:44 PM

10. you could always prove us all wrong, Akerus, and post the link to your own page or youtube video where you show us all what a strong, outspoken and ethical LGBT Advocate you are in spite of your dislike of Madonna.

how about it? you can make a quirky video where you show how much pro-Equality work you're doing, on top of your anti-Madonna "work" which seems to consist of typing complaints about her anonymously online, no doubt whilst furiously masturbating with the other hand.

So, up for it? It would be lovely to see another strong, manly, self-secure and empowered gay man who's totally Out and doing a lot of pro-Equality work for our worldwide communities.

so, how about it?

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 21, 2012 1:21:22 PM

11. I just did a search of Madonna tickets in my city, two tickets will set you back 700+face value and they not are even next to the stage, add parking, drinks and maybe a dinner 900+, for one night. I am not anti-Madonna or a self-hating gay, I personally think that sometimes you can fall out of love with someone. NPR did a story about it last year, falling out of love with your music. I have seen bands as diverse as U2 (40+times) Tool (17x) and Social Distortion (22x) and now I could care less about seeing them perform down the street. Sometimes bands/artists run their course. There are so many new artists that are amazing that you don't have to spend and arm and a leg on seeing. Last month I saw an amazing band Alabama Shakes for 5 dollars, not heard of them yet? You will. In the past three months the average ticket price of each show I went to was 15 bucks. The artists, not extremely well known, but just getting started. Katy B., Zola Jesus, Lost In The Trees and Alabama Shakes. I think everyone should respect each others tastes and realize that yeah, I think Gaga sucks, but far from me being anti-gay or a homophobe. I think Beth Ditto is amazing, not to mention Bon Iver did a gay related song years ago, dare I say I melt with Antony Hagerty and Hercules and Love Affair rock! I wonder what ticket prices will be in Russia, if you read the current trend in the US housing market all the mega mansions and sky high priced condos are all being sold to 20 something Russians. Just saying, I don't think the average gay Madonna fan in Russia will get to enjoy her show.

Posted by: bewilderbeast | Mar 21, 2012 1:41:59 PM

12. look, i don't particularly like madonna either, so what

and while i don't feel as strongly about it as akerus does i do think it's pretty ridiculous to think that the only reason she's going over there is to speak out for the oppressed

i'm sure she'll make some speeches and wag her bony little finger at "the man" and it might even do some good so, good for you, girl

i'm also pretty sure she's gonna cash that big fat check with a quickness
    and there's nothing wrong with getting paid so, good for you, girl

now, if you wanna say i'm a horrible person for thinking that, knock yourself out

Posted by: miheal d | Mar 21, 2012 1:44:08 PM

13. that's nice of her

Posted by: luke | Mar 21, 2012 1:53:48 PM

14. They will arrest her. This isn't Western Europe, so...for those that are saying she's taking the easy, money-making approach, yes, she'll be making money.

But she'll go to jail. Putin don't play.

Posted by: Rin | Mar 21, 2012 1:54:31 PM

15. Nothing like a Madonna posting to bring out the haters.

I love Madonna, always have, always will.

But what some posters seem to forget is that the music business is just that, a business. Everyone in it is there to make money. And Madonna is one of the smartest people in that business, someone who has managed to stay relevant for nearly 30 years. Some of you will question her relevance but tell me this... what other pop star from the early 80s has as many hits as her, currently has the number one dance single, just had her latest album leaked and is the number one download, was the half time entertainment at the Super Bowl, and can sell out concert tours at outrageous prices? Let's see... George Michael? Nope, he just gets arrested for drugs and lewd behaviour. Cyndi Lauper? Nope, nice lady but hasn't had a hit in years.

In fact no one in pop music has lasted as long as Madonna and that may make you hate her but I don't think she really cares.

Posted by: jamesintoronto | Mar 21, 2012 1:54:37 PM

16. I don't feel as strongly about this as others but I must say I personally don't buy Madonna's activism. It seems contrived and self centered. I think we have done more for her than she has done for us.

Why don't we all agree that Russia will be a test of her commitment to either being a "Freedom Fighter" or a money seeking opportunist. Will she make it a one liner or really get into it, thus breaking the law there. Technically speaking she could now be arrested for this and I am not saying she should go that far (though it will really be a slam dunk if she did). I just can't shake that I feel like she is doing this for HER not US but we shall see.

Posted by: Opinionated | Mar 21, 2012 1:55:29 PM

17. Give me a break. She'll make mention of sexuality once she's raked in a million bucks and supported the local economy. A better display of solidarity would be to cancel the show. Or should I say $how?

Posted by: Paul | Mar 21, 2012 1:57:51 PM

18. 1. It remains to be seen what she will do, but she is basically going to break the law in St. Petersburg and I'm sure for many of the gays that will be in the audience, this will be a big galvanizing thing for many of them. Hell, if they all start making out at the concert, that will be revolutionary.

2. All big arena shows are expensive. That's the way the cookie crumbles. In this day and age, you can see this stuff on YouTube and in the case of Madonna, it will be released on DVD and you can see it then.

Posted by: Alejandro | Mar 21, 2012 2:06:13 PM

19. Talk is cheap.

If Madonna Louise Ciccone breaks the local law as I suspect she will, I hope she's arrested and thrown in jail. Then, perhaps, we may get to see what kind of advocate she really is.

Posted by: Joe Crider | Mar 21, 2012 2:07:07 PM

20. as opposed to the "fierce advocates" who logged on to this thread to make complain-y comments about Madonna from a place of complete anonymity.

"talk is cheap"?

i agree - let's see who you boys actually are and the specific pro-Equality work you're all apparently doing in your own lives.

truly.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 21, 2012 2:18:25 PM

21. Do you really think she's performing in Russia because of the big fat check she'll get? Seriously, she has a $120 million dollar deal with Live Nation alone. Not to mention the clothing line, oodles of other endorsements and whatever investments she's made. One concert in Russia is pocket change to her.

She can deal with the issue however she wants.

Posted by: Tonic | Mar 21, 2012 2:23:41 PM

22. LittleKiwi--stop bullying people who disagree with you. Everyone has a right to have an opinion and the fact that theirs doesn't happen to be in line up with yours doesn't give you the right to start personally attacking them in a public forum or demanding that they do this or that validate to their point of view. You're embarassing yourself. Stop being such a c-nt and sit the f-k down. This is an online blog not your own talk show. Get your own blog if you want to hold court. Jesus...

Posted by: Mark | Mar 21, 2012 3:16:50 PM

23. If Madonna really goes to Russia and makes pro-gay remarks to the audience in her concerts, that will be a real case of civil disobedience and a challenge to the authorities. She might or might not get in trouble for this, depending on whether the government thinks it has less to lose by arresting her, or expelling her, or ignoring her. But it would be a courageous thing for her to do. So let's wait and see what she does before we criticize her.

Posted by: RobG | Mar 21, 2012 3:16:55 PM

24. Thank god we cleared that up, Akerus. Now go improve yourself.

Posted by: Winston | Mar 21, 2012 3:17:55 PM

25. "Mark" if the anonymous cowards want to come on here and complain about a woman I'll be on here pointing out how pathetically transparent their complaints are.

people are free to share their stupid opinions, i'm not stopping them.

I'm not embarrassed. You don't see me treating the internet like my own personal burqa of anonymity.

what's their "opinion"? That Madonna isn't a "fierce-enough" advocate for LGBT people? *yawn*

what the heck are you complainers doing? ragging on madonna on a gay webiste, anonymously. wow. what men you are.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 21, 2012 3:21:41 PM