Gay Marriage | New Hampshire | News

Bill to Repeal Marriage Equality Fails in New Hampshire House

NhmarriageGreat news. A vote to repeal marriage equality has failed in the New Hampshire House by a vote of 211-116. HB 437 would have repealed the state's marriage equality law and replaced it with civil unions.

WMUR reports:

The Republican-controlled House voted 202-133 against the repeal. Same-sex couples have been able to marry in New Hampshire for two years.

The vote came after about two hours of debate on the bill and associated amendments, including ones which would have implemented civil unions and called for a nonbinding referendum on the issue.

Even if the bill had passed, Gov. John Lynch had pledged to veto it.

More from Phil Reese at the Washington Blade:

Several Republicans crossed the aisle to defeat the measure, including Reps. Mike Ball and Jennifer Coffey, who spoke out against the bill last week along with other advocates and Democratic lawmakers at a news conference organized by the marriage equality group Standing Up For New Hampshire Families. During a long and contentious debate on the bill in which the same amendment was brought back for reconsideration twice, strong statements were made on all sides of the issue.

“God is my judge, this legislative body is not my judge,” Rep. Cameron DeJong proclaimed. “Allow me to have this discussion between my God and me about my decisions.”

Rep. Ball compared the bill to segregation in the South, “Let’s put this dog down, like it deserves to be.”

In a surreal moment during the debate, an amendment to the bill was introduced to also bar marriage between left-handed people. That amendment failed to be considered.

NOTE: The original vote total of 202-133 (still noted on WMUR's site at the time of this posting) is incorrect, and the correct vote count is indeed 211-116.

Comments

1. GOOD

Posted by: DanSwon | Mar 21, 2012 5:24:00 PM

2. Way to go NH!

Posted by: Paul | Mar 21, 2012 5:26:11 PM

3. Except for the fact that I don't want to give him any more air time, I'd like to see NOM's Brian Brown interviewed after-the-fact. Smug bastard.

Posted by: Fritz | Mar 21, 2012 5:26:48 PM

4. actually, the bill, as voted on, would *not* have replaced marriage with civil union.

an amendment involving civil union failed earlier.

Posted by: palerobber | Mar 21, 2012 5:27:35 PM

5. Bwahahaha that is awesome! Suck it NOM!

Posted by: Tyler | Mar 21, 2012 5:29:42 PM

6. youhadbetterWERK!!!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 21, 2012 5:31:23 PM

7. You know Brian Brown is majorly pissed about this. Would any amount of money to see his face after the vote.

Posted by: Dale | Mar 21, 2012 5:37:27 PM

8. Maybe he will cry again

Posted by: Steve | Mar 21, 2012 5:41:01 PM

9. I will never get sick of seeing Brian Brownshirt with all that egg on his face. There's so much egg on it, I'm getting hungry thinking about it lol

Posted by: Terry | Mar 21, 2012 5:41:26 PM

10. woo hoo!!

say brian, what do your ugly words taste like now that you have to eat them?

Posted by: alguien | Mar 21, 2012 5:43:02 PM

11. Way to go NH. I wish I could laugh in all those who fought against Faces right now. How dare they. I didnt vote on who you should love, Did I?
    Maybe I should have, Only the stupid people are breeding.

Posted by: Keke | Mar 21, 2012 5:45:32 PM

12. What happened in New Hampshire is a good reason why people should stop trashing all Republicans. I am NOT a Republican, but if large numbers of Republican House members had not voted against the repeal, then the bill to repeal would have passed the House. There are many (but not yet enough) pro-gay rights / pro-marriage equality Republicans, and let's praise them and support them. Let's not trash them by saying that because they are Republicans and belong to a party that is generally anti-gay AS A PARTY, that must mean these individuals themselves are anti-gay. The New Hampshire Republicans showed us otherwise. Congrats to those courageous Republicans and Democrats in NH who voted against repealing same-sex marriage.

Posted by: MiddleoftheRoader | Mar 21, 2012 5:49:27 PM

13. Suck on that Brian! Seems all YOUR outside money couldn't rock the freedom state.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Mar 21, 2012 5:49:59 PM

14. I think NOM and its ilk misjudged the NH Republicans. Way to go NH!

Posted by: KP | Mar 21, 2012 5:50:04 PM

15. Great news -- and a good example of why Obama needs to finish "evolving" already. Our rights should not always hang on a thread like this, possibly to be stripped from us on the whims of a handful of people.

Posted by: kit | Mar 21, 2012 5:57:07 PM

16. ELECT DEMOCRATS THIS FALL -- THERE ARE GOING TO BE MORE HARD FIGHTS
    Some people point out that reasonable Republicans exist. Yes, there are still some, but Democrats are better for Gay causes at least 90% of the time

Posted by: Bob | Mar 21, 2012 6:02:03 PM

17. "...God is my judge, this legislative body is not my judge,” Rep. Cameron DeJong proclaimed. “Allow me to have this discussion between my God and me about my decisions.”

Mr. deJong;

1) God is NOT my judge.

2) Since you cannot differentiate between OUR constitutional rights and YOUR casual conversation with your invisible sky fairy...it would be best for This Great Nation that YOU step down immediately.

3) Perhaps the Priesthood under that Nazi Rat Bastard Pope is better suited for your career path.

You are No Friend of America! Leave Democracy for those who 'get it'.

Werk!

Posted by: Mic | Mar 21, 2012 6:06:34 PM

18. Both vote totals are correct. The first was whether the House "ought to pass" the legislation. That failed 202-133. The House then voted to remove the bill from consideration by deeming it "inexpedient to legislate." That second vote was 211-116.

Posted by: Hampshire Ite | Mar 21, 2012 6:06:57 PM

19. Quite historic, The first widespread Republican defection and movement toward sanity. Could a new trend emerge for conservatives?

Posted by: ROBERT BAKER | Mar 21, 2012 6:08:21 PM

20. There's nothing quite like good news.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 21, 2012 6:09:22 PM

21. Rep. Cameron DeJong was arguing against - and voted against - repeal. He was saying that gay marriage is a matter of our own belief and individual conscience and that the state shouldn't ban it.

Posted by: Hampshire Ite | Mar 21, 2012 6:09:32 PM

22. On the vote total, I've updated it in the WMUR story now. The vote on the main bill itself was at first 202-133, but then there was an additional vote on whether to table the bill, with the larger margin coming on that final, fatal vote.

And it looks like Hampshire Ite already gave a more detailed explanation! The WMUR story is also getting updated with reaction, though nothing from repeal supporters yet...

Posted by: Kirk | Mar 21, 2012 6:12:59 PM

23. Hoorah and congrats, it just hurts my heart what this must have put LGBT married couples through in that state.

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Mar 21, 2012 6:23:04 PM

24. Exhausted yet, Brian Brown?

Posted by: TJ | Mar 21, 2012 6:25:55 PM

25. Thank you new Hampshire!! And thank you republicans for your support and vote today

Posted by: GeorgeM | Mar 21, 2012 6:34:52 PM