New York | News | Sue Simmons

BigGayDeal.com

NY News Anchor Sue Simmons Fired

Simmons

WNBC New York is firing local anchor Sue Simmons after 30 years as lead anchor. "Last week, the station gave her the bad news that her contract would not be renewed — and come June, she’s history."

Of course, she'll live on in YouTube, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Never liked her.

Posted by: David in NYC | Mar 7, 2012 11:26:15 AM

2. IIRC, wasn't Sue Simmons rumored to have had an affair with a certain recently deceased diva?

Posted by: Chitown kev | Mar 7, 2012 11:29:17 AM

3. It's been an open secret that Sue is a lesbian.

Still - she and Chuck were a New York institution. A real shame that she's out because she's as sharp as they come.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 7, 2012 11:32:21 AM

4. This has become such an "ageist" society. Except in politics, one is basically considered "obsolete" by the age of 50--unless one has made it to the very top of an organization--and the result has been that millions of high-performing professionals have lost their jobs at the height of their careers and have nowhere to go once they do.

I don't know if that had anything to do with this case, but I would be surprised if it didn't.

What a perverse, twisted society this has become.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 7, 2012 11:55:02 AM

5. Not my Sue... I love her...(mistakes and all)...I'd rather hear the news from her than anyone.

Posted by: Rational | Mar 7, 2012 11:57:40 AM

6. Never heard of her. What's your point?

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 7, 2012 12:26:04 PM

7. The point is that the world is bigger than your perception of it and news reported on this site doesn't have to pertain to you specifically or generally for that matter.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Mar 7, 2012 12:30:11 PM

8. Lawd at age 68 I want to relax and be retired and not go to work I don't care if I'm Queen of England.

Posted by: MarkUs | Mar 7, 2012 12:51:56 PM

9. Screw WNBC. Sue Simmons was the best thing about that newscast. She's real, she's funny, she's not a plastic talking head.

I hope she writes a scathing tell-all!

Posted by: Taylor | Mar 7, 2012 12:58:25 PM

10. Salty language. Lighten up people; there's a reason they're called seasoned reporters.

Posted by: GeorgeM | Mar 7, 2012 1:02:30 PM

11. I just can't believe some of the nonsense that comes out of the mouths of some of the pathetic, middle-aged queens around here. You can be so cruel and catty with people who are truly deserving of sympathy, yet the tears flow for some overpaid, mean-spirited, unprofessional, self-centered old cow. The New York City local news programs are thought of as jokes by the critics all over the country and this fat moose was one of the biggest clowns of all. Grow up, you bitches, and save your crocodile tears for people who really care about gay rights and not self-promoting careerists!

Posted by: TANK | Mar 7, 2012 1:19:37 PM

12. Sue is awesome, and I think NBC are making a HUGE mistake! 11pm news will be nowhere near as good as before... I like Chuck, but Sue makes that broadcast... hope NBC reconsiders their bad decision!

Posted by: CKNJ | Mar 7, 2012 1:20:31 PM

13. Tank, you sound like *such* fun! Go crawl back under a rock.

Posted by: See You Next Tuesday | Mar 7, 2012 1:49:37 PM

14. I can't think of another place I visit on the web where when an insult is thrown out against another commenter the "middle aged" or "old" queen card is played every time. And I mean every time. I don't know how young you are but you wouldn't have your rights without old queens.

Posted by: MarkUs | Mar 7, 2012 1:58:45 PM

15. After heaving sighs and hurling furniture, I merely look to the afternoon sky and howl "Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue!"
    It's like a death in the family - Screw Cabletown!

Posted by: Wavin' Dave | Mar 7, 2012 2:07:12 PM

16. Comcast the parent company of WNBC does not believe in rewarding talented people if everyone is expendable my guess is there going to replace them all eventually with lightwieghts that come cheap. I liked her very much and wish her well

Posted by: George | Mar 7, 2012 2:18:24 PM

17. Tank, I hope Sue Simmons comes to your home, screams 'What the f-ck is that?' and snaps your neck!

Posted by: Gregoire | Mar 7, 2012 2:19:48 PM

18. Don't fret about this lady. No doubt she won't end up homeless or something.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 7, 2012 2:32:52 PM

19. They don't like wrinkles on women. Who here remembers Roger Grimsby?

Posted by: anon | Mar 7, 2012 3:02:33 PM

20. She was crazy! no class. ghetto trash

Posted by: ciela | Mar 7, 2012 3:10:26 PM

21. Never cared for her. Part of being a news anchors is atleast FAKING being personable. She couldn't even do that. She sounded angry reading every news story, even the uplifting ones. Anger managment Sue....run to it.

Posted by: Jake C. | Mar 7, 2012 3:11:28 PM

22. If you can't act professional in a professional setting....you should absolutely be let go. She should have been let go during this incident. Of course, count on a few people on HERE who are as classless as her and want to promote thuggery to want people like this to be their mascot. Won't happen. Civility and grace will always trump trash. Always.

Posted by: IonMovies | Mar 7, 2012 3:15:07 PM

23. Am I supposed to like her because she's crude? am I supposed to have sympathy and think she's so "bad ass" for being so vulgar and rude? The person who has my sympathy is the gentlemen who has dignity working along side her, not this lady who obviously has a chip on her shoulder. Some people like that, I think those people have the same anger issues this Sue character seems to have. This clip speaks volumes on her lack of respect.

Posted by: Steve-ATL | Mar 7, 2012 3:17:07 PM

24. Looks like your Karma caught up with you Sue. Now you can curse yourself out, alone at home.

Unprofessional behavior should never be celebrated, no matter how amusing some immature people think it is.

Posted by: Michelle | Mar 7, 2012 3:18:25 PM

25. Ahhh...such fond memories of Sue Simmons and Live at Five when I was in college. Btw...not renewing her contract isnt exactly being "fired". She's prob too expensive for the station after all these years and not fitting the demo's.

Posted by: Tagg | Mar 7, 2012 3:21:54 PM