Dharun Ravi | New Jersey | News | Tyler Clementi

Jury Deliberations Begin in the Case of Tyler Clementi's Roommate, Dharun Ravi: VIDEO

Ravi

The jury now has the fate of Tyler Clementi's roommate Dharun Ravi, in its hands after 12 days of testimony from nearly 30 witnesses. Defense attorneys focused on the fact that Ravi was not acting out of hatred of Clementi or gay people and said that Ravi only did what he did because he was curious, unfamiliar with gay people, and was concerned about the iPad in his room being stolen.

ClementiThe Star-Ledger reports on the defense's closing statement:

Dharun Ravi's lawyer, Steve Altman, called that point one of the most important points for the jury to consider in the second half of his closing statement, which began at 1 p.m. and lasted about an hour, until Altman put on a tape of Ravi's statement to police last September. Altman instructed the jury to re-watch the taped statement.

"You look at him, you look at him," Altman told the jury, asking them to consider if in the statement Ravi appears "hateful, ugly, mean-spirited, with the intent to hurt, humiliate, intimidate."

The AP reports:

The challenge for jurors could be deciding whether the laws apply to what Ravi is alleged to have done.

He faces 15 charges. Four are invasion of privacy and attempted invasion of privacy charges, where the required proof is that he saw or disseminated images — or attempted to — of private parts or sex acts, or a situation where someone might reasonably expect to see them.

Four charges allege bias intimidation. Ravi can be convicted of intimidation if he's also found guilty of an underlying invasion-of-privacy charge. Two of those charges are second-degree crimes punishable by up to 10 years in prison — the most significant penalties he faces if convicted.

Seven charges accuse him of trying to cover his tracks. Among the allegations: that he deleted and changed Twitter postings and text messages and told another witness what to say.

CBS News reports:

On Wednesday morning, Judge Glenn Berman instructed the jury on the law and the relevant statutes in the case.

In his closing statement, defense attorney Steven Altman said his client had acted like a teenager, not a criminal. "He hasn't lived long enough to have any experience with homosexuality or gays. He doesn't know anything about it. He just graduated high school," Altman said.

Watch an ABC News report filed after the defense rested its case, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. 12 yr olds are getting charged as adults and this ass wants to be treated like a child. If a 12 yr old is expected to know right from wrong should we expect less from an adult. This guy wanted to score points with friends for shits and giggles at the expense of another. 10 yrs would be too little.

Posted by: terry | Mar 14, 2012 10:43:54 AM

2. I fully expect a conviction on several of the charges, but the defense is going to do very well on appeal.

Posted by: anon | Mar 14, 2012 10:59:13 AM

3. I feel like the look of his face is very confident, like he thinks he's going to get away with it. what a jerk

Posted by: gggggb | Mar 14, 2012 11:12:28 AM

4. Just waitig for "Jason" to pop in and tell us how wonderful Ravi is.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 14, 2012 11:28:11 AM

5. He doesn't seem remotely contrite, though I don't expect him to be held fully responsible for someone's suicide.

I knew plenty about gays when I entered college. That was 20 years ago.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 14, 2012 11:41:19 AM

6. I don't think Ravi's actions are worth 10 years in prison... I think they're worth 10 years worth of PFLAG Meeting attendance.

Posted by: Jason | Mar 14, 2012 12:15:20 PM

7. Is he arrogant? Yes. Is he by all appearances a d-bag? Yes again. Is he responsible, legally, for Tyler killing himself? No. Should he receive a prison term if convicted on criminal charges? No.

Although I'd take him to civil court if I were Tyler's parents.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 14, 2012 12:30:58 PM

8. Actually, I don't even think Ravi is responsible in any way for Tyler killing himself. I think Tyler killed himself for reasons that had nothing to do with Ravi.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 14, 2012 12:32:44 PM

9. Whether or not Ravi was motivated by homophobia- that I can agree is a toss-up. But he deliberately invaded a very personal part of Tyler's privacy- multiple times, and as the article pointed out, he knew he did something which was morally wrong and illegal. He was an adult at the time- and was no Amish kid with no knowledge of gay people. He needs- he should do time.

Posted by: Scott | Mar 14, 2012 12:37:34 PM

10. That 12-year-olds are charged as adults in this country should not be used as an excuse for anything. This is something for the Americans to be ashamed of. Not that I would expect it from the blood-thirsty, hateful "liberals" on this board.

Posted by: AG | Mar 14, 2012 12:42:45 PM

11. He is guilty of all charges. That's why he was charged! He posted private intimate video on YouTube! Of course that was done to humiliate Tyler, why else would he do it? Being childish or ignorant is no excuse for breaking the law.

Posted by: Steve Pardue | Mar 14, 2012 12:47:46 PM

12. I wasn't there in the courtroom hearing the evidence, so I'll grant full respect to the jury's findings. It's not likely that bias has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. How on earth would you do that unless the kid was a frothing homophobe?

Invasion of privacy? Pfft, yeah gotta say I will take back my respect for the jury's findings if they don't find him guilty of that. I don't think that carries a prison term ... and personally that's not what I'm hoping for. I just want to see Ravi deported. He's not an American citizen, and we don't need any more douchebags of his ilk here in the country. We've plenty enough home-grown douchebags.

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 14, 2012 12:51:31 PM

13. He is guilty of all charges. That's why he was charged!
    *********

Another boot-licking authoritarian "liberal." A person is guilty just because the prosecutor said so. Gotcha!

Posted by: AG | Mar 14, 2012 12:51:32 PM

14. Dharun Ravi may one day realize he himself is gay...a lot of the details of the case--profiled in a very lengthy article in the New Yorker, amazing read--made me think of that possibility...

Posted by: shane | Mar 14, 2012 1:15:49 PM

15. To say that a university student "hasn't lived long enough to know anything about homosexuality or gays" is nonsense.

A gay person is "a woman who will only fall in love with a woman or a man who will only fall in love with a man." Any kindergartener of any orientation can be told that once and get it instantly.
    In fact, I understood it intuitively in kindergarten without having it explained by anyone else and before having the vocabulary presented to me. When I asked my mother for the vocabulary to describe it at 9 years old, I already understood the concepts.

His attorney could have said that he doesn't know what gay people are because he is unusually naive, has been systematically sheltered from the real world and lied to by an ignorant family or maybe he was raised by wolves. But the claim that he is too young should be dismissed as ridiculous.

Posted by: GregV | Mar 14, 2012 1:26:21 PM

16. Did the defense ever explain what worrying about having his iPad stolen had to do with Ravi secretly taping Clementi and then posting his intimate encounter on the Internet? Or how that would prevent such a theft?

Posted by: Tim | Mar 14, 2012 2:18:13 PM

17. Creep. Most people know the difference between right and wrong by the age of 5. What's this scumbag's excuse?

Posted by: Molc | Mar 14, 2012 3:06:48 PM

18. @ AG... "Blood-thursty, HATEFUL liberals ????" So, does that make you a "LOVING, compassionate Conservative?" Then stay off this site and go watch FOX News!

Posted by: Jeff R. | Mar 14, 2012 5:03:09 PM

19. Ravi wasn't too young to know that he was doing something invasive and hurtful. Good grief.

Posted by: RachelB | Mar 14, 2012 7:19:08 PM

20. RACHELB...SHUT THEFUCK UP!

Posted by: CHRIS DACHOCOLATEBEARCUB | Mar 15, 2012 1:33:55 AM

21. He is an arrogant, unapologetic and heartless person. Did he alone directly cause a suicide? I would have to say no, but there is no way we can ever know the truth of that issue. Did he shamelessly bully, intimidate, violate and hold up to ridicule and scorn one Tyler Clementi, now deceased? Absolutely. Has he offered ONE SOLITARY WORD of compassion, sympathy or concern? No. If I were a juror, I would do the math in 15 minutes. Guilty as charged. Not of a death since he is not charged with that;....of everything else.

Posted by: Fredd | Mar 15, 2012 9:51:08 AM