Aaron Schock | Illinois

Rep. Aaron Schock Accused Of Misusing Campaign Funds To Further Exercise Habit

6a00d8341c730253ef014e8854a2b3970d-800wiRep. Aaron Schock III, the toothsome hunk of lawmaking Republican mansteak who represents Illinois's 18th Congressional District, has come under fire for using campaign funds to purchase "P90X" home fitness DVD's. From The Hill:

Schock, 30, purchased the P90X "Extreme Home Fitness" DVDs during the 2010 election cycle and classified them as a "healthcare" expense.

... which they are! And they obviously work! Nevertheless, after initially including the DVDs in an itemized campaign expense filing, the Schock campaign redacted the item. Curiously, according to Melanie Sloan, of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, the totals in the amended report didn't change after the redaction. Rep. Schlock's staff insist there was no wrongdoing, though Rep. Schlock himself admits to loving his P90Xs, which he heartily endorsed in a fawning cover story in an issue of Men's Health last year. From The Hill:

"When I first saw [P90X], I kind of laughed," Schock told the magazine. "I didn't think you could get a real workout from a DVD. But at 6:30 a.m., it helps to have somebody talking you through your workout."

The piece noted that Schock — Congress's youngest member — is one of about 12 lawmakers who exercise together using the program most mornings.

In the interview, he cited one of his favorite quotations, from Benjamin Franklin: "A good example is the best sermon."

Comments

1. oh lord. Chris Barron's hero - a white conservative closeted gay man who cares more about abs than politics that actually help people.

*barf*

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 31, 2012 2:56:47 PM

2. HAWT. I have never seen a liberal that can hold a candle to a conservative in terms of HOTNESS like THIS.

YUMMMMMMY.

Posted by: Alan | Mar 31, 2012 3:03:14 PM

3. hot? well, i suppose some people have a fetish for eunuchs, but I'm certainly not one of them.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 31, 2012 3:06:17 PM

4. Yep, lets waste 500 million of taxpayer money on Solyndra for them to install potted plants in sterling silver canisters in their lobby for aesthetics while they KNEW they were going under, and worry about this guy buying DVDs. Well, I'm ready to march.

Posted by: MarkUs | Mar 31, 2012 3:06:31 PM

5. Cue our resident manly gays creaming their panties.

Posted by: Dev | Mar 31, 2012 3:06:34 PM

6. Markus, your family votes for anti-gay Republican candidates while pretending to support you as their son. Needless to say, your selective amnesia is quaintly adorable.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 31, 2012 3:09:31 PM

7. Très butch!

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Mar 31, 2012 3:09:47 PM

8. Kiwi, WHO is it exactly you have me confused with dear? YOUR family has never owned a pair of shoes and eats Velveeta right out of the box. Nnnya-nnnya.

Posted by: MarkUs | Mar 31, 2012 3:18:18 PM

9. oh, you're not "we vote republican" markus?
    :D

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 31, 2012 3:20:53 PM

10. You know, Markus, you could have stopped at, "eats Velveeta."

>shudder<

Posted by: TJ | Mar 31, 2012 3:31:00 PM

11. Off topic: why no coverage of the bull-shitting cruise ship couple arrested in Dominica for "walking around half naked on our deck" and "for being gay" when pictures have emerged taken from the dock? You knew Atlantis had proof. The article is nearing 300 comments on Queerty which is certainly a record.

Posted by: MarkUs | Mar 31, 2012 3:36:32 PM

12. I was already starting to have bad thoughts until I saw he's a repug. There goes my happy time.

Posted by: Justin | Mar 31, 2012 3:37:08 PM

13. At least he paid for it! Everyone I know borrows it from a friend on the internet.

Posted by: endo | Mar 31, 2012 3:37:42 PM

14. I'm much more concerned about the hypocrisy of the Republican position on exactly this--including and especially Schock's. They are against expanded coverage for preventative care and holistic healthcare measures, such as personal training, healthclub memberships, and physicals/screenings/weight loss counseling, etc. Despite the fact that they can increase productivity, reduce sick days, reduce healthcare costs overall, and help identify larger problems while they can still be treated with cheaper protocols, etc. The good Congressman, however, seems to have no problem buying an expensive exercise program and writing it off as a "healthcare" expense. While voting on healthcare and tax policy that makes it impossible for regular people seeking to do the same thing to not be able to write such things off. I hate hypocrisy on the little things as much as I do the big ones, and sometimes, like now, the big and small are actually well tied together.

Posted by: breckroy | Mar 31, 2012 3:43:32 PM

15. Markus, what does two men f***ing on a boat have to do with anything, really?

How this for a dose of reality: the GOP misusing any "power" they've attained in the last two years to do nothing for jobs, the economy, or American people and choosing instead to waste time and effort and money waging war on LGBT people, teachers, and women's uteruses.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 31, 2012 3:44:53 PM

16. Oh, den mother, I thought since the original story was here there should be a follow up. I said it was "off-topic", Mother Superior.

Posted by: MarkUs | Mar 31, 2012 3:50:40 PM

17. Pretty and fit, but his politics are Repulsive. I wish this were posted tomorrow, so this whole thing could be dismissed as an April Fool's Day joke....

Posted by: Terrance | Mar 31, 2012 4:04:38 PM

18. Markus, Michelle is looking for you. It's time for your facial. Also, stop posting off-topic crap when there's already another article about that subject. Go take your self-hating personage and family to that thread and post there.

Posted by: Winston | Mar 31, 2012 4:09:55 PM

19. "Off topic: why no coverage of the bull-shitting cruise ship couple arrested in Dominica for "walking around half naked on our deck" and "for being gay" when pictures have emerged taken from the dock? You knew Atlantis had proof. The article is nearing 300 comments on Queerty which is certainly a record."

I thought Andy et al. ran a story about it the other day. It's not like they ever had universal support to begin with. To me, they came off as yet another creepy couple and a reason to stay away from those silly cruises. They deserved to be arrested, but not mistreated. End of story, and nothing more to debate.

Posted by: Nat | Mar 31, 2012 4:13:04 PM

20. Also, thank you very much for making me wade in the cesspool that is Queerty. It's like a million and one Bill Perdues over there.

Posted by: Nat | Mar 31, 2012 4:19:47 PM

21. Part of me thinks is is for exposure. I mean its not like he couldn't buy it with his own money, right?

Posted by: Alexx | Mar 31, 2012 4:25:11 PM

22. Another closeted republican caught in a scandal? Quelle horreur!

Posted by: Beef and Fur | Mar 31, 2012 4:36:49 PM

23. Next up!
    Represenative Schock in his stool after his gangbang!

Posted by: Gay Chelsea | Mar 31, 2012 4:55:42 PM

24. What a waste.

I hereby volunteer myself to have my mind transplanted into Aaron Schock's body.

Posted by: fedorajoe | Mar 31, 2012 4:56:17 PM

25. @Markus:

500 million out of 80 billion. That's less than 1% that went to waste. Common allowance for loss is 2-3%.

So, there's that.