Rep. Aaron Schock Accused Of Misusing Campaign Funds To Further Exercise Habit

6a00d8341c730253ef014e8854a2b3970d-800wiRep. Aaron Schock III, the toothsome hunk of lawmaking Republican mansteak who represents Illinois's 18th Congressional District, has come under fire for using campaign funds to purchase "P90X" home fitness DVD's. From The Hill:

Schock, 30, purchased the P90X "Extreme Home Fitness" DVDs during the 2010 election cycle and classified them as a "healthcare" expense.

… which they are! And they obviously work! Nevertheless, after initially including the DVDs in an itemized campaign expense filing, the Schock campaign redacted the item. Curiously, according to Melanie Sloan, of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, the totals in the amended report didn't change after the redaction. Rep. Schlock's staff insist there was no wrongdoing, though Rep. Schlock himself admits to loving his P90Xs, which he heartily endorsed in a fawning cover story in an issue of Men's Health last year. From The Hill:

"When I first saw [P90X], I kind of laughed," Schock told the magazine. "I didn't think you could get a real workout from a DVD. But at 6:30 a.m., it helps to have somebody talking you through your workout."

The piece noted that Schock — Congress's youngest member — is one of about 12 lawmakers who exercise together using the program most mornings.

In the interview, he cited one of his favorite quotations, from Benjamin Franklin: "A good example is the best sermon."

Comments

1. MarkUs says

Yep, lets waste 500 million of taxpayer money on Solyndra for them to install potted plants in sterling silver canisters in their lobby for aesthetics while they KNEW they were going under, and worry about this guy buying DVDs. Well, I’m ready to march.

2. MarkUs says

Kiwi, WHO is it exactly you have me confused with dear? YOUR family has never owned a pair of shoes and eats Velveeta right out of the box. Nnnya-nnnya.

3. MarkUs says

4. breckroy says

I’m much more concerned about the hypocrisy of the Republican position on exactly this–including and especially Schock’s. They are against expanded coverage for preventative care and holistic healthcare measures, such as personal training, healthclub memberships, and physicals/screenings/weight loss counseling, etc. Despite the fact that they can increase productivity, reduce sick days, reduce healthcare costs overall, and help identify larger problems while they can still be treated with cheaper protocols, etc. The good Congressman, however, seems to have no problem buying an expensive exercise program and writing it off as a “healthcare” expense. While voting on healthcare and tax policy that makes it impossible for regular people seeking to do the same thing to not be able to write such things off. I hate hypocrisy on the little things as much as I do the big ones, and sometimes, like now, the big and small are actually well tied together.

5. says

Markus, what does two men f***ing on a boat have to do with anything, really?

How this for a dose of reality: the GOP misusing any “power” they’ve attained in the last two years to do nothing for jobs, the economy, or American people and choosing instead to waste time and effort and money waging war on LGBT people, teachers, and women’s uteruses.

6. Terrance says

Pretty and fit, but his politics are Repulsive. I wish this were posted tomorrow, so this whole thing could be dismissed as an April Fool’s Day joke….

7. says

Markus, Michelle is looking for you. It’s time for your facial. Also, stop posting off-topic crap when there’s already another article about that subject. Go take your self-hating personage and family to that thread and post there.

8. Nat says

“Off topic: why no coverage of the bull-shitting cruise ship couple arrested in Dominica for “walking around half naked on our deck” and “for being gay” when pictures have emerged taken from the dock? You knew Atlantis had proof. The article is nearing 300 comments on Queerty which is certainly a record.”

I thought Andy et al. ran a story about it the other day. It’s not like they ever had universal support to begin with. To me, they came off as yet another creepy couple and a reason to stay away from those silly cruises. They deserved to be arrested, but not mistreated. End of story, and nothing more to debate.

9. PAUL B. says

If I were into hairless prepubescent mindless idiots, I guess I could see the attraction. But, I’m a gay man who likes full grown men with at least one nipple hair…and an IQ of 50 plus. Is that a stretch?

10. ratbastard says

There’s such a thing as being too perfect looking, too perfect body, pretty looks. That’s this dude. Looks like a Ken doll. I like dudes more average with an edge to them. But to each his/her own.

11. jack says

I promise I will never vote for him, unless he shows up at my house and flashes a smile and those ABS and asks me to. So, I’m weak. I’m a gay man. I have no immunity to ABS like those.

12. says

very good Really i am impressed from this post….the person who created this post is a generous and knows how to keep the readers connected..thanks for sharing this with us found it informative and interesting. Looking forward for more updates..

13. says

Personally for me, I would much rather prefer a workout set like P90X. It’s a physical product that consists of 13 dvds,nutrition guides and calendar. I like it because it’s convenient and this is one of the few products where I’ve seen consistent results. I lost 30 pounds in 2 months. I could have lost more but I was a bit lazy. For those of you who are interested, I happen to know where you can get P90X at a deep discount of $65. Check out http://www.squidoo.com/where-can-i-buy-p90x that lens will direct you to the P90X for $65