Gay Parents | GLAAD | Iowa | News

BigGayDeal.com

Zach Wahls Talks About His Viral Video, His 'Gay Moms' at the GLAAD Awards: VIDEO

Wahls

At this weekend's GLAAD Awards, Zach Wahls talked about the experience of his speech in front of the Iowa legislature going viral, his 'gay moms', and the questions he gets asked the most. He's gotten even more adept at speaking, it seems.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. CHOPSTICKS!

genius :D love this man. love him moms.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 26, 2012 3:13:35 PM

2. "They're both women. It's what lesbian means."

Haha! You've gotta love this guy. Couldn't ask for a better ally. I just hope it's not bad karma to hope he enters politics.

Posted by: sparks | Mar 26, 2012 3:41:41 PM

3. I love him and I loved his presentation to the Iowa legislature, but honestly, he comes off a little too "inspirational speaker" in this video. Just be yourself, man, that's why we love you. You don't have to force it. You are naturally charming and engaging.

Posted by: Terry | Mar 26, 2012 3:48:36 PM

4. he's quite the professional now, eh? YOU GO, BOY!

what a gross question..."who's the man in the relationship?" that sounds just like questions i've heard from my equally ignorant west african relatives!!

Posted by: redball | Mar 26, 2012 3:53:54 PM

5. Most incredible public speaker I've ever heard. It's wild that he's in his 20s

Posted by: Cory | Mar 26, 2012 3:55:40 PM

6. Yep. I was thinking 'build him a glass cathedral in Iowa'. Exceptional. Wish him the best.

Posted by: kansastock | Mar 26, 2012 4:01:14 PM

7. He is an amazingly articulate young man. As much as I think that would serve him well in politics, I would hate to see him chewed up and changed by the beast of the political machine. As a lobbyist or maybe the face/voice of a non-profit I think he would excel. Zach is the kind of young person that is giving me a little hope for the future.

Posted by: CynJ | Mar 26, 2012 4:01:33 PM

8. It's interesting to contrast the speeches of people like Zach Wahls and many others with those speaking out against gay rights. The words of our opponents appeal to the WORST in human nature, fear and distrust of anyone not exactly like yourself, fear of change, fear of an angry, hateful deity. That's their entire strategy, to scare people enough that they're irrational enough to vote against their own interests.

Zach Wahls used MLK "bending toward justice" metaphor but there's one I like better from Quentin Crisp- "In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis. "

Posted by: Caliban | Mar 26, 2012 4:03:05 PM

9. I could repeat what everyone has said, ....how great a speaker he is.....how inspirational.....

But what I really want to say is;

Thank you Zach Walls, for being an open minded,fair and robust upholder of human love and for being a great ally to this community. You have much to contribute to all of society .....and I wish you well and a long life.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 26, 2012 4:21:05 PM

10. oops ! "Wahls".......sorry !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 26, 2012 4:22:39 PM

11. Great! So nice psot!

Posted by: dissertations | Mar 26, 2012 5:00:26 PM

12. After watching that, I can completely understand Maggie Gallagher's refusal to support equality in marriage - obviously two lesbians are incapable of raising a decent, caring, man who is a natural-born leader - Not!

Seriously, he is the best counter-argument to the lies and propaganda of the anti-gay hate movement, as are all the children of gay/lesbian parents. As our movement matures and the first generation of kids raised by openly gay/lesbian people come of age, I think we are discovering our most potent weapon: the very families the haters said we couldn't create.

Posted by: CPT_Doom | Mar 26, 2012 7:28:19 PM

13. "O brave new world that has such people in it"...the discovery of Zach Wahls has the feeling of a mother lode, an apt phrase I think. Some people more than others do seem to emerge like a pre-existent natural form exactly suited to a particular need at a particular time. I want Zach to live for a long time, his decency in tact through every challenge.

Posted by: uffda | Mar 26, 2012 8:04:41 PM

14. Somebody get this kid a seat in the Iowa state legislature.

Posted by: RTHK | Mar 26, 2012 11:38:31 PM

15. Zach, if you are the kind of man that lesbian moms raise, LETS HAVE MORE LESBIAN MOMS!

Posted by: jack | Mar 27, 2012 4:52:57 AM

16. I have always said that we as a community need someone to bring us all together as one. I think we have found that someone with the spirit and the love to bring the Gay & Straight Community together as ONE!.... And he's not even GAY...... WOW!!!

Posted by: Rocco Falco | Mar 27, 2012 8:01:58 AM

17. Zach's values are in keeping with his faith as a Unitarian Universalist. His family found support in their congregation where Zach attended the Sunday School and learned UU values. It's wonderful to see him living his religion. As a Unitarian Universalist minister who has been living with my partner for 17 years, I thank God for this faith and these people who welcome me as I am and encourage me to be the best I can be.

Posted by: Will | Mar 27, 2012 9:07:16 AM

18. I know some of you pathetic, middle-aged queens around here are going to jump all over me for saying this, but I'm not really on the Zach Walsh bandwagon. First of all, if he weren't so darn cute, I don't think that he'd have 1/10th as many Internet groupies, and secondly, I find it interesting that he is cashing in bigtime in his self-appointed role as "Cool Good-Looking Well-Spoken Straight Ally of the Embattled Gay Community." Sure, he is doing the right thing, but he is also getting a lot from it in terms of money, fame, and all the rest. I know some of you catty bitches don't like it when Tank tells it like it is, but hey, I have to keep it real!

Posted by: TANK | Mar 27, 2012 11:31:11 AM

19. Tank: I doubt that Zach would want such a negative person, as you, on "the Zach Walsh bandwagon". "Pathetic middle aged queens", "catty bitches". Do you really thimk that this is how adults speak when discussing things with other adults? I'll bet you can do better than that. Try.

Posted by: jack | Mar 27, 2012 12:42:58 PM

20. Andy, is there any way to block TANK from posting? He's such a Debbie Downer. Not to mention a total hater.

Posted by: peterparker | Mar 27, 2012 2:08:44 PM

21. @PeterParker (Spiderman, is that you?): Listen, I am not a hater: but in my mission of standing up for gay rights, I keep things real. Mindless cheerleading based on superficial things never did anyone any good. I'm sorry if you think I'm a Debbie Downer (what is that? some kind of cupcake??), but I try to judge people on what is in their heart, not on how "hot" they look on the outside. I'm just trying to stay real, dude, in a world filled with phoneys.

Posted by: TANK | Mar 27, 2012 2:28:44 PM

22. Doesn't Tank remind you all of Sue Sylvester on Glee...at her hateful worst. I love when she (sue/tank) spews endless tirades of nastiness...it's very funny and you know takes a lot of rehersal time. It's hard work being that ugly.
    Hey, Sue...Tank...you're being laughed at here...hope you enjoy the attention.

Posted by: Paul B. | Mar 27, 2012 2:40:03 PM

23. Hey "Tank" - how about you link us all your own video where you show your own work you're doing. better yet, link a video with your amazing family showing the amazing work THEY'RE doing.

if you wanna "keep it real" then keep it REALLY REAL - show us what your amazing empowered self is specifically doing.
    there is no "keeping it real" when don't have the balls to put a face to what you say.

i dare ya.

after all, my @ss can do it, why can't yours?

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 27, 2012 2:57:31 PM

24. @LITTLEKIWI: Wow, did you forget to take your meds today? This response was even less logical than your usual incoherent ramblings. Some middle aged queens are just so sad: they are grumpy and sarcastic and so they want to make everyone else feel the same way. Sometimes I just wonder if there is even any point in my posting here.

Posted by: TANK | Mar 27, 2012 3:46:41 PM