News | Ohio | Samuel Wurzelbacher

'Joe the Plumber' Asked if He's Still a Big Homophobe, Why He's Qualified to Run for Office: VIDEO

Joetheplumber

Zoraida Sambolin interviewed Samuel 'Joe the Plumber' Wurzelbacher this morning, who's running for Congress in Ohio, asking him what his qualifications are to lead the people.

Wurzelbacher held up his hands to show off his callouses and said "building houses, taking trees down, plumbing, and speaking at different events around the country" qualify him.

She then asked him about remarks he made in 2009.

PlumberIf you'll recall, he said this of same-sex marriage:

"At a state level, it’s up to them. I don’t want it to be a federal thing. I personally still think it’s wrong. People don’t understand the dictionary—it’s called queer. Queer means strange and unusual. It’s not like a slur, like you would call a white person a honky or something like that. You know, God is pretty explicit in what we’re supposed to do—what man and woman are for. Now, at the same time, we’re supposed to love everybody and accept people, and preach against the sins. I’ve had some friends that are actually homosexual. And, I mean, they know where I stand, and they know that I wouldn’t have them anywhere near my children. But at the same time, they’re people, and they’re going to do their thing."

Sambolin then pressed Wurzelbacher on whether he still held those same views. He said:

"I'm going to work towards all Americans – homosexual, straight. They want jobs. That's what it comes down to. I'm allowed to have my opinions as an American but it seems the left has become very intolerant when you have an opinion other than what they state."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. "Intolerant Left" seems to be the latest GOP meme... I've actually experienced it myself; the intolerance that is.

It's all in the delivery; keep it civilized.

The big diff btwn the 2 extremes of thought, is that only 1 group is trying to pass laws restricting the other? Is it intolerant to acknowledge the truth?

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Mar 8, 2012 9:29:45 AM

2. Yeah, how dare you call him a bigot just because he has bigoted views and wants to pass bigoted laws.

Oh, and incidentally: prove you have gay friends, asswipe. This "some of my best friends" BS is getting old.

Posted by: Rich F. | Mar 8, 2012 9:37:41 AM

3. He can have his opinion. But when he tries to legislate his stupid "opinions" into law, he is going to get called out for it

Posted by: Steve | Mar 8, 2012 9:39:52 AM

4. When it's convenient the right says the left is too tolerant, and when it's convenient the right says the left is too intolerant.

Posted by: Eric | Mar 8, 2012 9:43:20 AM

5. Yeah...I understand. I don't let hateful bigots around my sweet-spirited children, so I guess we're even.

Posted by: Rin | Mar 8, 2012 9:45:05 AM

6. "I have some friends that are actually homosexual...they know I wouldn't have them anywhere near my children".
    WOW those must be some close friends! I know I have tons of "friends" who won't allow me anywhere near their kids. I do believe these a**holes have gay friends alright, but they're all "straight" married closet cases who go on Brokeback fishing trips and call Joe the Plumber to snake their drain, occasionally.

Posted by: DrJWL | Mar 8, 2012 9:46:23 AM

7. 1) What exactly are the qualifications to be a congressman/woman?

2) What are the qualifications to be a news anchor/reporter/teleprompter reader?

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 8, 2012 9:46:54 AM

8. There should be a website devoted to the gay friends of anti-gay people. I would love to know what gay person would be friends with someone who didn't want them "anywhere near his children". If these people can't be found, then a satirical website would be fun, too.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Mar 8, 2012 9:49:23 AM

9. Some friend "I wouldn’t have them anywhere near my children."

Posted by: JeanKrystle | Mar 8, 2012 9:52:26 AM

10. So to be a congressman you only have to be able to unclog a toilet? My plunger and I are headed to Washington! And while I have plenty of great straight friends, since the vast majority of pedophiles are heterosexuals, I don't let them anywhere near my dog......

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Mar 8, 2012 9:53:57 AM

11. Seriously, does anyone know if this idiot actually stands a chance of getting elected?

Posted by: Butch | Mar 8, 2012 10:06:37 AM

12. CNN should just let its network go to black about half the day. The network over reports and it is at the point of political overindulgence!

Besides Andersons reporting is starting to gives me panic attacks...at least he could take a gulp of air between stories!

Posted by: Vern Dufford | Mar 8, 2012 10:09:23 AM

13. It must be an awful thing to be him.

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 8, 2012 10:13:35 AM

14. Anyone interested in helping Marcy Kaptur defeat this clown should look at:

Posted by: Guy from DC | Mar 8, 2012 10:16:15 AM

15. @Butch: well, stranger things have happened in American politics, but Joe's chance of going to congress aren't very promising. He's facing veteran Democratic Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur in a very Democratic district. Kaptur just defeated longtime fellow Democratic Congressman Dennis Kuchinich in Tuesday's primary. The two veteran Democrats were intentionally pitted against each other as a result of the Ohio Republican legislature's redistricting map.

The GOP will not be spending time or resources on Joe. He learned a few lessons in becoming a political grifter from Palin in the 2008 election. He's making more money now as a "candidate" than he ever has in his life. If you know how to work it, politics, like religion, can be a very profitable scam.

Posted by: Bob R | Mar 8, 2012 10:20:58 AM

16. Thanks, Bob! I knew that Kaptur had won over Kucinich, didn't know that Joe would be her opponent.

Posted by: Butch | Mar 8, 2012 10:24:48 AM

17. *yawn* Why would anyone bother to dig up this never-has-been?

Posted by: Jexer | Mar 8, 2012 10:33:38 AM

18. Oh so the fact that I am a clock repairman by vocation and I work with my hands and with drills means that I can go out immediately and set up shop as a dentist?
    Yay! I just increased my salary 20 fold

Posted by: stevenelliot | Mar 8, 2012 10:36:40 AM

19. "No human trait deserves less tolerance in everyday life, and gets less, than intolerance."
    -Giacomo Leopardi, Italian poet, essayist, and philosopher.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Mar 8, 2012 10:56:23 AM

20. "I wouldn’t have them anywhere near my children."

My sister had the same view being an Evangelical Christian. Funny how her belief system went out the window when she needed a free babysitter for her daughters.

Posted by: Dale | Mar 8, 2012 11:12:42 AM

21. I absolutely *love* when white folks pull out the "honky" example. Ha. Cracks me up. Who has ever actually heard someone use the word "honky" with any significant effect? (Excluding George Jefferson, of course.)

Posted by: Scot Colford | Mar 8, 2012 11:52:37 AM

22. Wurzelbacher doesn't have a chance against Kaptur. In the newly reapportioned 9th Cong. District in Ohio, she not only trounced Kucinich but she buried him in the Toledo area, 95% to 5%. Union labor will be strong supporters for Kaptur. Wurzelbacher will go nasty but Kaptur can hit back strongly and more effectively. Remember, this is the same district that, in 2010, had a GOP candidate who liked to do Nazi reenactments.

Posted by: Les | Mar 8, 2012 11:53:39 AM

23. He's an opportunist like most of the right. But has anyone else noticed hat every accusation they throw at the left seems to be a description of what the right is up to. Every label they accuse describes them...intolerant, big government, big spenders, etc.

Posted by: Bill | Mar 8, 2012 11:55:45 AM

24. "I'm going to work towards all Americans – homosexual, straight. They want jobs. That's what it comes down to."

AKA: "I still thing queers are gross and gay marriage is an abomination, but all my handlers have coached me to talk about was Job Creation."

Posted by: MateoM | Mar 8, 2012 11:55:46 AM

25. i love the dunderheaded intellectual dishonesty from Conservatives:

"it's, um, really intolerant of the left for not tolerating my specifically intolerant opinion. y'know? like where's that Great Liberal Tolerance they always talk about? they can't handle Other Opinions, and it clearly has nothing to do with the very-specific fact that my opinions are intolerant to others..."

the Right says this all the time - and it makes no intellectual sense.

the irony - "Wurzelbacher" - right, i bet having that for a surname wasn't causing any tension back during WWII, eh?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 8, 2012 12:14:09 PM