Cleveland DJ Dominic Dieter Apologizes for Telling Man He Should Have His Possibly-Gay Daughter Raped Straight

Over the weekend, Brandon posted about Cleveland WMMS Radio personality Dominic Dieter and his advice to a man who discovered his daughter kissing another girl that he "get one of [his] friends to screw [his] daughter straight."

DieterThis morning, Dieter apologized:

"I just wanted to say that, I know on the show this past Friday I made some comments that people found…..  considered to be offensive.  And I just wanted to say, I understand why people are angry.  I want to genuinely apologize to anyone who may have been offended by what I said.  I regret what I did say.  My comments were inappropriate.  They were inexcusable, and just downright stupid.   And I want to make it clear; there was absolutely no intention to promote physical or sexual violence.  And I’m truly; truly sorry by my poor choice of words that led people to believe otherwise.  Again, Rover… I just want to apologize for any pain I might have caused. (…)  I ask people to find it in their hearts to forgive me.  I am sorry for the words that I did say. "

WMMS told GLAAD it is disciplining Dieter but hasn't specified the punishment. The station says it will also run PSAs "about the dangers of parental rejection, and the importance of giving LGBT young people a safe learning environment."

Comments

1. Fenrox says

Eh, This guy should go. He has no common sense, and clearly he will do something like this again, unintentionally I bet, so just remove now.

I think its strange that a guy could be so out of touch with other people to think it would be OK to just casually joke about rape. It’s never OK because you never know who has been raped, and it is NOT OK to drag any rape victim through that for laughs.

2. Jon says

No, he denies calling for violence, and apologized for thinking gays should be turned straight. If you read what he originally said, he never called for rape.

3. NullNaught says

I don’t know if this guy means anything he says. I think he was just shooting off his mouth in the first place and revealed something ugly deep within himself. However one reads the original article, I don’t think it is very pretty. I don’t know if I particularly believe him now, or don’t and I don’t much care because I don’t much care about him. I doubt he will be as successful as Howard Stern, so I don’t think he will ever be in a position to shape the opinions of those on the fence. He speaks to a more commited crowd, I suspect, rather than those in the middle. He is more of an unintentional joke than anything else.

4. Madcitymike says

It just seems “common place” now for people to say horrible things, then “apologize”, which is supposed to make everything right. I’m tired of listening to apologies that are made after people are called on whatever was said, then expecting everyone to say, “awww…that’s OK, we know you didn’t mean it”. What BS……

5. Paul Keckonen says

“I made some comments that people found….. considered to be offensive. And I just wanted to say, I understand why people are angry. I want to genuinely apologize to anyone who may have been offended by what I said.”

Edit that to “I made some comments that ARE offensive” and “I want to genuinely apologize to EVERYBODY who heard my comments”
    Come back with the edited apology and we’ll talk. Until then you can sit on it.

6. MiKem says

I just hope his “disciplining” by the radio station involves working at a rape crisis center… perhaps that will help him understand the horror of this type of violence!!!!!

7. Rrhain says

@Jon: How does a lesbian have sex with a male against her will and not have it be rape? How is being made to have sex against your will not violent in and of itself?

@JeffNYC: It’s a non-apology because he keeps shifting blame to everybody else: “That people found,” “Who may have been offended.” “I might have caused.” That’s not taking responsibility for your actions. Especially when he tries to pass it off as a “poor choice of words.” What exactly would have been a good “choice of words” to suggest that somebody be sexually assaulted in an attempt to change her sexual orientation? If he had left it at just, “I regret what I did say. My comments were inappropriate. They were inexcusable and just downright stupid,” he might have a chance at being believed, but he kept on talking, proving that what he was really sorry for was getting caught, for not recognizing that his actions have consequences.

8. Mary in Iowa says

So the station will do PSA’s but just how does the DJ still feel about lesbians — just the same as he did the day before. I wrote the the station before and think I will do it again.

9. Leroy Laflamme says

PAUL KECKONEN said it! It’s never an apology when it’s clear they don’t accept responsibilty & they say things like ‘IF someone was offended’. If, hell – of course someone was offended. And these are ostensibly professionals who, one would think, are being managed by professional handlers. Reminds me of that sordid Tracy Morgan scandal & the way that shocker was handled. One more thing: JON, your reading of the situation is completely wrong. YOU go back & read what he originally said – & while you’re at it read all the comments on the original post, a few days ago. With your glasses on. Or just go & join those two fools at the Semantics Hotel make it a threesome.

10. Yuki says

It’s not shifting blame to say “who may have been offended” or “I might have caused”, because not EVERYONE who heard them was offended, as unfortunate as it is.

11. jack says

Dieter is a total scum bag and should be run out of town. What he said gives us a look into his soul and it is a dark and hateful place. No apology can paint over his disturbed mind. Don’t accept it. NEVER.

12. BrokebackBob says

Sorry Dominic, you can’t spin your way out
    of this one. You meant what you said with
    every fiber of your stupid asinine being.
    How long did it take you to find an agency
    that would advise you how to save your
    sorry ass?

13. Bman says

I was shocked about his apology on air today. I didn’t even hear what he said, but going from the quote above…really? Dieter is stupid and he always says stupid things. This radio show is all about being edgy and having edgy content and I figured something was up when they didn’t introduce him today. Apparently someone struck a nerve eh? Its live radio, do you expect them to run a 15 minute delay so they can review its content to be sure it is all morally, ethically and sexally correct? I feel sorry for companies that have to put up with this, someone with a lot of pull obviously was involved in getting him to apologize. Just like any form of entertainment, if you don’t like it, don’t listen right? And if your offended, there’s no need to go whining to all of your friends to join the cause. That guy (dieter) is seriously STUPID, I don’t think any regular listeners would have been offended by this, he brings great content to the show at times, don’t listen and leave the fun to the rest of us.

14. parkrunner says

Sorry bman but you and your fellow “regular listeners” are assholes. Seriously, see a shrink about your self hate and your love of “great content”. Here’s a question: can I get someone to screw your daughter, sister or mother? Ha!Ha!Ha!
    I know I’m just being stupid but what fun! If you don’t like what I’m saying, don’t read it! Ha! Ha! Ha!

15. UFFDA says

Just take your barbells and smash them into you teeth.
    America is filled with the names and faces of people who have no business being heard of.

16. Steve says

I’m so tired of public figures having to apologize for things they say, all of a sudden its a crime to have an opinion that everybody else doesn’t agree with. All these people that are mad about it………it seems like they prefer entertainment from the 40’s, where basically nothing funny was allowed, you couldnt even say the word “pregnant” on tv. Entertainment takes a step forward and these little whiners force it two steps back

17. Coach says

How is this inappropriate. Grow some thicker skin people and stop taking offense to everything in life. He was obviously joking. It’s his job to be outrageous like that. It’s why we listen. The pussification of America is out of control. Toughen up or shut up.

18. says

People need to contact Clear Channel and get this guy off the air because if he did it once, he will do it again. Here’s their information:
    Corporate Snail Mail Address: