News | Space | Washington DC

BigGayDeal.com

Space Shuttle Discovery Takes Off on Final Voyage to D.C.: VIDEO

Ss1

NASA's Space Shuttle Discovery took off on the back of a 747 from the Kennedy Space Center bound for Washington D.C. this morning, where it will live in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. After taking off, the Shuttle made a low pass up the Florida coast where people were gathered on beaches to watch it go by.

The Shuttle will also make a low flyover of D.C. when it arrives and should be visible between 10 and 11 am this morning.

Video (NASA live and archive when available), AFTER THE JUMP...

Ss2

Ss3

Ss4

Ss6

NASA Live TV (and archive of the takeoff when available), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Having grown up as a young child with the wonders of the Apollo program and remembering the first space shuttle flight as a adolescent, it is disheartening to see how far the US space program has fallen in recent years. I think it may take a Chinese moon landing to wake us up.

Posted by: Anonymous | Apr 17, 2012 7:34:55 AM

2. No, unfortunately it will not be until the Chinese set-foot on Mars or Europa that America's policy-makers wake-up....and by then it will be fatally too-late.

Spain and Portugal explored the whole World in the 15th and 16th centuries, and look where they are now.

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Apr 17, 2012 9:59:17 AM

3. OK where's the guy who's gonna make a remark about which plane's top and which one's bottom. Come on now...oh dear.

Posted by: uffda | Apr 17, 2012 11:46:17 AM

4. It was pretty incredible to see. It flew over my office twice at an extremely low altitude (Arlington, VA). Unfortunately did not have my phone with me.

Posted by: Ernest | Apr 17, 2012 12:04:51 PM

5. such a waste of money
    a real boondoggle
    very little science has come from this
    whitey on the moon

Posted by: jw | Apr 17, 2012 11:48:37 PM

6. "Change is rarely accomplished without regret about the letting go." Quoting one of my high school teachers about the feelings that I and my friends experienced this morning with the departure of the shuttle Discovery from Kennedy Space Center. We grew up in the shadow of Cape Canaveral in Cocoa Beach and have watched the US Space Program from it's infancy in the 50's and 60's. To me the program was the spark that ignited the growth of every aspect of our lives today and will carry us into the future of mankind.

Posted by: charley | Apr 18, 2012 3:22:04 AM