Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Gay Marriage | Military | News | San Diego

Gay Navy Veteran Proposes to Marine Returning from Afghanistan at Camp Pendleton in Military First

2_vets

In what is believed to be the first marriage proposal between a gay couple on a U.S. military base, and both are war veterans. Navy Vet and San Diego resident Cory Huston proposed to Marine Avarice Guerrero as he returned from Afghanistan.

VetsSan Diego LGBT Weekly was there to photograph it, and writes:

April 24, under a bright Southern California sky at Camp Pendleton’s Camp Del Mar near Oceanside, Calif., a full two hours before his boyfriend’s return from the badlands of Afghanistan, Cory Huston waited nervously. Huston, who was discharged under the former Don’t Ask Don’t Tell policy, chain smoked as he rehearsed the simple proposal he would deliver when Guerrero would arrive.

He told LGBT Weekly that by popping the question, and assuming Guerrero would say yes, he would not only be changing his and his beau’s lives forever, but also the landscape of marriage among gay servicemembers...

...After a few minutes of emotional holding and kissing, Huston went anxiously down on one knee; looked up at Guerrero, who was dressed from head to toe in military fatigues; and produced an engagement ring and the time-honored phrase, “Will you marry me?”

Huston’s mild tremble, a result of hours and days of anticipation about this day, was quickly quieted by the one word every hopeful fiancé wants to hear: “Yes.”

Read the full account and more pics at LGBT Weekly.

(images james freeman at lgbt weekly)

Comments

1. Que right-wing outrage about PDA among soldiers in uniform (a quick Google Images search shows a handful of these on the first page - heteros, of course).

Posted by: kpo5 | Apr 27, 2012 8:51:09 AM

2. Love this! And if right-wing heads explode, even better.

Posted by: Rick S. | Apr 27, 2012 9:00:47 AM

3. Beautiful! What a great way to start the day!

Posted by: kit | Apr 27, 2012 9:17:25 AM

4. Awesome!!!!

Posted by: Ted | Apr 27, 2012 9:28:08 AM

5. This is NOT going to go over well with his fellow Marines. I'm sure there are going to be insults and worse. I bet his buddies stop talking to him at the very least. I mean, a Marine marrying another Marine would be OK, but a squid?

Posted by: BobN | Apr 27, 2012 10:06:47 AM

6. The couple minutes surrounding my husband proposal to me is etched into my brain. The sights, sounds, smells..I can call them up and play them like a film in my head. Raindrops make a sea. Each and every time something like this happens it wears away the opposition. Congratulations soldiers!

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Apr 27, 2012 10:14:38 AM

7. Assuming they're California residents, they aren't in a state where they CAN get married, at least not until the Prop 8 case is settled.

But this is one of the big reasons I thought DADT repeal was such an important issue. Here are two men who were in the military, one a veteran and the other currently serving, and the government is going to tell them they don't and can't have the same rights as the people whose rights (at least rhetorically) they fought to protect? That goes against what this country was allegedly built on.

Who is Willard "I was on my Mormon mission instead of Vietnam" Romney (or Barack Obama for that matter) to tell them they don't have full rights after they've "served their country" in the military? Make them stand up and say that to these men's faces, that they don't have full rights. They either stand behind all that "support the troops" rhetoric and allow them to marry or they admit they believe gays should remain 2nd class citizens.

Posted by: Caliban | Apr 27, 2012 10:16:05 AM

8. i cried. congrats to american heroes and their future together!

Posted by: DRG | Apr 27, 2012 10:18:06 AM

9. @BOBN,

To be fair, he is a "former" squid! So maybe his fiance won't get too much ribbing.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Apr 27, 2012 10:26:48 AM

10. This is just beautiful! What a perfect way to cap off my week and start the weekend. Thanks for this!

Posted by: Bobby | Apr 27, 2012 10:41:10 AM

11. Reading this made my day...and made me cry. All the very best to the happy couple!

Posted by: Fred | Apr 27, 2012 11:07:27 AM

12. Nice, but he could have done better than t-shirt and shorts.

Posted by: anon | Apr 27, 2012 11:07:50 AM

13. Reminds me of the British ad from the other day. "Life Imitates Art"! Really nice. Love reading these kind of posts.

Posted by: Married in MA | Apr 27, 2012 11:29:23 AM

14. corpsmen and marines have always had a special relationship. now those who choose to can make it permanent.

hooray for mixed marriages, i knew this was bound to happen.

Posted by: bandanajack | Apr 27, 2012 11:36:14 AM

15. Fantastic! This Navy vet wishes them a long healthy and happy life together.

Posted by: jack | Apr 27, 2012 2:08:00 PM

16. Congratulations gentlemen! For those interested - http://OUTmilitary.com has been providing a supportive environment for friending, sharing and networking between Gay active military, vets and supporters since December, 2010.

Posted by: Out Military | Apr 27, 2012 2:21:39 PM

17. Yaaay for the freedom of loving who you want.

Posted by: Drew | Apr 27, 2012 2:36:09 PM

18. A jarhead? Jesus, man...that dude couldn't find another squid to marry?

I kid! Seriously though, this is awesome. Hoo-yah!

Posted by: J.J. In The Navy | Apr 27, 2012 3:28:50 PM

19. Wonderful! This Army vet wishes them a long and happy life together.

Posted by: Fritz Keppler | Apr 27, 2012 7:54:43 PM

20. Bobn- "marine" is not capitalized except in US Marine Corps or when it is the first word in a sentence.

Posted by: David Hearn | Apr 27, 2012 11:58:57 PM

21. This navy vet had lots of very good times w/ marines (actually when I was on active duty -- less now). I spent >3/4 of my navy career w/ the USMC. I totally respect them and their missions. However, the love of my life was also navy. We were active duty when we met -- this was even before DADT so I couldn't propose to him then. I find this so emotionally exciting and wish we could get rid of this damn Prop 8 so we can finally make our relationship legitimate (and stop living in sin)..... that last was a joke.

Posted by: Steven | Apr 28, 2012 12:55:06 PM

22. That's great. :)

Posted by: Miguel | Apr 28, 2012 2:56:10 PM

23. Thank you for all your supportive comments and the hateful ones whatever. As for me wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I was standing outside waiting for him for several hours in the sun and didn't wanna sweat my ass off in slacks and a dress shirt.

Posted by: Cory R Huston | Apr 29, 2012 12:44:12 AM

24. Best of luck to the both of you guys!

Posted by: James A. Gallub | Apr 29, 2012 9:05:51 AM