GOProud Doesn’t Like Dan Savage Speech

SavageGOProud

Yesterday, I posted a video of portion of a speech delivered by Dan Savage to a conference of high school journalists. Dan's speech was to be about bullying, and anti-gay bullying in particular, and Dan didn't bother being PC: He acknowledged up front that a lot of anti-gay sentiment comes from a literal reading of the Bible, and suggested that it is possible for Christians to learn to ignore that book's seemingly anti-gay sentiment, just as they ignore its prohibitions on the eating of shellfish and repeated endorsements of slavery.

This isn't an anti-Christian message. It's an anti-Biblical literalism message. But GOProud, just like the rightist media reporting on Dan's speech, seems to have missed that point. They released this statement yesterday:

Today, GOProud, a national organization of gay and straight Americans seeking to promote freedom by supporting free markets, limited government, and a respect for individual rights, condemned a speech given by left wing gay activist Dan Savage. "Dan Savage¹s outrageous anti-Christian tirade hurts, not helps, the fight for gay rights in this country," said Jimmy LaSalvia, GOProud Executive Director. "There is nothing incompatible between being a Christian and believing that all people should be treated equally, and Dan Savage¹s attacks on Christianity only fuel those on the extremist fringe who oppose gay rights.

"Dan Savage should apologize for his comments and should apologize to the high school students in attendance whom he called 'pansy-asses,'" continued LaSalvia. "It is ironic that someone whose claim to fame is fighting bullying would resort to bullying tactics in attacking high school students who were offended by his outrageous remarks.

"GOProud works with people of faith every single day gay and straight. We believe strongly that people of faith should be treated with respect," concluded LaSalvia.

… which is a rather gross mischaracterization of what occurred at Dan's speech, but oh well. GOProud's a political organization; good politics are its biz. Dan's a journalist, and his business is to tell the truth to the best of his ability. These ends are not always simpatico.

Comments

1. says

They’re right. Savage could have gotten his point across without the language he used, which is pretty offensive in public settings, and especially so with young people in the audience.

Even you made the point in the first paragraph of this post without using profanity.

Savage was wrong. Stop holding up every word he utters as some kind of pronouncement from above. He made a mistake and should learn from it.

Peace <3
    Jay

2. neptune says

These are the same freaking Uncle Toms that thought people protesting Scott Lively in Boston a few weeks ago was the work of activists. Screw them. Seriously.

3. says

When Dan was in college, I was his manager at the restaurant where he was a waiter. He was always very bright, hilariously witty, and it was his nature to blurt out things he thought would get a rise out of people. Back then, before his career as a gay activist, his cause was the victimization of non-smokers in a smoker’s world. He said things to provoke the smokers at the workplace, but he was also a good friend to everyone. When I hear him speak as he did to this class, I just hear the Dan I knew 25 years ago….but I agree, he really ought to tone it down, now that he has, whether he likes it or not, become viewed as a spokesperson for so many of us.

4. Artie_in_Lauderdale says

When the misguided individuals in GOProud rush to the defense of homophobic scripture that should be condemned by all people of goodwill, people can’t help but wonder why the GOProud partisans are doing this. My own guess is that they are trying to impress their homophobic relatives with how self-loathing they are. They hope that by doing this, their homophobic relatives will hate them less. Someone should tell them that their efforts are in vain. This is a sad cautionary tale.

5. Mike says

Oh yes, I remember reading everyone clutching their pearls in yesterday’s comment thread about his speech in… what was it called? Oh, yes, “Journalism on the Edge”.

Those students knew who he was, what his style is, what his politics are, and what the name of the conference was. All this talk of “offending them” is nonsense.

As for the substance of what he said, I noticed no one has attempted to refute him.

Typical right-wing manufactured outrage.

6. Oliver says

Oh pleeze. I have to suffer through listening to politicians both in and running for office make all sorts of nasty claims as to my character and sexual proclivities (all of which are flat out lies), yet the moment Dan Savage states something that is 100% the truth, people act all hot and bothered. Where were they went Rick Santorum was on teevee every night rattling off his bullsh–? If the kids at this conference can’t take hearing the world bullsh-t then they are ill prepared to go out into the real world. Maybe they should just stay home with their bigoted parents and read their fairy tale Bible book.

7. Ricco says

Perhaps Dan Savage could have tempered his speech a bit, not so much what he said about the bible, and the christian propensity to project upon the rest of us their religious revelations, and the need to legislate the Christian faith (which, once legislated ,ceases to be faith . . . but try to explain that to them)but the colorful euphemisms . . . but nothing that GOProud has to say is relevant to those gays looking for equal standing with our heterosexual counterparts.

We need people like Dan, smart, a quick with, who are willing, as he says to push back. And I have to agree with him that considering the beat downs he, myself, and others have gotten . . . both literally and figuratively speaking . . . from those who called themselves the loving disciples of Jesus Christ, they do seem to be a bunch of Pansy A** wimps to walk out when someone pushes back.

It is outrageous to equate a derogatory oratory on ones faith, one’s Holy Book, and the physical and emotional bullying that teens carry out on other teens driving them to suicide. And it is patently ridiculous for the contemporary American christian to speak about being persecuted for their faith.

It is typical of racists, bullies, and bigots to assume a pretense of being bullied themselves, of being persecuted.

It could only help those Christian kids who walked out on Dan Savages speech to spend a summer in a Sunni or Shiite neighborhood in either Iraq, Iran, of Afghanistan to gain some perspective on the true nature of religious persecution.

I am sure a Dan Savage rant would seem tame by comparison.

But I do have to wonder, will they walk out on an interviewee every time she/he says something which offends their finer Christian sensibilities? I also wonder if they not heard the scripture that says that love is not easily offended?

These are things those kids are not concerned about. I am sure the will, in the pursuit of their journalistic goals, adopt the Fair and balanced model of Fox news, and put their own special spin on things.

So, we definitely need our Dan Savages, especially when we have GoProud out there to working so diligently on the behalf of heterosexual rights.

8. Ricco says

I am sure a Dan Savage rant would seem tame by comparison.

9. Just sayin' says

Dan Savage gets it- TRUTH TO POWER! There is nothing that Savage said that is not true, and that’s what really galls the Christianists. One must fully expect that various homocons (in L.A., we have homocon & spokeshole John Phillips who appears to worship Ann Coulter) will use their soapboxes to opine against any LGBT who dares to shake the status quo. Expect more of the same.

10. Terry says

Excuse me…what if you don’t believe in God? You don’t hold the Bible to how we conduct ourselves in secular life? The bigots use the Bible and invoke some fake “God” to attempt to deny GLBT Americans their SECULAR rights. Time and time again marriage bills pass, explicitly exempting religions and churches against things they don’t believe in…such as conducting same-sex marriages…and the bigots will STILL vehemently be against these things. Religious bigots hate us. Period. And I’m getting a little tired of catering, of excusing that hate. Good for Dan Savage. And as usual, the quislings of our community, GOProud, really don’t give a damn about our equality, anyway.

11. Rick says

Outrage begets outrage, repeat ad infinitum. I really wish we could take a holiday from the feigned hysteria for just one — oh, I don’t know — week?

But whatever. This is the way we talk to each other now. Scoring cheap points rather than giving a flying fig about trying to understand what other people mean to say. It’s unfortunate that against this backdrop, style matters all the more.

12. Tarc says

OK, is anyone supposed to take *anything whatsoever* that a gay Republican groups says with any seriousness? If they can’t understand that ‘gay Republican’ is an intellectual and philosopical oxymoron, then really, GIGO.
    I’m not thrilled with Savage’s tone to a group of under 18’s, but it’s not like he said anything that wasn’t true. Of course, conservatives always take a page from the FOX News handbook, and take the bits they like, make up the rest, and then lie their asses off at the top of their voices – no matter how obviously inane whatever they end up saying actually is.

13. sparks says

GOProud members have deceived themselves into thinking that just because they’re out of the closet, they aren’t self-loathing.

Before ANY such organization issues proclamations and demands apologies, they need to apply a very simple litmus test: “Is what he said true?” And if so, STFU.

What Savage said was absolutely true. Selectively ignoring inconvenient parts of the bible doesn’t change the fact that those parts exist; and it certainly doesn’t prevent a large number of christians from insisting on adherence to a literal translation (of the parts which which are convenient for them.)

14. Artie_in_Lauderdale says

@ Rick,

The main problem with some comments on the other thread was that they addressed only the style rather than the substance of Dan’s speech. Teenagers use the word “bullsh*t” all the time, and Dan was speaking to high school students interested in journalism. If Dan’s audience had been adult elected officials at a congressional hearing about bullying in schools, I’m sure his language would have been more formal. The principle involved remains the same, regardless of the language style. Secular people have every right to criticize the Bible since Christianists regularly use the Bible to influence public policy, which affects the entire population, not just Christians.

15. Rick says

Thanks Artie, and I appreciate that many HS kids toss around profanities all day. And lots of kids call each other belittling and hurtful names. On this we can all happily agree.

But if any of my teachers/invited speakers had said bulls**t to us, or called us pansy-a**ed, they would have been reprimanded. And if any of those figures had used profanity to describe the Koran/Bible/Talmud/etc there would have been zero doubt in any mind that they were over the line.

16. Matt says

I couldn’t care less for GOProud. They’re nothing but a bunch of self-loathing twits. The only thing “gay” about them is the tokenism of gay people for the sole purposes of selling out to anti-gay Republicans. They need to learn self-respect. They’re utterly pathetic.

17. jim says

Well said, TERRY, bravo and thank you!

The crux of it for me is that religious people who are against us assume that just because THEY believe, in their god and bible, everyone else in our (secular) society does as well. Not so, and I find this assumption highly insulting.

18. jim says

I’m confused, it that the real Rick posting today, or the fake Rick? Only asking because I’m finding myself strangely sorta in agreement with what he said!

Um, Kiwi, are you masquerading again? *wink*

Where is Kiwi, anyway, did he go out of town for the weekend or something?

19. jim says

Sidenote to something else Rick said. I did have a teacher in high school (history) who did use words like bullsh*t, now and then. This was in smalltown Ohio, the mid-70s. He was the “cool” younger teacher, a bit rebellious and out-spoken. And he brought out the best in all of us, really engaged us in learning and questioning and THINKING. Even having graduated college, I still consider Jon Ulbright, in high school, the best teacher I had.

20. GeorgeM says

Does goproud know anything about fighting for gay rights? They say Dan has hurt out fight yet they do Nothing to help. I think we should email jimmy at goproud and ask what they do to help the fight. Dan has done more and will continue to do more then this group of clowns has ever done.
    Really tho we should email him and ask, where’s kiwi??

21. Artie_in_Lauderdale says

@ Rick,

You’re still carefully avoiding substance. Secular people are rightfully calling out the hateful lies in the Bible, and people of goodwill are increasingly in agreement. National opinion is turning against the Christianists and the lies in their scriptures. That may or may not upset you, but it’s part of the world you have to wake up to every morning. If the change in American culture doesn’t upset you, then you should say so. Make a comment based on substance, unless you’re trying to disguise your agenda.

22. Rick says

Thanks Artie. But I’m thinking you didn’t even read my initial comment. Feel free to go back and check it out. In the mean time I’ll paste a relevant bit:

“As someone who criticized the tone of Savage’s remarks (but NOT the substance — believe it or not, there is a difference), I’d like to go on the record as saying that GOProud has completely mischaracterized the substantive content of the speech. Thanks, Brandon, for aptly pointing out that Savage’s message was anti-literalism, not anti-Christian.”

23. Artie_in_Lauderdale says

@ Rick,

I considered your distinction between “anti-literalist” and “anti-Christian.” As a hypothetical example, let’s say that there are some Christians who don’t consider the vile hate in the Bible as the literal word of God. They are still using that scripture to inform and inspire their religious practice. Until Christians renounce the anti-gay lies in the Bible and have nothing to do with them, they are guilty of spreading hate. I’m just curious, but did I inadvertently insult your relatives in… which region of the United States is it? You never did tell us which state you’re writing from.

24. Julius says

I think Savage was absolutely correct in the content of his speech. But attacking someone’s religion in the way that he did, as much as I disagree with said religion, makes no sense in an anti-bullying speech. Hypocritical.

25. Brad says

I will respect Christianists when they respect me and my civil/constitutional rights. Homophobic hate is pretty much the norm in Christianity while those who aren’t that way are a slim minority. Dan Savage was absolutely correct and GOProud needs to grow a spine and quit pandering to Christianist homophobes from whom they have no way on earth of gaining support from. I’m done playing PC games with these haters. You’ll never teach them what they are until you confront their hate.

26. Michael says

The funniest thing here though is that Dan Savage got his message wrong. Anyone who has ever taken a class in the Bible or studied it for themselves knows that the Old Testament was fulfilled in the New Testament, hence why the dietary laws are gone now.

In any case, this speech was bullying; it was an off-topic tirade against Christianity. Savage says that he is pushing back, but against whom? Did these journalists in the room attack him somehow? If a Muslim attacks us, should we punish all Muslims? Isn’t this what liberals always complain about? If so, why is it okay to apply this treatment to Christians, but not Muslims? The hypocrisy is astounding.

27. Dale says

There were no outrageous remarks made by Savage. He was telling the truth and of course, Christians of all denominations and the GOP despise the truth because it beings to light their hypocrisy. Sucks to be a hypocrite.

28. shle896shle says

I don’t understand what all the hoopla is about. To me, he was simply saying don’t take the Bible LITERALLY. Don’t cherry-pick the passages you want to hear and ignore the others. These right-wing “Christians” are revealing just how IGNORANT they are.

I suspect what really bothers them most is the fact that Savage has a better understanding of the Bible than they do. They simply don’t know enough to successfully argue their point.

Perhaps they need to actually STUDY and READ the Bible, something most of them obviously haven’t done.

29. Rick says

Thanks Artie. I’m writing from NYC…for whatever that’s worth.

I feel as if you are saying that Christians who do not read the Bible literally are nonetheless anti-gay. Which would come as a surprise to the many gay episcopalians I know.

Look, everything I’ve posted over the last two days has been en effort to expound on something Brandon wrote in his first entry oin this subject:

“While Savage might have profitably avoided the use of profanities (which, when used to describe allegedly sacred documents, tend to make believers less than receptive to whatever might come next), what he said was materially true.”

I completely agree with that statement, and only sought to flesh it out.

30. Artie_in_Lauderdale says

@ Michael,

The New Testament is riddled with the homophobic comments of the Apostle Paul, as you’re well aware, so please don’t try to be coy. As far as concentrating on Christians, rather than Muslims, that’s a practical matter, don’t you think? Muslims, a tiny minority here in the U.S., don’t represent the main opposition to LGBT rights in this country; Christians do. You’re fooling no one.

31. TJ says

Hmmm, MICHAEL, perhaps you should give that pretty little explanation of yours to the Christians who call gay people abominations and use the Old Testiment when needed as their evidence.

Perhaps judgmental Christians get called out by nasty liberals more in this country than do Muslims because there are so many of them, and so many of them claim that this is a Christian Nation, and so many claim that we should be guided by Chrisian principles through government? Just a thought.

32. Artie_in_Lauderdale says

@ Rick,

Thanks for your insightful reply. Yes, I’m well aware that major denominations that are trinitarian Christians are supportive of marriage equality (Episcopalian, Lutheran, United Church of Christ, etc). But I think there’s no harm in pushing them to further distance themselves from the particularly hateful nonsense in both Old and New Testaments concerning sexuality.

My guess about the region where you live was wrong. I’ve read your comments over the last couple years, and some have struck me as so socially conservative that I had guessed you were writing from, let’s say, some small town in Alabama. I breathed a sigh of relief when you said New York City. Cheers from Fort Lauderdale.

33. Artie_in_Lauderdale says

@ GeorgeM,

I’m reasonably sure I’m replying to the same Rick. In the context of comments he made months ago about how undesirable effeminate behavior is, he’s made mention of the difference between Christians who believe the Bible literally and those who don’t. At least, I think it’s the same Rick.

34. Marty says

Dan Savage is not a “journalist” he is an advice columnist whose main focus is sex. Nothing wrong with it, but that’s far from “journalism”.

35. Keepin' It Straight says

Why so much controversy about Savages’s savaging of the Bible?

It’s not like he said it was as relevant as a Chinese fortune cookie, or a Magic 8 ball, you know, the one where you ask it a question and rotate the ball and an answer floats up. And then if you don’t like the answer you spin it around and ask it again. He didn’t say those things. Or a ouija board, he didn’t say it was like that either.

36. Yuki says

Regardless of if it was a lie or not, Savage should NOT have used such inflammatory language. You’re not going to get people to listen to you by insulting them or their faith even if religion is a huge problem in this circumstance.

37. IonMovies says

Religion is the devil. Religious people CONSTANTLY belittle us. Belittle our gay kids. Ruin lives. Promote disdain. And we can’t respond to it…even passionately and yes, agressively? They get away with EVERYTHING, including murder and death all in the name of God but people affected by their words are not supposed to be reactionary?

Guess what? I will consistently and constantly call out religion, because it begs for it. It is filled with hypocrites who don’t correct themselves because they are too busy attempting to ruin our lives.

38. USC Trojan Fan says

Who decided that religion was so sacred that it was above criticism? No, you’re not. You chose to be religious. You were not born into it, and not a single one of your religious points have been proven to be true. Religious people have also demonstrated great angst, and yes, even hatred toward those different. Then they have the nerve to play victim? Either reword your stance, or toughen up because this new era of holding religious people accountable for their actions is a beautiful thing and will not stop anytime soon.

39. Steve-ATL says

Wait…everything Dan Savage said was true. Every single word he uttered had truth behind it. They do cherry pick. Many of them harbor lust, vanity, greed, lie on a daily basis (who doesn’t) and then claim all sin is equal but then put our percieved “sin” violently in the spotlight, and they are now martyrs? Religion is the ultimate con artist and this situation perfectly illustrates it.

You got put on blast for factual matters on things you religious institutions like Christianity are responsible for and you get might defensive, ey? Too bad, so sad. Rock on Dan!

40. starship says

Christians spew far more offensive insults, hate, and bigotry on a daily basis and now they have room to tell others to not be offensive? So typical. Hope Savage never stops.

41. says

Basically, if GOProud dislikes you, you’re doing something very, very right. If they like you, you are usually a disturbed person. So Savage automatically is okay in my book.
    Plus, everything he said was right on the money. He didn’t make anything up. Literally, all his pointers were truth to the core.

42. MJ says

Where’s the Christians calling out their own? Where’s the Christians condemning homophobia, hate, people protesting with ignorance in the name of Christianity? How come they are so quick to be offended but not at all shy of being offensive?

Are they this arrogant?

43. TJ says

I simply don’t understand all of the hand-wringers here. Talk about lack of critical thinking! Why the focus on those who left? Because Faux News will use it against us? News flash! That would have happened had Savage Posen like a Sunday School teacher. Why not focus on the students who stayed? Who may have been engaged? Who got quite the earful? Who may go home and report? Who now have a great argument to use?

Do you think that this is the only blog reporting this versus Faux News? Check out Huffpost. Check out all the supportive comments from people who actually took the time to watch the video clip.

As for the talk being inappropriate and-off topic, seriously? Talking to high school students about bullying and NOT addressing religion given that religious groups oppose anti bullying measures in schools is what would be inappropriate and off-topic.

44. Ricco says

When religion is used as an excuse to bully and intimidate, to impose one’s beliefs on others, then YES!!! you do have to attack it, and show it for the nonsense that it is, PARTICULARLY when you have southern states who are working hard to pass “Don’t Say Gay” bills, and legislation that will excuse bullying on the grounds of religious freedom.

Legislators are hard at work isolating vulnerable gay teens, making sure that they feel all alone in the world, feeling hopeless, and kill themselves. Young, beautiful kids are being attacked, bullied to death, and some of you people are worried about Dan Savage attacking the religion behind these attacks?!

Get some perspective, people.

45. J. Leo says

Dan’s speech “…fuel those on the extremist fringe who oppose gay rights.”
    Great that is exactly what it should do. it should and did show them up for the frauds that they are. It drew attention to the fact that they cherry pick the portions of the bible that they choose to believe. I can only hope that the non extremist religious people now see them for the bigoted scamers that they are.

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/2012/04/goproud-doesnt-like-dan-savage-speech.html#ixzz1tUBfOPXT

46. says

Dan Savage’s observations were spot on. If young people who aspire to be journalists are unable or unwilling to open their minds even long enough take a critical look at arguments that are not in agreement with their own current views, how could they ever hope to learn, grow or be journalists worth their salt.

47. nikko says

Amen, TODD, amen to that!
    Oh and MICHAEL, are you of the belief that barbaric, heinous punishments in the Old Testament like stoning a non-virgin woman to death was ok then, but not now since Jesus fulfilled the law, hmmm??!

48. Cassandra says

Funny, but in the transcript posted, there is no evidence of the concept of literalism. There is simply blanket generalizations about the Bible itself.

And frankly, his use of the homophobic term ‘pansy-assed’ ought to earn him a lifetime ban from GLBTQ blogs and websites.

49. Lance says

Dan did nothing wrong – more people should criticize this book that has been used to harm so many people. I love it when Christians get offended by bringing up what is in their own bible. It’s crazy!

50. Insensitivefools says

GoProud will criticize Dan Savage and you can bet your last dollar that they will endorse Mitt Romney. So who is it that is hurting the LGBT cause again? GoProud can GoProd themselves.

51. ty says

Oh, so GOProud has straights in it as well?? WTF?? No wonder they are so off base here!! Dan Savage is telling the truth about the bible, it is a deeply flawed “essay paper!!”

52. says

Dan Savage is a loose cannon, which obviously pleases a lot of radical-minded Gay people. What he, and they, forget is that when you fire on somebody with a cannon, there tend to be repercussions . . . like getting a cannon fired back at you. And unless you’ve been living under a rock your whole life and know nothing about anti-Gay sentiment, our enemies have MUCH bigger cannons than we do and they don’t need much of an excuse to target us. Provoking a fight just for the Hell of doing it (or just for publicity’s sake) isn’t smart.

53. GeorgeM says

Sometimes the truth hurts, the fight continues so be it. It’s time for the community to use harder hits. it’s time to hit religion for what it is

54. says

Dan Savage has no clue what the Bible teaches about slavery. He cannot make the distinction between prescriptive and descriptive laws, and God’s temporal and specific commands, versus general fixed ones. Why is this? Because he has no desire to learn what the Bible actually says, he just knows that the Bible condemns sex between people of the same gender, and he does not like that particular doctrine. Rather that listen to a raunchy sex columnist, why not learn from Paul Copan, Daniel B Wallace, Tom Gilson, and Crag Blomberg who are all actually knowledgeable in this area?

55. Afterburner says

Dan Savage showed typical Progressive liberal hypocrisy, what’s new? On college campuses conservative speakers are shouted down, exposing the Progressive liberal general fear of free speech. This kids knew how to respectfully and quietly show their disapproval to Danny boy, yes that day he behaved like a little spoiled bully boy, you could almost hear him thinking, ” I’m hurt so I’m going to pick on some easy target”.

56. jack says

GoProud. Are you kidding me? Where is the pride in begging the currently homophobic republican party to let you belong? They make the misguided Log Cabin types look ALMOST reasonable. PLEASE MR REPUBLICAN HOMOPHOBE LET ME INTO YOUR CLUB. IMISE NOT TO ACT LIKE A FAG.

57. jim says

“Where’s the Christians calling out their own? Where’s the Christians condemning homophobia, hate, people protesting with ignorance in the name of Christianity?”

Over at HuffPo! But not on TV…that sh*t don’t sell ads…yet.

58. CbinKY says

GoProud = Chickens voting for Colonel Sanders.

To actually defend an establishment that is ACTIVE in denying us rights is heinous.

Mr. LaSalvia should be ashamed. Respect is earned. Fundamentalist Christians using their bible as a sword makes them unworthy of any respect.

59. says

Dan Savage, or rather Keenan Houlahan, the plumbing advice columnist whose internalized homophobia led him to abandon his given name of Keenan Houlahan as too faggoty, for the masculine comic book hero moniker “Dan Savage,” has once again sought media attention, calling a gay political group “faggots” for endorsing someone not his choice for President.

In particular he called them “house faggots,” which is probably projection, given Democratic party gays’ long tradition of sucking up slights, evasions and half-measures, while bending over and spreading their wallets for politicians who otherwise ignore them.

It was kind of an odd charge though, since the group he was attacking, GOProud, is not a membership organization, and has an advisory board heavy with heterosexuals, like author Margaret Hoover and taxpayer advocate Grover Norquist. How can these people be house faggots when they aren’t even faggots?

One supposes he was aiming at the group’s director, Jimmy LaSalvia, and founder, Chris Barron, who are bonafide (as it were) homosexuals, or perhaps its staff, a uniformly delectable group of college age gay interns (I have visited their Capitol Hill office). The curiosity there is that Chris Barron did not endorse Romney, but instead is supporting Libertarian presidential candidate Governor Gary Johnson, and was indeed a Johnson delegate this May at the Libertarian Party nominating convention. Further the GOProud advisory board endorsement was not unanimous, and even the endorsement they did issue had a heavy context of “gay people are more than simply gays, they also are taxpayers who need jobs and a president who will not lie to them, hence Barack Obama fails on all counts,” and for those who are two party faithful, only one “hold your nose” or “hope he evolves” choice remains (and Romney’s history is certainly one of … evolutions).

The gay trolls who live in the leftover blogosphere are in their usual ferment. Too ugly to leave their basements for a gay bar or film festival, they sit at home all night on their PCs typing howlers in worship of their hero Keenan Houlahan. The comments at the leftoid RawStory are particularly laughable. The author manages not to know or report any of the facts I laid out (GOProud board may be mainly straights, Barron a Libertarian not supporting Romney, etc.). The insectoid readers continue on, discussing Log Cabin Republicans, which is (1) not GOProud, (2) a membership organization, and (3) has, I believe, not (yet) endorsed Romney. And of course these poor anencephalic poofters (no doubt doubly anencephalic, actually) begin barking about how white gay males who are part of the 1% identify with the ruling class, even as these leftoid pole smokers defend their master’s use of predator drones to kill gay children in Arabia, his placing of gay and lesbian Americans on his Presidential kill list, and his bailout of crony capitalists who control the Federal Reserve System. And even while gay white male Keenan Houlahan strokes these sheeple and laughs all the way to the bank and his White House dinners with their money.

Good thing so many of them will not breed.