Discrimination | Josh Hutcherson | News

Josh Hutcherson More Proud Of Gay Activism Than Acting

JoshHutchersonJosh Hutcherson is not one of those young stars who uses fame and fortune solely for partying.

The 19-year old actor, known best for The Hunger Games and The Kids Are Alright, is using his position and influence to help Straight But Not Narrow, a group of straight allies who fight for equality and acceptance. And that work has earned him a Vanguard Award from GLAAD, which Hutcherson will receive this weekend, making him the youngest recipient in the organization's history.

Speaking with E! Online reporter Marc Malkin about his work and activism, Hutcherson implicitly thanked his mother for always being an advocate. "My mom has always been a big advocate, especially in the gay, lesbian, transsexual and bisexual community so for me it's always been a part of my soul," he said.

Hutcherson also revealed to Malkin that he had two gay uncles who died from AIDS-related illness in the early-1990s: "They were in their early thirties, in great shape, but unfortunately they were taken away from us too soon. Both passed away at about the time I was born."

As for his activism, Hutcherson says it's far more laud-worthy than anything he does on the big screen. "This is what my family is most proud of and the same for me," he said. "Acting is one thing, but actually trying to change the world and the way people think to make people's lives better? That's the stuff I'm most proud of."

If only Hutcherson were gay -- and about a decade older…

Comments

1. I love this kid! It is so great to see young people doing something good with their fame! Sounds like his family is also deserving of major applause for raising their child to be something special :)

Posted by: C.J. | Apr 19, 2012 12:30:09 PM

2. AW, I love this kid!

Posted by: mike | Apr 19, 2012 12:34:43 PM

3. He is handsome, talented, ally to LGBT and adopted a rescue animal. I'm very proud to call myself a fan of this young man.

Posted by: Dave | Apr 19, 2012 12:35:27 PM

4. What a nice post... until you objectified him at the end.

Posted by: endo | Apr 19, 2012 12:37:06 PM

5. Ok, I didn't see the Hunger games (what can I say? I'm a hermit) and I tend to favor old actors that are no longer with us but...

Ths young man has earned a spot beside NPH on my favorite actors list and has made me want to go see his work. I would be happy to support any movie a big hearted young man like this is taking part in. Gay, straight, Bi, or Transgender, I would hug him until I was forced to let go. XD (my age: 22. I could totally get away with it too without it being creepy I bet.)

Posted by: Cocoa | Apr 19, 2012 12:49:11 PM

6. The cheering thing to me is that more and more "Joshes" (open-hearted and -minded) young straight men are speaking out.

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Apr 19, 2012 1:14:04 PM

7. The cheering thing to me is that more and more "Joshes" (open-hearted and -minded young straight men) are speaking out.

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Apr 19, 2012 1:15:38 PM

8. I love that little nugget. So good in The Kids Are All Right. So down to earth. So adorable. I could just put him in my pocket and carry him around all day.

Posted by: Jim | Apr 19, 2012 1:18:26 PM

9. a solid little actor, an upstanding outspoken advocate for our communities, and a proponent for adopting both shelter-animals and the misunderstood "pitbull" breeds..... LOVE THIS GUY.

oh, Peeta :D

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 19, 2012 1:30:05 PM

10. The other bloggers other than Andy Towle just can't help but inject their stupid opinions into posts.

Posted by: joest | Apr 19, 2012 1:33:27 PM

11. It seems most up-and-coming actors would be or feel discouraged to involve themselves in "big issues," so it's refreshing to see such a bright, open mind.

Posted by: Mike M. | Apr 19, 2012 1:35:03 PM

12. See... not everyone from KY is dumb and toothless!

Posted by: JNJ | Apr 19, 2012 1:41:42 PM

13. The world needs more straight people like this guy. If this is how straight people acted when I was growing up, I wouldn't hate them so very much. I love this guy in spite of the fact that he advocates for pit-bulls which are psychoticly violent animals. The breed should be outlawed and every last living pit bull should be put down. They attack their owners. They are nothing but walking time bombs just waiting to mangle the children of their unsuspecting 'masters.' nobody can train an animal prone to psychotic fits.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 19, 2012 2:03:27 PM

14. This is why I'm so hopeful about the future. Millennials like Mr. Hutcherson favor gay rights by 20 points more than older people. As one gay rights leader told me, "All we need is one good flu season."

Posted by: Hank Plante | Apr 19, 2012 2:15:20 PM

15. this kid is great and a great actor, he may even get nominated for an academy award for Hunger Games.

Posted by: tommyboy | Apr 19, 2012 2:19:47 PM

16. Team Peeta! I married a guy like him and my 12 year old daughter wants to marry him so I'm thankful there will be more straight men like him for her to choose from

Posted by: Rontex | Apr 19, 2012 2:19:50 PM

17. i thought the end of the post was cute. gives this blog a touch of personality. (though you could argue that the non-gay news items about outer space & other topics do that a little bit, too)

Posted by: redball | Apr 19, 2012 3:02:55 PM

18. Oh come on, Josh Hutcherson would find Andrew's remark at the end very funny, so why can't you?

Posted by: Gregoire | Apr 19, 2012 5:32:52 PM

19. My boyfriend looks exactly like him!!

Posted by: Kay | Apr 19, 2012 6:45:14 PM

20. The Kid Is All Right

Posted by: topsyturvy | Apr 19, 2012 6:56:09 PM

21. Objectified? Really? It was a compliment.

Posted by: MattS | Apr 19, 2012 7:20:16 PM

22. A compliment would be calling him cute. If Andrew finished his sentence, it would sound something like "... then I would sleep with him." What else could he be insinuating? It's disgusting how so many gay guys always try and make everything sexual, even a nice and entirely non-sexual story like this about a straight ally.

Posted by: Lucas | Apr 19, 2012 7:29:45 PM

23. H8Str8s...
    do we have some undelt with anger issues?
    Counseling, try it!!!
    as for your fear and ignorance based jab at pit bulls... you know less about them than you do straight people. Im straight, an accomplished Chef of 30 years and the proud AND RESPONSIBLE owner of 4 pit bulls, a great dane and an aussie/ border collie mix.
    luckily, I can report (from the responsible pit bull owning world) that the stupidity storm is showing signs of breaking... in regard to Pit Bulls.

instead of believing the crap they sell in the american mass media about pit bulls or drinking red wine or which is the best smart phone for the money... READ!!! Do some actualy research on that which you fear before passing judgement on that which you havent a clue.

watch this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrxLuKodCEE

and then read my entire website from cover to cover. www.TeamPitAFull.org.

if not, crawl back under what ever rock you receive mail out and bathe in your own ignorance.

Posted by: Team Pit-a-Full | Apr 19, 2012 7:33:31 PM

24. @team pit-a-full
    you fullfill my expectations of straight people by coming onto a gay website ("Not just gay news - gay men") and badgering me. Do you think your hatefilled diatribe is likely to get me to listen to you and change my mind about pit bulls, or do you think I'm going to walk away feeling fully justified in my hatred of straights and conclude that pit bull owners are as vicious as the breed they advocate for? Do you think I will feel indeed pit bull owners are bullies, as they are reputed to be?

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 19, 2012 8:34:23 PM

25. lucas, i actually thought andrew wouldve finished his sentence: "...then he'd be the perfect boyfriend for me."

which isnt quite as sexual as u're making it out to be. it's more like romantic (& presumably sexual a lil bit :-))

Posted by: redball | Apr 19, 2012 9:27:19 PM