Madonna | News

Madonna Gets Called on Her Cigarette Hypocrisy: VIDEO

Madge

In an interview set to air tonight on Rock Center, NBC's Harry Smith asks Madonna how she can scold her daughter Lourdes for smoking cigarettes when she smokes them in her videos.

Says Madonna, in a reply that won't likely be bought by the American Lung Association: "That's just an accessory, Harry. There's a difference."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. Good question, Harry. Stupid answer, Madonna.

Posted by: Michael W. | Apr 18, 2012 11:28:14 AM

2. She's looked pretty good recently because obviously she has high-end makeup artists.

But here she looks like an aged drag queen. That upsweep hair looks awful, as does her skin. And I'm not a Madonna hater, since I actually have a life.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 18, 2012 11:35:43 AM

3. Yes, she is being a hypocrite. End of story.

And the anti-smoking nazis need to be put on a leash. Tobacco is a LEGAL product, period. Deal with it. What's odd is these same people probably want to legalize all narcotics [which I agree with, actually], but get their panties in a bunch over cigarettes and use the excuse it's for 'The Children' to engage in their favorite past-time: anal-retentively controlling people.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 18, 2012 11:42:31 AM

4. I think people need to have something to be upset about. Smoking a cigarette now and then is not what caused the American life expectancy to drop in my grandparents and great grandparents generations. Continuous smoking of packaged cigarettes is what gave those people lung and cancer problems.

Posted by: David Hearn | Apr 18, 2012 11:44:58 AM

5. David: not quite. It's an addictive habit. for some people, "every now & then" will become every single day. regular smokers have tremendously higher risk for all sorts of cancers (i believe over 20 different types) as well as emphysema, COPD, etc., etc., etc. disgusting & sad. innaamo

Posted by: redball | Apr 18, 2012 12:01:37 PM

6. pls ignore "innaamo"...crazy typo from the encrypted Captcha thing

Posted by: redball | Apr 18, 2012 12:04:10 PM

7. Nicotine and caffeine are the two most widely used and abused substances in the US, yet I can walk away from either one. I had a cigarette yesterday for the first time in a month. They often disgust me because of the smell. But when you have enough drinks on your birthday, they're tolerable. I haven't had caffeine in probably 10 years.

Yet I've used many other substances with far worse outcomes. And the news that Madonna is a hypocrite is not really news.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 18, 2012 12:13:02 PM

8. @REDBALL,

And? Eating the crap most people eat and drink,or the 'lifestyles' most people lead [not to mention dangerous sexual practices, a whole other subject] also are 'bad' habits. Ban those also?

Life is about living and of course dying. It's about ups and downs [the downs are just as important and illuminating as the ups], and if you want a truly interesting life, risks. It's not about anal retentively controlling every 'bad' habit/thing people may engage in. People who've never taken risks tend to be very bland, even not fully formed intellectually, socially, spiritually, IMO.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 18, 2012 12:14:11 PM

9. Her daughter is 15. Therefore, she should not be smoking cigarettes because it is illegal for her to do so. When she turns 18 she is free to make her own decisions, but for now -- Mamma Madge is in the right.

Posted by: Alec | Apr 18, 2012 12:21:12 PM

10. She looks fantastic and she is absolutley right. Smoking a cigarette in a film or video is not the same as a 15 year old smoking a cigarette. People are responsible for their own actions and even if Madonna did smoke in a video, if she forbids it in her house then her daughter is held to that standard. That being said, Lola looks like a fun girl with that ciggy. Ha.

Posted by: Wendell | Apr 18, 2012 12:21:32 PM

11. Who cares if you smoke? Nobody cares if you die of lung cancer or emphysema, what we care about is you not exposing the rest of us to second-hand smoke. You can "enjoy" life by smoking, that doesn't mean the rest of us, who may enjoy life by other means (travelling, hobbies, sex, etc.), have to be affected by your habit.

Posted by: Winston | Apr 18, 2012 12:24:28 PM

12. Wow, a parent who engages in "do as I say, not as I do"? NEVER EVER heard of such a thing before.

Posted by: Glenn | Apr 18, 2012 12:34:46 PM

13. @Winston,

I get very annoyed by people blasting loud music, especially from their cars? It infringes on my [mental] health. Can we ban this too? Many people's 'lifestyle' are unhealthy. This in turn cause healthcare costs [which are heavily subsidized by the government through taxes and by private employers] to skyrocket. Can we force these people [probably the majority in the U.S. and elsewhere] to live by a specific set of approved 'healthy' standards? Many gay [and str8] people engage in dangerous [healthwise] sex, including damaging their immune systems by abusing various substances. Can we outlaw these substances and activity for the good of society as whole?

Does marijuana, hash, etc. smoke equally annoy you?

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 18, 2012 12:38:21 PM

14. The point is, using a cigarette as "an accessory" is portraying it as "acceptable" and "glamorous". She is indeed a hypocrite. There is no gray area.

Posted by: Michael W. | Apr 18, 2012 12:42:28 PM

15. I agree 100% with ratbastard's first comment.

And yes, Madonna is the mother and she makes the rules and/or dispenses the advice. "Do as I say and not as I do" is a parental privilege

Posted by: Chitown kev | Apr 18, 2012 12:50:35 PM

16. She's only partly right. There IS a difference if you are talking about her daughter, who is old enough to know better. However, there is not a difference if impressionable children are seeing her with a cigarette.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 18, 2012 12:50:39 PM

17. It's called the "tu quoque" fallacy. Being a hypocrite doesn't mean one can't give indispensable advice. If my doctor were obese and said I needed to lose a few pounds it doesn't invalidate the advice.

Posted by: mkandefer | Apr 18, 2012 12:54:19 PM

18. "I learned it from you. I learned it from watching you!", anyone?

longlivethe1980s

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 18, 2012 1:02:58 PM

19. Yes, she is making smoking look glamorous, but "acceptable" isn't what draws kids in, it's being a rebel, being bad. Unfortunately, the earlier one starts (be it cigarettes, alcohol, whatever), the more likely it is to become addicted, and the harder the addiction is to break. Nicotine causes more receptors to grow on brain cells, increasing the need to be "fed." Its pretty insideous. And extremely irresponsible for a mother to model a behavior and amp up the attractiveness by making it an accessory, which becomes a must-have if you are going to be cool, which is overly important to teenagers. Do as I say, not as I do, NEVER works.

Sure, overeating causes health problems, affecting healthcare costs. But your overeating won't make me fat. Your second-hand smoke, however, can be a different story regarding effects on my health. I need to eat to survive; one doesnt need to smoke until one becomes dependent, or addicted. Your cigarette butts not only create litter, but they release toxins into our shared environment. Sure, cigarettes are legal, and it's a free country, and we all should live with the consequences of our choices. But heart disease and cancer are pretty high prices to pay. And they can make you, and your family, suffer for years. I'd tell you to ask my father about that, but he died a fee years ago, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Posted by: TJ | Apr 18, 2012 1:14:49 PM

20. Oh, KIWI, the PSA memories.

Do as I say, not as I do, may be a parental prerogative, CHITOWN KEV; it's also bad and ineffective parenting. Never underestimate the power of what kids see versus what they are told.

Posted by: TJ | Apr 18, 2012 1:24:27 PM

21. This is a stupid "issue".

Lourdes is 15 and it's against the law for her to be smoking. Madonna could have a pack-a-day habit and still be justified in reprimanding her daughter.

If Lola had a beer in her hand in that photo rather than a cigarette, would we shout "HYPOCRITE!" at Madonna because she personally enjoys a martini here and there?

Posted by: Chaz | Apr 18, 2012 1:31:55 PM

22. @TJ,

I'm sorry if your dad died of cancer, or that he died period. The smoking and cancer part,though: One of grandfathers lived to a ripe old age, fully cognizant and reasonably healthy right up to about the last 6 mths of his life. He had no discernible smokers cough. He smoked since he was 13, eventually developed a 2 pk a day 'habit'. I'm not saying inhaling smoke is necessarily a good idea, especially if you don't exhale it, but it affects people differently.

And there's actually little scientific proof so-called second hand smoke hurts others aside from those with allergies.

Regarding the lifestyle angle, people's sedentary lifestyles and high sugar, sodium and toxic filler crap that they eat and drink has horrendous consequences for society as whole. Do we ban these also?

Finally, nicotine is not 'bad' health-wise. In fact, it has many beneficial medicinal uses. But, I'm welling to bet if something like Swedish snus were heavily promoted in the U.S., the same control freaks who howl and condemn many things, including cigarette smoking, would demonize snus also.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 18, 2012 1:35:01 PM

23. little proof abt the dangers of 2ndhand smoke? your pseudo-science is horrifying, RATBASTARD.

i just hope you aren't responsible for raising any young, impressionable minds. good lord in heaven.

Posted by: redball | Apr 18, 2012 1:42:46 PM

24. RAT - people also relate anecdotes about someone who would have died had they been wearing seatbelts; it doesn't negate the probability that wearing a seatbelt will result in positive rather than negative outcomes.

Nicotine does have useful and beneficial properties. It's just too bad that the same can't be said for the delivery system (i.e, smoking cigarettes).

Sedentary lifestyles can have societal consequences (e.g., when I get on a plane and am cheated out of the space I paid for by the overflow of avoirdupois of the person sitting next to me. But not quite the same as second-hand smoke, which at best is annoying, even nauseating, and at worst, aggravating (to those with allergies or compromised respiratory system) and even unhealthy. Fat, lazy people don't make me fat. My love of ice cream and avoidance of exercise does that. Cigarette smoke invades my life whether I want it to or not. It makes me cough. It makes me nauseous. And even after 25 years, it can make me crave (because those receptors are still around, waiting to be satisfied), especially if someone is smoking a menthol cigarette ( my former delivery system of choice).

Posted by: TJ | Apr 18, 2012 2:03:35 PM

25. No one cares about this woman anymore, hence the reason why everything she does flops, now including her new tour, which isn't selling out.

She should take the hint, and bow out graciously.

Only old gay men still like her.

She cheated for that album of her's too, which is why it bombed. The moment she stopped giving it away, it nosedived. Selling it for $5 didn't help it chart either.

She is a bitter old woman.

Posted by: Al | Apr 18, 2012 2:25:49 PM