Education | Gay Marriage | Hulk Hogan | North Carolina | Religion | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

NEWS: Mitt Romney, Questions Of Color, And A Pastor Who May Not Understand The Purpose Of A Certain Sex Toy

MittandGeorge

ROADICON Romney's message to college students: 1) Borrow startup capital from dad, 2) Don't major in English.

ROADICON Pantone's color gurus chat hue up:

“What do we say about blue?” asks David Shah, a British-born, Amsterdam-based designer who heads the meeting on behalf of Pantone, the quietly ubiquitous American company that maintains color standards for publishers, designers, and the fashion world. “Blue took so long to come back. It came back last year in a watery story, it’s here this summer in an indigo story—what are we doing about blue?”

“A good navy,” says a French woman with short blonde hair, “is going to fulfill the role that black used to fill, because black is now launching into another dimension.”

“How do we see black now?” Shah interjects. “As a dynamic color?” There is excited chatter. Black has shed its cultural baggage as a negative color. The Italians “did a big statement” about black.

233315-hulk_hogan___ripping_shirt_as_champ___copy_large ROADICON Hulk Hogan's ex retracts claim of husband's gay affair; Hulk's months-old response to allegations still classy enough to bear repeating:

It's tough because a lot of my friends in normal life, a lot of my friends in the entertainment business, and a lot of my friends in the wrestling business are gay ... Just to say something spiteful and hurtful, I don’t get it ... if it was true and I was gay, I’d embrace it, and I’d tell you guys about it and I’d celebrate it.

ROADICON Colorado State University footballers lied about involvement in fight sparked by gay slurs.

ROADICON Article about the two sides in the religious war over Amendment One in North Carolina. Weirdest paragraph:

Rev. Wooden is particularly incensed with those who equate the battle for gay rights with the struggle for civil rights. His comments on homosexuality, sometimes graphic, push the notion that gays are aberrant both culturally and physically. Who, he demands, could support a practice that forces men “to wear a diaper or a butt plug just to be able to contain their bowels?” For him, comparing gays to blacks is denigrating.

ROADICON Marriage equality has never been less of a wedge issue:

For the first time, the level of strong support for gay marriage is equal to the level of strong opposition, researchers report. In the April 4-15 survey, 22 percent of Americans say they strongly favor permitting legal marriage for gays and lesbians; an identical percentage said they strongly oppose it.

In 2008, strong opposition was twice as high as support — 30 percent vs. 14 percent.

ROADICON Senate Intelligence Committee discovers that "enhanced interrogation" doesn't work.

ROADICON Study suggests analytical thought undermines religious belief:

The subjects of the study were given problem-solving tasks, shown a picture of Rodin’s sculpture “The Thinker,” and presented with a final questionnaires printed in a hard-to-read font.

The questionnaire, which asked them to what extent they agreed with statements such as “I believe in God” or “I don’t really spend much time thinking about my religious beliefs,” revealed a diminished level of belief compared to control subjects who had been given non-analytical tasks to complete.

Psychologists have long believed that humans rely on two different cognitive systems, one “intuitive” and the other “analytical,” and previous research has pointed to a link between intuitive thinking and religious belief.

“Our findings suggest that activating the ‘analytic’ cognitive system in the brain can undermine the ‘intuitive’ support for religious belief, at least temporarily,” study co-author Ara Norenzayan explained.

ROADICON A "Stones-mad couple" opens world's first Rolling Stones museum.

ROADICON "PlanIT Valley," one vision of the modern city, under construction in Portugal:

Slated for completion in 2015, PlanIT Valley won’t be a mere “smart city” — it will be a sentient city, with 100 million sensors embedded throughout, running on the same technology that’s in the Formula One cars, each sensor sending a stream of data through the city’s trademarked Urban Operating System (UOS), which will run the city with minimal human intervention.

“We saw an opportunity … to go create something that was starting with a blank sheet,” said PlanIT Valley creator Steve Lewis, “thinking from a systems-wide process in the same way we would think about computing technologies.”

ROADICON The headline overstates the case a bit, but nevertheless: An extra-terrestrial world capable of supporting life might look very much like Gliese 667Cc. Awesome.

Comments

1. I am very confused by this post. What is this supposed to be about that liberals only see color in people and that because I am a gay man, liberals hate me because the guy I dated last year was a black man and I'm a white guy?

Look, liberals. I am not sure what your hang up is with the color of one's skin, but I don't see color in people.

Shame on you liberals who judge me because I'm a white man who has dated black men.

SHAME. SHAME ON your pantone colors.

Posted by: Alan | Apr 28, 2012 9:58:14 PM

2. It is true you guys. Don't major in English. I am sure you are very smart but chances are you language skills won't pay the bills.

Posted by: Tonez | Apr 28, 2012 10:20:02 PM

3. Some follow sports, I anticipate the Pantone Color of the Year each year. I like watching the color infiltrate interiors, clothing and products. 2008's Blue Iris was a rich, Van Gogh. '09's Mimosa was a bold statement in strong yellow, although I did paint a bathroom that color before the color was announced, so I felt trendy. '10's Turquoise to me was a retread. 11's Honeysuckle was heavy pink, but to me the, wrong pink. This year 2012 Tangerine Tango is a red orange. The color was a bold move, a genuine color of the year. It's not that Pantone tells me what colors to use, their colors become a marker for a time period or decade. And yes, navy blue is the new neutral. To me, it does matter what color "it" is.

Posted by: Edward | Apr 28, 2012 11:54:15 PM

4. alan what have you been smoking tonight?

The pantone color thing is about the color of fabrics decided on by a fabric company

FABRICS!!!!!!!!!!! so put down whatever you indulged in tonight, or pass some this way :-P But re-read the article

Posted by: say what | Apr 29, 2012 12:12:24 AM

5. Romney was hot. But we all know Obama is "cool"

Posted by: Edward | Apr 29, 2012 12:16:26 AM

6. Wooden, gays are human

Posted by: rick scatorum | Apr 29, 2012 6:12:37 AM

7. The point of the romney post isn't that English is a great major for your future or that he was hot, but that most of us can't borrow start up money from our millionaire dads

Posted by: rick scatorum | Apr 29, 2012 6:15:47 AM

8. Alan, you're not well. Seek help.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Apr 29, 2012 7:47:32 AM

9. The psychologist's study of the intuitive and analytic parts of the human brain could just as easily be applied to non-religious dogma, including political and various 'causes'. I read many posts on here and elsewhere that ridicule others for their bizarre religious beliefs, but at the same time these posters engage in rhetoric that comes straight out of the intuitive or sentimental/emotional part of the brain.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 29, 2012 8:27:27 AM

10. Romney's comments are amusingly out of touch with the 'average' person. I'd like to hear him and others like him condemn the massive level of government 'pork' that hugely benefits the 'private sector'. I'd like to see a level of serious reform in our tax code and legal system that would reduce the need for expensive middlemen [and women] like lawyers and accountants. Not going to happen. They'll tell you it it would hurt the economy. America now seems to be primarily a nation of middlemen and middlewomen parasitically feeding off The System.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 29, 2012 8:32:09 AM

11. Rev. Wooden demands, who could support a practice that forces men “to wear a diaper or a butt plug just to be able to contain their bowels?”

His comments do have me wondering about the older straight couples in Depends commercials. Are those sweet couples wearing diapers as a result of years and years of rough-and-tumble butt sex? Oh, grandma, have you been getting it back there? And grandpa, has granny been using a strap-on on you?

Where (or with whom) did the Rev do his research?

Posted by: Mitch | Apr 29, 2012 10:19:49 AM

12. Color me surprised. I always thought I knew why I left the Catholic church. Turns out, it was getting that math PhD and not getting called "faggot" everyday in Catholic school or reading that one of the Fathers of the Church wrote that homosexual orientation is a curse from God that implies damnation.

Posted by: Frank | Apr 29, 2012 12:12:32 PM

13. Umm, I "only" have an English major and make quite a bit of money as a writer and editor. Don't generalize. I only have to work 4 days a month to pay my mortgage and other bills. In San Francisco. On a very expensive place. And I work a lot more than that.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 29, 2012 1:12:16 PM

14. Rev. Wooden's misunderstanding is in line with the absolute obession that haters have with anal messiness. They all seem to think that gay men do nothing but poke around in feces. They describe in lurid detail at length the imagined ooziness and stench and nastiness.Some talk about ingesting feces as if it were a fudgesicle treat.
    I'm not a fan of Freudian ways, but it seems to me that if gay men are stuck at the oral level of development, a huge number of supposedly hetero haters have never advanced beyond the anal stage. They love to talk about playing with their poop even if they don't actually do it.

Posted by: gregory brown | Apr 30, 2012 10:25:46 AM