Glee

Bill O'Reilly Says 'Glee' Will Cause Kids to Experiment with Being Transgender and Gay: VIDEO

Oreilly

On last night's O'Reilly Factor, Bill O'Reilly and Gretchen Carlson sounded the right-wing alarms over a new transgender character on Glee, asserting that the show will compel kids to "experiment" with being transgender and gay, Equality Matters reports.

Glee_transO'Reilly also compared homosexuality to smoking in the offensive segment.

Said O'Reilly: "If you make the behavior of these people ... if children hear it, unsupervised children, okay who don’t have parents watching their -- they might go out and experiment with this stuff...When I was a teenager and I saw James Dean smoking, it made me want to smoke...a lot of these dopey kids are confused about who they are. They’re confused."

Added Carlson: "I wholeheartedly believe, in today’s society, that kids are experimenting with homosexuality. We see it in celebrities who maybe just do it on the side, and it may be drug-fueled...I totally agree with Bill that this causes kids to experiment. And if we didn’t– why do we have any rules in society then if we don’t try and set some parameters for our children to live their lives? I just think that this is way over the top."

Judge Jeannine Piro was there to offer a disgusted and dissenting voice, thankfully.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. In other words...turn the channel OFF OF FOX as soon as possible and never watch it again! Got it.

Posted by: Jacques Rosas | Apr 20, 2012 12:56:38 PM

2. O'Reilly seems to get a pass in these quarters and elsewhere as the guy on Fox that is "not so bad." This clip is proof that this claim is on thin ice. Why the hysteria with "experimenting" with being gay or transgender? If you're not gay or transgender, then "experimenting" with it will have no effect. In fact, it's hard to imagine someone "experimenting" with being gay or transgender if they don't already have a sense that they might be these things. Oh, Fox News... the place where reality and logic have never visited.

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Apr 20, 2012 1:04:27 PM

3. These morons think being gay or transgender is something that is spread like the flu.

AND...straight men have no problem with girls experimenting with homosexuality...as long as they get to watch.

Posted by: QJ201 | Apr 20, 2012 1:06:36 PM

4. I'd be worried about young children watching Fox News and experimenting with an abandonment of cognitive skills and the capacity to think critically and empathize.

This is not news, and *this* - Faux News Bobbleheads regurgitating baseless bigoted right-wing nonsense - aint news either. It's sadly and pathetically typical.

Now, there will be insecure people with no faces or spines on this very site who will agree with O'Reilly - they're wrong, too.

Y'know, I got a call from my mum yesterday talking about how wonderful school kids have been - she does workshops with GSAs, students and teachers, across Ontario about how to make for a safe school environment. She said this, "you know, those kids in the GSAs...they're the best kids."

And she's right.

Every day it seem more and more likely that if someone gave the Fox News Headquarters the Hiroshima treatment then the USA and the rest of the world would be a better place. I'm not saying I want it to happen, because I don't, but it sure would put an end to this culture of B.S. where people take bigoted opinions and sell them as News.

Paddy Chayefsky must be rolling in his grave.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 20, 2012 1:07:44 PM

5. Screw Bill. He's a nut job. If it really worked that way, wouldn't all NON LGBT focused programming be pressuring LGBT kids to experiment with being straight? OOH the TV makes being straight look cool and glamorous so I want to try it! They tried that for decades. It doesn't work.

Uniq was fabulous... and how would that number have worked without the dress and heels? Boogie Shoes was infinitely improved the way it went down.

Posted by: fanboi | Apr 20, 2012 1:07:44 PM

6. Uh, please don't hate me, but I totally agree with him... but I think that's a GOOD thing.

I think when you're at that age, you do experiment. Hell, Sherilyn Fenn in TWIN PEAKS made me experiment with heterosexuality in high school.

And I think GLEE (and other shows we have on television) show that lifestyles other than heterosexuality, it begins to normalize and take the stigma out. (I firmly believe it is the next generation growing up and the generation after that will help bring about full equality).

Bill says GLEE "makes it glamorous" and "encourage experimenting." I... yeah. I agree with that. GLEE makes it look glamorous and fabulous. It's the reason GLAAD and other organizations have showered it with awards for acceptance.

Gretchen Carlson in this interview isn't event worth discussing.

I don't disagree with what he says, however I think we call all disagree with the tone in which he says it and the implications behind it.

Posted by: Chad | Apr 20, 2012 1:08:19 PM

7. That show is not watched by enough americans to actually change a damn thing.

Posted by: Raulitos | Apr 20, 2012 1:09:07 PM

8. I was upset because she decided to come out in a hick town, and everything was rosey. It sends the wrong message to kids and may cause more suffering when people come out in hostile places.
    I think the heartless gay community are using kids as pawns in the fight for equality, and they don't care how many might be hurt.
    It's disgraceful but nothing new. They still haven't stopped the spread of hiv after 30 years. Why? Because they could care less about each other, just as they don't care about school kids.

Posted by: Wilberforce | Apr 20, 2012 1:11:32 PM

9. Heh.

1) You shouldn't be letting YOUR 8 year old watch Glee. Not the target demographic.

2) Alex's performance was easily the best of the episode.

3) They come up with those stories because there are few other places where they are displayed to the masses.

4) Bill O'Reilly and that blonde woman make me sick to my stomach.

5) Fox silenced the person that was right as usual. Judge Jeannie owned their asses.

Posted by: Steve | Apr 20, 2012 1:13:23 PM

10. Watching Bill O'Reilly risks encouraging young people to experiment sexually with idiocy and loofah (or as brainiac Bill likes to call them, falafel).

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 20, 2012 1:14:31 PM

11. It is a shame O'Liely isn't smart enough to be embarrassed by what he says.

Posted by: candideinncc | Apr 20, 2012 1:14:49 PM

12. This is performance art. They are a satire of themselves. This is more funny than hurtful to us. This makes them into fools in the eyes of everyone not already confirmed in these opinions.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 20, 2012 1:25:23 PM

13. funny thing is - the only side-effect of "experimentation" that Glee will have on non-LGBT kids is that they might very well experiment with the love and acceptance of diversity that they're not being taught in the home.....

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 20, 2012 1:26:28 PM

14. He's right, you guys. Slushie hurling has become epidemic in high school hallways since this show premiered.

Posted by: endo | Apr 20, 2012 1:30:46 PM

15. Well, for once I agree with you, RyaninSacto and Chad.

I am all for experimentation--everybody should be free to try every kind of sexual activity to find just the right "blend" for themselves, free of stigmatization.

If someone tries something and really doesn't like it, then they just are not going to do it any more. Or they might like it just a little and want to do it occasionally, but not often. Or they might like it only with certain individuals to whom they feel a special attachment, but not with anyone else.

Of course, you realize that granting people such freedom is eventually going to result in the de-construction of the "gay"/"straight" paradigm that some of you cherish so much......and will also result in the demise of the "gay" culture of effeminacy, as the majority of males engaging in same-sex activity will have normal masculine demeanors and values and will begin to swamp by shear numbers the number who idolize and live vicariously through women.

Yes, the more freedom, the better. Yes, indeed.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 20, 2012 1:30:52 PM

16. On the other hand, I understand O'Reilly's fear about Glee. Because whenever I watch him on Fux news, despite being acutely attracted to men, I immediately want to experiment with sexually harassing my female assistant, having inappropriate peronal relationships with female subordinates, then paying the objects of my improper advances off with large settlements in exchange for their silence. Happens every time I see him.

Posted by: Bill O'Really? | Apr 20, 2012 1:37:57 PM

17. Thank you Jeannine!!! Can anyone explain to me why I don't want to be blonde, stupid and a loud-mouthed bitc...h???
    I mean, I watch Fox, see these "so called women" looking like that, and I have no interest in experimenting with their appearance, behavior or non-existent sex lives. Yet, there they are...today's role models???? Que...vomit!

Posted by: PAUL B. | Apr 20, 2012 1:47:13 PM

18. the good news - as long as 'femme-haters' like Rick never have the balls to actually Live Out Loud (and make no mistake, they DON'T. no confident secure gay men take issue, at all, with how masc or fem or perceived of either other gay males are. it's strictly the domain of the Insecure Closeted Homosexual Male), the culture of femme-fear will eventually die with them in their closets.

YAY!

nope. femmes aint going nowhere. neither are, uh, "mascs" (?)

what is gonna die off are the legions of self-loathing homosexual men who spew their anger at "stereotypical gays" from the closets they live in. they're gonna die in those closets, and take their self-loathing with them. the rest of the population? they're gonna embrace diversity, and it's a brave new real cool world.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 20, 2012 1:48:02 PM

19. What's wrong with experimenting? I experimented being straight when i was younger. I still turned out gay.

Posted by: Nate | Apr 20, 2012 1:48:25 PM

20. Again Fox News making a problem out of nothing to rile up and spread fear to their susceptible audience. It's an entertainment channel listed as news any surprise. My grandfather enjoys watching this channel purely because they cater to him. Now I'll probably get asked if i watch Glee because as usual O'Reilly has no idea what he is talking about, but somehow get's to create his own credibility.

Posted by: Redebbm | Apr 20, 2012 1:50:21 PM

21. Time for Bill 'O to go back to where he honed his journalistic credentials- "A Current Affair"-

Posted by: Nick | Apr 20, 2012 1:54:12 PM

22. Uhh these people are total creeps. I wish people would take no notice of their nonsense.

Posted by: DanSwon | Apr 20, 2012 1:55:18 PM

23. Fox News is nothing but a propaganda channel posing as "news" but really aimed at brainwashing Americans into taking on extremist views. Goebbels would have loved it. It is full of preachers of hate and O'Reilly is their high priest.

Posted by: Tom Stoppard | Apr 20, 2012 1:57:39 PM

24. Experimenting with loofahs is perfectly fine, however.

Posted by: Xopher | Apr 20, 2012 1:59:26 PM

25. The sad thing is what a hypocrite and liar he is. He gave an interview to Out magazine about 10 years ago where he said he had no problems with gay people and has gay relatives. Disgusting turn of face.

Also, how many people experiment with being transgender? Aside from maybe Halloween or occasional drag? Yes, some people experiment with gay, but that's usually just a drunken test. If you "experiment" more than a couple times, the writing's on the wall, baby.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 20, 2012 2:01:19 PM