Mormon | Religion | Video

BigGayDeal.com

Straight Mormons Say It Gets Better: VIDEO

LDSItGetsBetter

Today in Washington DC, LGBT Mormons and their allies gathering at the Circling The Wagons Conference will witness the premier of this video by Kendall Knox -- the same Kendall Knox who last month produced an It Gets Better video featuring gay Mormons at Brigham Young University.

This vid, too, is part of the It Gets Better series. It, too, features Mormons. Only these are straightfolk -- het Mormons who maybe once disliked or feared the LGBT community, but were turned around after a friend or family member came out. They're still devoutly religious, and they express their love of the LGBT community in explicitly Mormon terms. It's an odd thing to see. It's also very moving.

Watch AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. Mormons desperately trying to control the monster they created is funny.

And now those pigs are trying to hijack the it gets better campaign. Ugh.

Posted by: Jasun | Apr 21, 2012 12:51:09 PM

2. its going to take me LONG time to figure out what to make of this.. it smacks of sincerity and is far less condescending than most missives from the LDS ranks. i knew that a small portion of the less political LDS members felt that the church had gone too far, and that there were better uses for the money and time being spent to block gay civil progress. has that bloc reached a turning point? have the many too many mormon young men who have left the church and family or even worse taken their own lives in despair finally been heard. it would seem in some quarters it has.

i will await the continuing actions of the church proper and particularly of its elders whose edicts are inviolable before i come down on any side of this, but i thought i should offer it up to you with the above caveat.

Posted by: bandanajack | Apr 21, 2012 1:24:07 PM

3. Yadda yadda but you can't act on your gayness ever but we still love you yadda

Fukc them

Posted by: Michael | Apr 21, 2012 1:31:59 PM

4. I am sure there is real sincerity behind these PSA's . . . but what would go much further with me is if these gay loving Mormons would distance themselves from their cult.

It's bad enough dealing with the haters who call themselves Christian's but to deal with haters from a totally make believe religion that is a clone of the 2,000 year old religion is hard to take.

If Catholics and Mormons want to make a difference then they would stop fueling their respective hate machines, whose leaders are pedophiles on the one hand, and thugs on the other.

Posted by: Ricco | Apr 21, 2012 1:34:13 PM

5. Weird, I knew one of those guys.

The first guy can't bring himself to say his son is gay (same sex attraction?).

The first woman talks about her gay son being perfect in the past tense - "he was such a perfect child" - apparently not perfect anymore.

At least they're trying.

Posted by: Craig | Apr 21, 2012 1:40:52 PM

6. As someone who requested and received his name be stricken from the church records, I find it hard to imagine a Mormon world where the LGBT member is not viewed as abominations, deviants, sinners, etc. That being said, I can truly see the sincerity with which these individuals voiced their beliefs, concerns, and hopes. I also applaud the courage it takes to go against the church hierarchy as well as the LDS community as a whole to participate in this video. Considering the vast numbers of LDS/LGBT teens who are ostracized by their families and are now living on the streets, I can only hope that it makes a lasting impact on all those concerned.

p.s. I also find JASUN's comment ignorant and uncalled for.

Posted by: Brian M | Apr 21, 2012 1:53:33 PM

7. I fell in love with a charming countrified Mormon missionary when I was 19 and joined the LDS church largely because of him (what a story!), then went to BYU where I established a life-long friendship with author Carol Lynn Pearson who's magnificent book No More Goodbyes: Circling the Wagons Around Our Gay Loved Ones (source of the name for this conference) chronicles the sad story of official Mormon oppression of its gay members. She has made a huge difference and this video will no doubt extend such efforts to reach ever more people. Mormons, and the church heirarchy know they have a problem and many are attempting to address it compassionately.

It doesn't matter that many think their religious point of view is total nutbaggery. Those, in my opinion, who think anyone was ever born of a virgin, walked on water, atones for anyone else, or, for that matter, believes that this universe is an accident is equivalently deluded. The video speaks for itself enabling those who can see that lovely loving people exist everywhere and that their expanding hearts are slowly pushing out and past the bigots and ideologues.

I have long since left the Mormons but never the many good people their religion includes.

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 21, 2012 1:58:46 PM

8. You people criticizing those
    in this video are so out of bounds it is preposterous. These are people speaking out publicly and supportively in face of their homophobic religion. I for one applaud them and think they are going to push the Mormons into future on this issue. Try not to be such unpleasant cynical people. You'll be happier.

Posted by: Michael | Apr 21, 2012 2:26:57 PM

9. from the inside out

Posted by: mike | Apr 21, 2012 2:37:23 PM

10. You all are such cynical homos.

Posted by: Michael | Apr 21, 2012 2:47:27 PM

11. I don't doubt the sincerity of the individuals featured in this video. But they are dupes of the LDS Church. The high production values of the video (except for the horrible music) show that it has been professionally done, probably in Provo at the BYU campus or in Salt Lake City. It is part of the Mormon pr campaign to make Romney seem palatable. Of course, at the same time they produce this video, they are spending millions to deprive gay people of equal rights. It will get better for these kids and their parents when they leave the Mormon cult. What I regret is the highjacking of the It Gets Better project by bigots.

Posted by: Jay | Apr 21, 2012 3:19:32 PM

12. When straight people say "It gets better," what I hear is them telling me, "Get over it."

And when the first guy says his son has "Same Sex Attraction," YOU KNOW that it's Mormon code for a disease that they need to pray about. "If you or a loved one has SSA, there *is* hope. Ask your bishop if therapy is right for you."

Posted by: george | Apr 21, 2012 3:36:54 PM

13. This may be sincere or may just be a well thought out malicious ploy to appear mainstream and help Romney in November.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Apr 21, 2012 3:47:48 PM

14. The church seems to be opening up more to gay person's being in loving relationships with the same gender. This has nothing to do with Romney. The video was made by a gay Mormon producer who is probably a democrat. Gay Mormon's are just speaking out more and people are listening. The ultra conservative have too much of a voice in the Mormon church. We want to hear more from Mormon's who are for gay marriage.

Posted by: James | Apr 21, 2012 4:10:29 PM

15. Meanwhile, radical Muslims are hanging gay men or setting them on fire and burning them alive.

Thank you, Christians. Thank you for this video.

And thank you liberals, for your fake outrage, believing Christians will wreck and destroy your life in America while Palestinian gays are struggling to stay alive.

Posted by: Alan | Apr 21, 2012 4:11:12 PM

16. please don't bring anti-muslim animus here (no one is defending religious extremists, so i'm not quite sure why you (alan) bring this up).

please also recognize that this video is good. this is very good. i am happy these people are speaking lovingly about their family members and friends. they're speaking from the heart: no scripts, no nothing, this is straight from the heart, and therefore, yes, imperfect to some extent. i'll take sincerity and imperfection over perfected faux-ness anytime.

Posted by: daftpunkydavid | Apr 21, 2012 4:35:52 PM

17. wow this video is very good. i just... i'm not mormon, but this video really spoke to me. thank you to whoever made it. i do hope it helps today's mormons, young and old, in and out of the closet.

Posted by: daftpunkydavid | Apr 21, 2012 4:41:36 PM

18. Fifth generation survivor of this cult. My family was on the third handcart party to cross the plains. My great great great grandfather was 2nd counselor to Brigham Young on the council of 12. Believe me when I tell you this video is official LDS propganda. My nephew works in the church film (propoganda)office. He's confirmed that this, and the other so called BYU "It Get's Better" are officially church sanctioned pieces. Trust me when I tell that it DOES get better....Just as soon as yoou escape the clutches of these cultists. Truely evil people.These are all part of an effort to normalize the otherwise freaky Willard Romnet campaign.....

Posted by: Hdtex | Apr 21, 2012 5:15:28 PM

19. It's so moving to see the traditionally disenfranchised coming together to do anything in their power to get one of their own elected president.

It's truly heartwarming.

Posted by: Marc C | Apr 21, 2012 5:20:28 PM

20. READ THE COMMENTS BY HDTEX, JAY, GEORGE, MICHAEL, JASUN -- whether you like it or not, they tell the truth.
    Current mormon doctrine is
    "Let's be polite to those afflicted, but, of course, they are NEVER going to be accepted in the church, nor in most families, if they do not change"

I am surprised that Dan Savage is not disavowing this professionally produced
    UTTER PROPANGANA

Posted by: Bob | Apr 21, 2012 5:36:18 PM

21. For those of you lemmings, so willing to get whiplash accepting a video, A SINGLE VIDEO, as progressive movement within the LDS community, I politely suggest you to find some value in yourself before it's too late.

Can the Mormons adapt and change progressively? Sure! But a single video isn't proof of change taking place. Let's not place blinders on to what is really taking place. You do so at your own peril.

Posted by: Marc C | Apr 21, 2012 5:36:19 PM

22. @Marc C
    ...Can the Mormons adapt and change progressively? Sure!
    NO, IT REQUIRES A REVELATION FROM GOD TO ALLOW GAYS TO MARRY, and they certainly will never allow unmarried sex.

..But a single video isn't proof of change taking place. Let's not place blinders on to what is really taking place. You do so at your own peril.
    ACTUALLY, THERE IS A CHANGE among some of the members, so the mormon makes a vid like this in order to help the members feel better -- I think that is the purpose

ONLY FOOLISH GAYS THINK THIS MEANS THE MORMON MACHINE WILL GET OFF THEIR BACK SOON

Posted by: Bob | Apr 21, 2012 5:43:47 PM

23. The number of gays desperately hiding in the mormon community probably greatly exceeds the number of gay-friendly mormons.

Good on these people for speaking out and trying to make a difference... but I still have a very rational hatred for the members of an organization that put up millions of dollars to erase some of my civil rights.

Posted by: jexer | Apr 21, 2012 5:53:15 PM

24. I have little doubt that the Mormons will one day embrace gay people as full members. After all, what is the basis of Mormon theology: the family. And what are we but part of families?

But don't mistake my prediction for support for the religion. At its base, it's an us-vs-them religion. The fact that "us" now includes blacks (sort of) and other racial groups and that women and gays will eventually be "revealed" to be fully equal humans beings, there will still be "them". Always.

Posted by: BobN | Apr 21, 2012 6:13:07 PM

25. HDTEX - shocking to read your comments. I will check this out insofa as I can. The production values are extraordinarily high (complex) and now give me pause, otherwise I am totally gullible and believe in the sincerity of this video. Now it is chilling to think that there is cynical intent behind it.

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 21, 2012 6:17:42 PM