Anna Paquin | News | True Blood

Anna Paquin: 'Being Bisexual Is Actually A Thing.'

AnnaPaquinBiTrue Blood actress Anna Paquin caused a stir in 2010 when she came out as bisexual, and two years later the topic continues to fascinate. Well, it fascinated a Zooey magazine journalist who broached the subject during a recent chat with the 29-year old.

"I’m sure for some people saying they’re bisexual feels less scary than making a statement that they’re gay," Paquin, currently married to co-star Stephen Moyer, said about her sexuality.

"For me, it’s not really an issue because I’m someone who believes being bisexual is actually a thing. It’s not made up. It’s not a lack of decision. It’s not being greedy or numerous other ignorant things I’ve heard at this point."

Paquin went on: "For a bisexual, it’s not about gender. That’s not the deciding factor for who they’re attracted to."

I would say that Paquin's advocacy on this topic is just as important as campaigning for same-sex equality. She's totally right: a lot of people dismiss bisexuality as a cop-out for people afraid to admit their they're gay. Paquin proves that, yes, actual bisexual people exist, and naysayers need to get over it.

Comments

1. Your last paragraph is mind-bogglingly stupid (even ignoring the their/they're confusion, and the construction of that particular sentence generally). Andy, stop letting this guy editorialize. The site is at its best when you let the news speak for itself. For some reason, this guy NEVER allows that, injecting banal, vapid commentary at the end of everything he posts. It really degrades the quality of the site.

Posted by: Wow | May 3, 2012 11:57:57 AM

2. @WOW, I came here to post an almost identical comment with the same sentiment. I know almost immediately when Belonsky has posted something here because I am rolling my eyes or looking at my screen with a 'WTF face' before I make it to the end.

Pro tip to Belonsky: if you're writing in the first person, you're doing it wrong.

Posted by: Bastian | May 3, 2012 12:05:03 PM

3. 'I would say that Paquin's advocacy on this topic is just as important as campaigning for same-sex equality.'

Thanks for the recognition, but do we really need to say 'bisexuals rights are totally kind of like gay people rights'?

I'd say that bisexual advocacy is exactly the same as advocacy for same-sex equality, and I really don't understand why 'allies' (gay allies especially) have trouble comprehending this in 2012.

Posted by: RJ | May 3, 2012 12:07:06 PM

4. @Bastian - the grammar errors are usually a pretty big tip-off, too.

Belonsky - you reported the story in the first four paragraphs. Why the last paragraph? Do you actually believe all of the stuff you inject at the end of your posts? Do you even think about it? Also, what is "same-sex equality?" Is that a thing? At least proofread the crap you post.

Andy - I've loved your site for many many years, but every time you let this guy take over, the quality plummets.

Posted by: Wow | May 3, 2012 12:20:53 PM

5. I like Belonsky's comments. I think he's right. A blog isn't hard journalism, so no, writing in the first person isn't "doing it wrong."

Posted by: BenR | May 3, 2012 12:22:30 PM

6. @BENR You're right about one thing - Belonsky's posts are definitely not "hard journalism."

Posted by: Wow | May 3, 2012 12:28:03 PM

7. @BERN Offending bisexuals is 'doing it wrong'.

Posted by: RJ | May 3, 2012 12:30:02 PM

8. Raise your hand if you've ever met a girl who tells you she's bisexual and you believed her. (Let's assume that many hands go up.)

Raise your hand if you've ever met a guy who tells you he's bisexual and you believed him.

...crickets chirping?

I believe that the B in LGBTQ actually is a thing, as Paquin states, but that said, it appears to be a thing that's way more common in women than in men. For men, the evidence suggests sexuality is akin to a switch. For women, it's more like a continuum.

Posted by: scottevill | May 3, 2012 12:35:19 PM

9. As far as the Belonsky-bashing. Jeez, you guys, calm down. I don't necessarily disagree with the subtance but there's a way to be a person, you know? If you take issue with the guy's style, fine, but maybe send Andy an email about it rather than sliming him publicly?

Posted by: scottevill | May 3, 2012 12:39:37 PM

10. Bisexuality is a really COMMON thing. A great many people are secretly bisexual and/or they mistakenly believe they are are heterosexual because they still believe in the old "everyone has an occasional same-sex attraction" idea.

Posted by: MDK | May 3, 2012 12:48:39 PM

11. If it was that common in men, you'd think there would be more anecdotal evidence of it. You hear about men stepping out on women to hook up with men all the time but I have personally never heard about a man stepping out on his boyfriend to hook up with a woman.

As far as bisexual thoughts go, well that's hard to measure. We can't quantify what's in someone's heart. Actions, on the other hand...

Posted by: Scottevill | May 3, 2012 12:59:03 PM

12. @Scottevill -- Uh no. Open, noncloseted bisexuality may be more common in women than men. But that's not the same thing. There's no way to tell how many bisexuals are out there.

Anna is right...it is a real thing. The sad thing is many bisexuals are less likely to come out as full-bi. Especially the men. And it's for two reasons---homophobia from straights and overly-critical gays who brush them off.

As someone who has dated some wonderful bisexual guys in the past, I truly believe they are what they are. One even sat up late one night in bed telling me what he liked to do with females and was completely sincerely and honest about it. And I encouraged him to be open about it too. That's the way it should be.

Posted by: RaleighRob | May 3, 2012 12:59:45 PM

13. @Scott - "I believe that being gay is actually a thing, but that said, it appears to be a thing that's way more common in women than men. For men, the evidence suggests sexuality is akin to a switch. For women, it's a continuum"

That's no less offensive when applied to gays than when it's applied to bisexuals.

Posted by: RJ | May 3, 2012 1:02:18 PM

14. Also @Scott - A gay man telling people that 'since no one talks about bisexuality, it doesn't exist' is baffling. Nearest I could tell, the vast majority of the gay plight over the last few centuries has revolved around having to exist in secrecy, with the whole of the world refusing to acknowledge that they exist.

Can you understand why a bisexual might be incredulous to your response?

Posted by: RJ | May 3, 2012 1:09:29 PM

15. The social constraints on men to be straight are so strict that the only people who are going to pubicly disavow them are going to be men who are really, really gay. The punishment for being a little bit gay is too severe -- why risk it? Then we have gay men who, resentful of those who won't come out like them, create the same type of enforced sexual binary. You can't be occasionally attracted to members of the same-sex. It's a social feedback loop, not "they way it is."

Posted by: Bisexual Man | May 3, 2012 1:15:18 PM

16. Good grief, people. If you're all such superior writers and copy editors, then send Andy your résumé and clips or shut the f--- up.

By the way, it's been my experience that people often only cry "editorializing" when the viewpoint offered differs from their own.

Posted by: Brian | May 3, 2012 1:17:43 PM

17. I love her and i love her sexy ass husband even more.I can't wait for season 5 of truebood!

Posted by: Miguel | May 3, 2012 1:53:47 PM

18. @Brian - No. I will neither be silent nor accommodating when my sexual identity is condescendingly as 'maybe equal' to gays. No, I will not be silent because you told me to do so, and you're ridiculous in telling me to do so.

Perhaps it's my own typecasting, but I really did assume that those who self-identified as 'gay' would be better self-conscious of treating people like that.

Posted by: RJ | May 3, 2012 2:59:02 PM

19. Maybe bisexuality is prevalent in the right wing. That's why they think gay men and women have a "choice".

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | May 3, 2012 3:12:22 PM

20. I totally agree with the comments about the dropping in quality when Belonski takes over for Andy. I don't want to be mean, and a blog is not really the same as a newspaper, but I think that Andy has always strived to keep the tone even and journalistic, and whenever Mr. B takes the reins all that goes out the window.

I took can feel that it's not an Andy post before I even get to the end and see the name.

Posted by: nando6990 | May 3, 2012 3:14:35 PM

21. @Brian, Since you've insinuated otherwise, I'll be clear: I don't have a negative opinion about bisexuality. If someone says or believes that they are bisexual, why should I doubt them?

Why bother to bring up the 'editorializing'? This site is normally well edited and a joy to read. As NANDO pointed out, that all goes out the window when certain bloggers take over. Andy obviously care a lot about this website. Why not let him know when we think he can do better?

Posted by: Bastian | May 3, 2012 3:56:58 PM

22. It's irrelevant how common bisexuality is. A bisexual person is someone who has hetero- and homosexual attractions and acts on them. That's the behaviour. A genuinely bisexual person already has rights for half of their inclinations. The other half - the homosexual part - is just that: homosexual. I campaign for gay rights, not bisexual rights, and they should be campaigning for gay rights along with the rest of us.

Posted by: Sean | May 3, 2012 4:00:07 PM

23. It's laughable to put gay men or women in the same category as bisexuals and pretend that their rights are equally important. They are not. Bisexuals are not discriminated against-they are not beaten to pulps and told they're perverted. Besides they can get married whenver they want. For some reason (hence the 'B' in LGBT) they think that there issues are the same as gays and lesbians. They are not.

Posted by: Molc | May 3, 2012 4:09:53 PM

24. The news that bisexuality exists is not new.

Posted by: Paul R | May 3, 2012 4:22:46 PM

25. Mamma always told me, before I speak to ask myself three questions with respect to what I'm about to say, and if I answer no to any one, then to button it: 1) Is it true? 2) Is it necessary? 3) Is it kind?

In a similar vein, I think declawing cats is rather sadistic. People? Not so much.

Posted by: Jeff | May 3, 2012 4:40:44 PM