Comments

1. Alan says

James Buchanan was the first gay president. He was actually gay, not fake gay like Obama, who only uses the gay community like a cash cow, then hiding us in the barn when he thinks we might offend the neighbors.

2. Mic says

Alan the Troll; kep on working that Goper LCR troll thing.

When you’re done you should shuffle off to Disneyland. They might have a job for you as one of Snow Whites Dwarves: i bet you’d fill the shoes of that Republican loving dwarf, Clueless.

3. Caliban says

“This is a religion so stupid Tom Cruise wouldn’t join it. But Glenn Beck did.”

LOVE it. I had to go back and check to make sure, but Maher is wrong about one thing. It was Willard “Mitt” Romney’s GREAT-grandfather, not his grandfather, who had 5 wives in Mexico. I’m not making that correction as a defense of Romney, who I detest, but because the Right tends to turn that sort of inaccuracy around so the story becomes how you’re picking on them.

4. Ted B. (Charging Rhino) says

How many wives did Pres. Obama’s great-grandfather have in Kenya? …or in Indonesia? How is that relevant to either presumptive-candidate??

5. Caliban says

Ted B, Obama isn’t the one making the case for marriage being an unchanged institution “between one man and one woman,” now is he? No, it’s Mitt Romney doing that, despite the fact that it isn’t even true in his own family just a few generations back.

It’s the hypocrisy of it that’s offensive.

6. says

I read Andrew Sullivan’s piece. I think dude has his head up his ass, as usual. It was one of the most weirdest editorials I’ve ever read, both sycophantic and racist at the same time. Sullivan’s notion of what it means to be bi-cultural is straight out of Bizarro World.

7. Derrick from Philly says

“Ted B, Obama isn’t the one making the case for marriage being an unchanged institution “between one man and one woman,” now is he?”

“James Buchanan was the first gay president. He was actually gay, not fake gay like Obama”

Are you saying that James Buchanan was aware of and part of the homo and trans subcultures that existence in urban areas back during his time? If not, then he wasn’t Gay. He had a homosexual sexual orientation but he wasn’t what would now be called Gay.

The homosexual men who lived as “normal men” were not part of what would later become “Gay”. The Drag Queens of 19th Century New York, New Orleans, London, Paris…Timbuktu were.

Although, I imagine there were a few brave guys like Walt Whitman who didn’t hide in the closet as “normal”….well, sometimes he didn’t.

8. Yuki says

I’ll be honest: I didn’t watch the video… but I still really dislike the idea that Obama’s the first gay president. He’s not. He’s supportive of gay rights. That’s it.

9. says

Maher is funny, especially the one about Mormon dogma. But he doesn’t understand why Obama is the first gay Pres? Let me ‘splain it.
    Time or Newsweek or whatever is in cahoots with conservative Sullivan, and they are ginning up the gay wedge issue for the election, as the media have been doing for thirty years. It was obvious from the second the words were out of Biden’s mouth. But as mainstream media himself, Maher is paid not to mention this.