2012 Election | Barack Obama | Bill Maher | Video

BigGayDeal.com

Bill Maher On Hating Obama: VIDEO

Maherrage

Last night on Real Time, Bill Maher asked the most vexing question of the American political season: Why do so many conservatives think Obama's such a dangerous radical stalimaoinazi?

Said Maher:

[Obama] didn't go on a spending spree. He didn't break up the too-big-to-fail banks. They've only gotten bigger. And fail-ier. That's not what liberals wanted. That's what conservatives wanted.

At the 2008 convention, Sarah Palin chanted "drill baby drill!" Under Obama, there's more drilling than ever. That's not what environmentalists wanted. That's what conservatives wanted.

Obama spent most of last year conceding the Republican premise that government needed cutting. That's not what progressives wanted. That's what the Tea Party wanted.

The Dow was at 7949 when he took office. Now it's 12000 and over, and corporate profits are at their highest ever. If he's a socialist, he's a lousy one. He could not be less threatening if he was walking home with ice tea and Skittles.

So the question remains. How could you guys be so unhappy with Obama while I'm so unhappy with Obama? You think you got coal in your stocking? I wanted single payer health care, a carbon emissions bill, gun control and legalized pot. If you get to carry around all this outrage over me getting that sh*t, shouldn't I have gotten it?

So just admit it. This isn't about what Obama is. it's about what you need him to be. Because hating him is what gets you up in the morning.

Watch AFTER THE JUMP ...

(H/T: Mediaite)

Comments

1. Once again Maher nails it. I couldn't agree more, especially about Nugent's threat being a "win-win"!

Posted by: Bob R | May 26, 2012 12:07:58 PM

2. They hate him because he's black and deep down they're racists. It's pretty obvious, really.

Posted by: Graphicjack | May 26, 2012 12:11:28 PM

3. there are a number of (pathetic) factors, and a biggie is simply the sad case of Identity Politics in America; dem VS repub identity, it's hard to give up, and people have a strange "pride" in...well...being born into a Republican family, more so than a democratic one...it's odd.
    i have republicans in my family, michigan republicans. at a recent family even my aunt was angrily talking about Obama (and this is a woman that loved, and LOVES, G.W. Bush); her claim that Obama is "a Socialist" - which pissed me off for a few reasons.
    1. he's not a Socialist
    2. I'M a socialist. i'd know if Obama was. Obama isn't liberal enough to be a socialist.

But when I asked my aunt which policies of his led her to think he's a Socialist she clammed right up. And that's the heart of the anti-Obama side; a chosen opinion devoid of rational basis for existing. He's black, he's a democrat, his name sounds foreign - it's enough to rile up anger in the very same folks who years ago participated in a boycott against The Dixie Chicks due to their (HAHA!) "un-Patriotic Un-American stance on the President!"

or something

Obama gave a tax break, and millions of angry white conservatives took to the streets over the "tax raise" that they were convinced the Black President instigated....which didn't happen.

what's the problem? Millions of bigots who are Republicans first, and Americans second. And on the same note, they're "white bigoted christians" first and decent intelligent human beings LAST.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 26, 2012 12:13:13 PM

4. GraphicJack .. I have to disagree. I don't think their racism is deep down at all. As a matter of fact, I believe is just below the surface.

Posted by: theotherlee | May 26, 2012 12:19:29 PM

5. @Theotherlee - LOL... sorry, I didn't mean "deep down" in terms of "far beneath the surface", I meant "deep down" as in "when all is said and done" or "basically/fundementally". In other words, we agree that no matter what Obama does or doesn't do, to those on the far right, he's a demon because of no other reason than he's black and they will never accept him for it.

Posted by: GraphicJack | May 26, 2012 12:33:51 PM

6. @Graphic, and then one of them will say "No! he's HALF WHITE, so it's NOT RACISM!" which, as every intelligent mind understands, only proves you right.

you ask you average obama hater why they hate him and you get evasive non-specific buzz-terms. you ask 'em why they love their GOP clows, Palin Santorum Romney et al, and you get a "positive" version of the same thing - no citations of policy or actual work, just flowery ways of saying "I like that they're white, like me, and love jeebus and hate arab gay abortion weddings"

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 26, 2012 12:46:18 PM

7. Could it be that President Obama continued the assault on civil liberties?

Posted by: Juan | May 26, 2012 12:56:34 PM

8. Ah, yes. They are Republicans first, Americans second, and decent beings last.

Preach it, Brother KIWI! Good to see you here, with ever-true hammer to nails.

Posted by: TJ | May 26, 2012 1:00:56 PM

9. @ Kiwi...I find that I don't even have to post my opinion...just "ditto" yours...thank you! At the root of all of it...racism. Can you imagine that an "uppity black" is now at the helm...and he's educated & "articulate"...oh my! That kills them, esp the ones with barely a youngins command of "amerikan"...witness NC residents in the news lately. If they don't hate him cause he's black they hate him cause the can't understand him...and deep down they know they should...with that GED they just purchased. How frustrating for them....yuck, yuck!

Posted by: Paul B. | May 26, 2012 1:23:19 PM

10. The answer is simple. Dogma is highly resistant to rational thought.

Posted by: Diogenes | May 26, 2012 1:24:49 PM

11. @Juan...a hannity talking point if ever there was one.He would have said "the annointed one" while you actually referred to him by name...brush up on your hannityisms. Is it within your capacity to speak in two or more sentences or does the talking point approach not allow for elaboration. Silly question!

Posted by: Paul B. | May 26, 2012 1:33:47 PM

12. I agree with Kiwi in that Obama is not a Socialist. But I also agree with Juan - it is about civil liberties too.

The federal government is now in effect a king that can wage war as it pleases. This should bother all socialists. One of the central tenets of socialism is the belief in national self determination as a core principle upon which democracy is established. The US has shrugged off this principle and decided it can run the world. Foreign policy is a mess to the extent where the Canadian government, for example, no longer defends the rights of the citizens of Canada but colludes with the US against people like the child-soldier Omar Khadr and Maher Arar. Khadr was tortured into a confession and the Canadian Supreme Court ruled that the government of Canada violated the charter by interrogating him and handing the evidence to Khadr's prosecutors. Maher Arar was an innocent man tortured by the CIA for 10 months in Syria. The United States has tortured Canadian citizens - no due process. And of course there is no self-determination of a state if a government, such as the US or Canada, does not represent the people.

There is a very long list of policies undertaken by the White House that make Obama someone that I could not vote for. However, his stance on gay marriage is a brilliant marketing ploy. No, the economy isn't his fault. Tearing up the Constitution and creating a terrorist empire is a reason to find fault.

Posted by: screech | May 26, 2012 1:37:31 PM

13. They hate him because he appeared to be the man who would reverse four decades of our march to the right and restore America's focus on progress.

They still hate him because they think his second term will reveal the "true Obama".

Posted by: BobN | May 26, 2012 1:38:08 PM

14. Juan, if Republicans cared about civil liberties, I could agree with you.

Posted by: Huntington | May 26, 2012 1:42:56 PM

15. @Paul B, Why does everything have to be a left vs right issue? The belief that one set of ideology has the solutions to the problems this country face is absurd. President Obama extended the patriot act, Signed NDAA and countless measures. Both the Republican and Democratic party sold this country to the highest bidder. And to blindly follow "elected leaders" is extremely sad.
    Just look at the people who fund the major presidential candidates campaigns.

Posted by: Juan | May 26, 2012 1:46:17 PM

16. republicans DON'T care about civil liberties. they pretend to, then they erode them.

the reason the GOP focuses on things like gays and abortion so much is that if they don't, or can't any more, they'll be forced to actually talk about their fiscal policies, in which case their millions of supporters will realize that they've been voting against their own best interests for years.

every time a politician promotes anti-gay sentiment they're actually telling their constituents "i think you people are stupid and i'm using your stupidity to make you vote against your own best interests by creating a false spectre of GAY THREAT"

conservatives talk about social issues that don't actually negatively affect the lives of their supporters because they can't talk honestly about their fiscal plans. fact.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 26, 2012 1:50:19 PM

17. @Juan...so, what's your suggestion? He's working in a disfunctional environment and doing the best he can. If you're going to suggest Ron Paul...save it. It's not that I don't understand his perspective but that it's not of this world. Maybe in my hippie-dippie days I would have voted for him but the years I've put on have taught me the world is not a perfect place...even if we want it to be.

Posted by: Paul B. | May 26, 2012 1:58:57 PM

18. Well I agree with what you say about the GOP. But democrats seem to play into the same nonsense. They would rather talk about anything except foreign policy and economy; and those issues are strikingly similar across party platforms. That's what makes tea party/occupy movements unique. America is having this secondary discussion while the parties pander to idiots.

Why should I care about gay marriage more than disappearing at the hands of the CIA? Doesn't it concern you that Canada hands people over to the US? And it isn't just terrorists. Mark Emery is in a US federal prison, for example.

It's not all about gay marriage. We ought to push for it because equality under the law is important. So are civil liberties. And again, you're right in saying that republicans don't address fiscal issues, but no one seems to. Obama certainly isn't reminding people about the economy and the policies that created it. BUT WHAT ABOUT CIVIL LIBERTIES? Libertarians, a large portion of the youth base in the GOP, are concerned with civil liberties issues and would not erode them. I would give more credit to the younger generation of republicans that don't see being gay as an issue.

Posted by: screech | May 26, 2012 2:13:14 PM

19. Doing the best he can? So by "fixing" the problem he accepts money from the very same people who are responsible from the economic turmoil? And also has several members as advisors in his administration from Companies such JP Morgan, Citi and Chase?
    Who had to be bailed out? Come on.

Posted by: Juan | May 26, 2012 2:19:30 PM

20. I didn't even think it was a question as to why they hate him. Even though the majority are smart enough not to say so publically, the very idea of a Black man and his Black family sleeping in the family quarters, and not the servants quarters, of the WHITE House is more than many Americans can stand. They wouldn't appreciate their son or daughter dating or marrying a member of another race so the idea of the President and C in C being a educated Black man is more than they can accept. Look at the delagates to the GOP convention, many are not more than a generation away from the segregation era and probably had parents who were strongly opposed to desegragation.

Posted by: Swiminbuff | May 26, 2012 2:23:31 PM

21. Slight Edit.

"Elect us. We're lame, but the other guys are EVIL".

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | May 26, 2012 2:28:43 PM

22. @Bobn: One can only hope that's true.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | May 26, 2012 2:32:36 PM

23. @Juan...it's very easy to complain about
    "what is"...I think we call that "bitching".
    It's another thing to suggest a viable alternative...that's sound you hear is me throwing bait out to you. So, don't take money from banks, hollywood, special interests...ie, the gays. What have you got for me Juan, besides bitchin? I don't waste my vote on anyone who can't win...even if I like him or her. I value my opinion and vote my opinion with some compromise if necessary. BUT...I won't throw it away on Gary Johnson, Ron Paul, Rue Paul, Prince or Lady GAGA. Suggest something better I can vote for, not just vote against. I don't have time for that.

Posted by: Paul B. | May 26, 2012 2:33:34 PM

24. Someone like Maher only comes around maybe once a generation - if that often. Someone who can cut through the crap and tell the truth. What is even more incredible is that he has an audience. I just wish that more people would listen.

Posted by: carl | May 26, 2012 2:52:19 PM

25. @PaulB

Nationalize the banks. Lenin was right about that but over-simplistic in his assessment of capital and private enterprise. The banks control the economy and have been bankrupting the West since the mid-eighties. If you control the banks, you control the economy.

Government has the right to create currency.

Posted by: screech | May 26, 2012 2:52:42 PM