Dharun Ravi | New Jersey | News | Tyler Clementi

Dharun Ravi Apologizes, Says He'll Begin Jail Term Despite Appeal

Dharun Ravi today apologized for his actions in the case surrounding Tyler Clementi's suicide, in a statement released by his attorney.

D_raviSaid Ravi in the statement:

"Last Monday, I was sentenced to 3 years probation, 300 hours of community service, a fine of more than $10,000.00, and 30 days in jail. Since the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office appealed that sentence, the sentence does not have to start until the appeal is decided. Nevertheless, I decided to accept and hopefully complete the sentence as soon as possible. It's the only way I can go on with my life.

I accept responsibility for and regret my thoughtless, insensitive, immature, stupid and childish choices that I made on September 19, 2010 and September 21, 2010. My behavior and actions, which at no time were motivated by hate, bigotry, prejudice or desire to hurt, humiliate or embarrass anyone, were nonetheless the wrong choices and decisions. I apologize to everyone affected by those choices. I am surrendering myself to the Middlesex County Correctional Facility on Thursday, May 31, 2012, to start my 30-day period of imprisonment."

NBC News adds: "Ravi's lawyers have said they expect to appeal the convictions entirely. They say that he was not hateful and that authorities charged him with such serious crimes because of Clementi's suicide even though he was not charged with the 18-year-old's death."

Comments

1. 30 days sentence and his lawyers are appealing. :D

Posted by: Malaysian Ho | May 29, 2012 7:57:29 PM

2. Next time you chip a nail, don't forget to cut off your arm.

Posted by: Cliff | May 29, 2012 8:03:39 PM

3. Hmmm. I'll wait until Dharun actually shows some semblance of remorse and takes accountability for his actions out of his OWN mouth and his OWN words before taking this manufactured apology letter seriously.

Posted by: Francis | May 29, 2012 8:11:12 PM

4. Who is this guy kidding?

At no time did he have a "desire...to embarras"?

Yeah, right.

Posted by: solice | May 29, 2012 8:12:11 PM

5. What Francis said.

Posted by: MrRoboto | May 29, 2012 8:12:59 PM

6. Interesting that he doesn't mention Tyler Clementi by name.

Posted by: David R. | May 29, 2012 8:13:24 PM

7. Oh please. Some people wanted an apology, and now the one given is not good enough? He's maintaining his innocence on the bias charges. So the apology has to be a little legalistic. Further, he can even rightly claim he was not biased, because he was not convicted of that. Remember folks, he was convicted of acting in a way that a reasonable victim could PERCEIVE as bias. Not at all the same thing.

I for one will be appreciative of his apology, appropriately delivered through a spokesperson, and of his acceptance of his rather light sentence.

Posted by: Zlick | May 29, 2012 8:28:26 PM

8. No it's not good enough. "A day late and a dollar short" doesn't begin to describe this PRESS RELEASE.

He hasn't so much as BEGUN to be sorry.

But never ear -- he will be.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 29, 2012 8:36:09 PM

9. EMPTY

Posted by: CB | May 29, 2012 8:41:21 PM

10. It's all a nice example of lawyerly boilerplate, paid for by his parents and probably signed with a certain amount of resigned reluctance. hearing the words from his mouth at trial or before trial would have some meaning.

I am glad the sentence isn't the vengeance that too many of us said we wanted. It's not enough to satisfy anybody, though. Maybe he'll go to India voluntarily and start a new life.

Posted by: gregory brown | May 29, 2012 8:41:50 PM

11. This guy showed ZERO emotion or remorse during the whole trial for the victim's family or what he did. They should have just had a robot deliver that apology through a vocoder. It would have sounded more real to me.

Posted by: anthony | May 29, 2012 8:48:53 PM

12. hate or not he did have the desire to hurt, humiliate and embarrass Tyler. Jerk can't even give a decent apology.

Posted by: qj201 | May 29, 2012 8:55:34 PM

13. An excellent point I've seen raised elsewhere: his sentence would have been much, much harsher if he had done this to a straight woman.

Posted by: Eric | May 29, 2012 8:58:48 PM

14. History has shown, through tragedy something good will come from it. He'll live with this for the rest of his life, and that's a burden he should always carry.

Maybe, as he begins his community service, the reality of what he did will come through, thus becoming the advocate for gays and lesbians who are bullied.

But I guess I have to believe he has some remorse, some sadness for what happened to Tyler, even if it does not come through in this "legal" apology.

It's sad someone had to die, but in death, hope can grow. Hope.

Posted by: David | May 29, 2012 9:08:21 PM

15. Zlick beat me to it, but now that he's delivered a formal apology, for some commentators it won't be enough until he publicly rends his garments or perhaps bursts into tears on Ellen. Nothing he can say or do is going to undo what happened at Rutgers, or whether that is what actually led to a suicide, so this is hopefully a good beginning.

Also, I'm amazed that some commentators where in the room when the legal team was writing the letter, and are so confident that Ravi had nothing to do with it. Amazing! Any other insights you'd like to share about the apology process?

Its generally sound legal advice not to issue a formal apology during a trial in case its construed as an admission of guilt (as if you didn't do anything, why are you apologizing?).

Posted by: Clif3012 | May 29, 2012 9:16:09 PM

16. cyber-invasions inside, we're still expecting Ravi to be criminally punished for doing....what america's leading political conservatives do on a daily basis, to a more hateful degree, in order to win votes and gain money and power.

it's disgusting.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 29, 2012 9:20:44 PM

17. He will never be able to go on with his life in America. As soon as his time and sentence are served he should pack his bags and trot right back to India where he belongs. If he stays here he will always be looking over his shoulder and will never feel comfortable.

Posted by: OS2Guy | May 29, 2012 9:32:19 PM

18. Good luck to the Clementis and MB. Dharun Ravi: if your press release is genuine, it's a small step forward for you.

Posted by: cgd | May 29, 2012 10:13:05 PM

19. I wonder how Tyler would have responded to this apology if it had come before his tragic suicide. I don't know. It is too late. I hope this ias a question Ravi asks himself the rest of his life. It deserves an answer.

Posted by: candideinnc | May 29, 2012 10:19:08 PM

20. http://fablog.ehrensteinland.com/2012/05/29/fait-diver-a-sincere-apology/

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 29, 2012 10:35:15 PM

21. Come on David , what did that kid do to you ? Can't you hate the Bachmanns , Romneys, Santorums and NOM spokespeople of the world , they are the people who are causing real harm and still get invited to talk shows.

Posted by: aki | May 29, 2012 10:58:06 PM

22. In 2010, after he realized he was in trouble with the residential advisor in his dorm, Dharun Ravi quickly texted Clementi a bogus apology, which lied about the nature of his attempt to stage a second viewing party. He was trying to create a record to cover his ass and avoid punishment from the university.

This "apology" is the same thing. How do we know he is lying? Because he asserts that his actions "at no time were motivated by [a] desire to hurt, humiliate or embarrass anyone." That is obviously a lie. If it wasn't humiliating and embarrassing, there would have been no point in setting up a viewing party. They weren't going to tune in because they were turned on by Clementi and MB.

I am sure that the pathetic excuse for a human being known as Ari Waldman will think that this lawyer-drafted apology is more than enough and that we should all just "move on." Screw him and screw Ravi.

Posted by: Bill | May 29, 2012 11:30:14 PM

23. And I do believe that he never meant to hurt or humiliate anyone, I see an immature 18 year old entering a new life stage trying to make himself appear cooler than he is and in the process completely bypassing his brain.

Posted by: aki | May 29, 2012 11:42:07 PM

24. Reminds me of the no exec who wanted "my life back", while the dozen men on the oil platform died

He could care less about tyler or his actions, other than it screwed up his life, he just wants to get his jail time over with

Posted by: rick scatorum | May 30, 2012 2:33:04 AM

25. Why would you start a jail sentence any earlier than you had to unless you were pretty sure that the appeal is doomed to fail and that you'd been condemned by many people?

Posted by: Paul R | May 30, 2012 3:33:05 AM