Dharun Ravi Apologizes, Says He’ll Begin Jail Term Despite Appeal

Dharun Ravi today apologized for his actions in the case surrounding Tyler Clementi's suicide, in a statement released by his attorney.

D_raviSaid Ravi in the statement:

"Last Monday, I was sentenced to 3 years probation, 300 hours of community service, a fine of more than $10,000.00, and 30 days in jail. Since the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office appealed that sentence, the sentence does not have to start until the appeal is decided. Nevertheless, I decided to accept and hopefully complete the sentence as soon as possible. It's the only way I can go on with my life.

I accept responsibility for and regret my thoughtless, insensitive, immature, stupid and childish choices that I made on September 19, 2010 and September 21, 2010. My behavior and actions, which at no time were motivated by hate, bigotry, prejudice or desire to hurt, humiliate or embarrass anyone, were nonetheless the wrong choices and decisions. I apologize to everyone affected by those choices. I am surrendering myself to the Middlesex County Correctional Facility on Thursday, May 31, 2012, to start my 30-day period of imprisonment."

NBC News adds: "Ravi's lawyers have said they expect to appeal the convictions entirely. They say that he was not hateful and that authorities charged him with such serious crimes because of Clementi's suicide even though he was not charged with the 18-year-old's death."

Comments

1. Francis says

Hmmm. I’ll wait until Dharun actually shows some semblance of remorse and takes accountability for his actions out of his OWN mouth and his OWN words before taking this manufactured apology letter seriously.

2. Zlick says

Oh please. Some people wanted an apology, and now the one given is not good enough? He’s maintaining his innocence on the bias charges. So the apology has to be a little legalistic. Further, he can even rightly claim he was not biased, because he was not convicted of that. Remember folks, he was convicted of acting in a way that a reasonable victim could PERCEIVE as bias. Not at all the same thing.

I for one will be appreciative of his apology, appropriately delivered through a spokesperson, and of his acceptance of his rather light sentence.

3. gregory brown says

It’s all a nice example of lawyerly boilerplate, paid for by his parents and probably signed with a certain amount of resigned reluctance. hearing the words from his mouth at trial or before trial would have some meaning.

I am glad the sentence isn’t the vengeance that too many of us said we wanted. It’s not enough to satisfy anybody, though. Maybe he’ll go to India voluntarily and start a new life.

4. anthony says

This guy showed ZERO emotion or remorse during the whole trial for the victim’s family or what he did. They should have just had a robot deliver that apology through a vocoder. It would have sounded more real to me.

5. David says

History has shown, through tragedy something good will come from it. He’ll live with this for the rest of his life, and that’s a burden he should always carry.

Maybe, as he begins his community service, the reality of what he did will come through, thus becoming the advocate for gays and lesbians who are bullied.

But I guess I have to believe he has some remorse, some sadness for what happened to Tyler, even if it does not come through in this “legal” apology.

It’s sad someone had to die, but in death, hope can grow. Hope.

6. Clif3012 says

Zlick beat me to it, but now that he’s delivered a formal apology, for some commentators it won’t be enough until he publicly rends his garments or perhaps bursts into tears on Ellen. Nothing he can say or do is going to undo what happened at Rutgers, or whether that is what actually led to a suicide, so this is hopefully a good beginning.

Also, I’m amazed that some commentators where in the room when the legal team was writing the letter, and are so confident that Ravi had nothing to do with it. Amazing! Any other insights you’d like to share about the apology process?

Its generally sound legal advice not to issue a formal apology during a trial in case its construed as an admission of guilt (as if you didn’t do anything, why are you apologizing?).

7. says

cyber-invasions inside, we’re still expecting Ravi to be criminally punished for doing….what america’s leading political conservatives do on a daily basis, to a more hateful degree, in order to win votes and gain money and power.

it’s disgusting.

8. says

He will never be able to go on with his life in America. As soon as his time and sentence are served he should pack his bags and trot right back to India where he belongs. If he stays here he will always be looking over his shoulder and will never feel comfortable.

9. candideinnc says

I wonder how Tyler would have responded to this apology if it had come before his tragic suicide. I don’t know. It is too late. I hope this ias a question Ravi asks himself the rest of his life. It deserves an answer.

10. aki says

Come on David , what did that kid do to you ? Can’t you hate the Bachmanns , Romneys, Santorums and NOM spokespeople of the world , they are the people who are causing real harm and still get invited to talk shows.

11. Bill says

In 2010, after he realized he was in trouble with the residential advisor in his dorm, Dharun Ravi quickly texted Clementi a bogus apology, which lied about the nature of his attempt to stage a second viewing party. He was trying to create a record to cover his ass and avoid punishment from the university.

This “apology” is the same thing. How do we know he is lying? Because he asserts that his actions “at no time were motivated by [a] desire to hurt, humiliate or embarrass anyone.” That is obviously a lie. If it wasn’t humiliating and embarrassing, there would have been no point in setting up a viewing party. They weren’t going to tune in because they were turned on by Clementi and MB.

I am sure that the pathetic excuse for a human being known as Ari Waldman will think that this lawyer-drafted apology is more than enough and that we should all just “move on.” Screw him and screw Ravi.

12. aki says

And I do believe that he never meant to hurt or humiliate anyone, I see an immature 18 year old entering a new life stage trying to make himself appear cooler than he is and in the process completely bypassing his brain.

13. rick scatorum says

Reminds me of the no exec who wanted “my life back”, while the dozen men on the oil platform died

He could care less about tyler or his actions, other than it screwed up his life, he just wants to get his jail time over with

14. Paul R says

Why would you start a jail sentence any earlier than you had to unless you were pretty sure that the appeal is doomed to fail and that you’d been condemned by many people?

15. says

Bill gets it.

@ Aki: If what this “kid” (ie. fully-formed adult trolling for sympathy) did doesn’t enrage you then we really have nothing further to discuss.

What was needed was justice. We didn’t get it. Therefore —

I

WANT

VEGEANCE!!!!!!

And if you had so much as an ounce of self-respect so would you.

16. says

Yes he should be punished. What he did was criminal and shameful.
    But while he goe to jail Bybee, the Counsel who approved of torture for Cheney becomes a judge; Yoo, the author of the paper that allows/encourages torture gets a lecturing post at Stanford.These are real hard criminals.
    The people who destroyed evidence of torture rapes lest they be used in a criminal investigation are still free.
    Who are we kidding ?

17. DannyEastVillage says

I’d like to give him the benefit of the doubt and credit him with feeling, in his heart of hearts, that he has serious culpability and has gotten off easy despite the advice of counsel of the indifference of his mother and father to what happened to Tyler. We have reason to believe his mother and father are lousy people–but regardless of the apology (or what have you) this kind of life-event can place Dharun on the road to no longer being the lousy person his family raised him to be. I pray that it has.

18. Henry Holland says

“I

WANT

VEGEANCE!!!!!!”

Oh stop it, you ludicrous old dinosaur. This isn’t some campy C-movie that’s being shown on MST3K that you’d champion because it’s soooooo transgressive, unless you go and off Ravi yourself, you’re just another blowhard Internet tough guy.

19. aki says

@David

Yes , I do see a kid (18 is not that old )
    that was simply not thinking at all. And as a former 18 year old with a tendency to not think things through I give him the benefit of a doubt .

20. MammaBear says

Just popped in to see:

1. How nasty David Ehrenstein would be?

A. Quite

2. Whether or not he’d be able to make this about himself?

A. Yep

3. Would he include a link to himself?

A. You betcha

21. Michael Rutledge says

I accept his taking of responsibility for his crimes and his apology. I think, even if it seems insincere to others, that he didn’t issue a fake apology we’re so accustomed to getting (“If I offended anyone, I’m sorry.)

Here he takes responsibility for his crimes and has apologized twice. Neither time did he issue the classic “fake apology”.

He also showed that he takes what he says seriously. He didn’t want the plea deal because he’d have to state he was biased against gays. He does not feel he is. (Whether he truly is or not is a different discussion.)

I didn’t like the sentence and thought it far too light. I was for deportation as well. But now that he is voluntarily going to jail to serve that part of his sentence and his taking of responsibility for the crimes he was charged with, I’m fine with him not being deported.

Is he sincere? I can’t be sure. But he is at least acting like a man should by taking responsibility for his actions, even if we’d like him to do more.

I’m willing to take his statements at face value and move on. He has to live with what he has done the rest of his life. It’s not going to be easy. He’ll pay a price. Maybe we think it should be more, but now I can be a little more at ease with the light sentence. There is no such thing as perfect justice. It just doesn’t exist. This will have to suffice.

22. gregory brown says

I suppose I have to admit to being biased by appearances.

Just as Bob VanderPlop and Maggie G always appear here and in most unfriendly sites with the least appealing pictures, D. Ravi almost always appears in photos that accentuate features that can be interpreted as representing a smug, arrogant and unappealing man. It has been there from the start, with his high school grad photo and continues.

On the other hand, even the photos illustrating the story in non-gay oriented sites seem to show the same things to me.

So maybe the images are accurate, whatever the source.

23. Triple Axel says

I find most appalling about this well drafted apology was that he did not specifically and personally apologized to the Clementi family. And by not doing so, I don’t accept this dribble he and his legal team has tossed out to the public.

24. aki says

I get why he’s not metioning the Clementis . He was not charges with anything in connection to Tylers suicide so apologizing to them might be interpreted as having just admitted to being responsible for it . The person he needed to apologize to is dead so the only thing he can do now is offer a general apology to people who might also feel victimized through his action.

25. didee says

I think Ravi is gay. I think he was curious about Clementi because he wanted to learn what he didn’t know: how to meet and greet a man.

It will be very difficult for him to come out, but I think we will see that day.

Sad sad story… and yes, he should serve more than 30 days.

26. says

“This isn’t some campy C-movie that’s being shown on MST3K”

You mean it’s NOT “Manos: The Hands of Fate”? Could have fooled me.

“Vengeance is not justice , an eye for an eye makes the world blind thing ? Ever heard of that.”

Ever heard of “If thine eye offend thee pluck it out”?

“Yes , I do see a kid (18 is not that old )”

Get thee to an optomitrist.

“that was simply not thinking at all.”

He was thinking PLENTY. You obviously haven’t followed the case.

” And as a former 18 year old with a tendency to not think things through I give him the benefit of a doubt .”

You do that little thing, KAPO.