Billy Graham | Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | Gay Marriage | News | North Carolina

Evangelist Billy Graham Speaks Out in Support of NC 'Amendment 1', Takes Out Ad in 14 Papers

Evangelist Billy Graham is speaking out in support of North Carolina's Amendment One, WXII reports:

GrahamThe 93-year-old Graham has a full-page advertisement scheduled to run in 14 state newspapers. From his home in Montreat, Graham said, "Watching the moral decline of our country causes me great concern. I believe the home and marriage is the foundation of our society and must be protected."

Voters will take to the polls on "Amendment One" on May 8, though early voting has already started.

"At 93, I never thought we would have to debate the definition of marriage," Graham says in the advertisement. "The Bible is clear -- God's definition of marriage is between a man and a woman. I want to urge my fellow North Carolinians to vote for the marriage amendment on Tuesday, May 8. God bless you as you vote."

Amendment One would constitutionally prohibit legal recognition of any union other than marriage between a man and a woman, including same-sex civil unions and domestic partnerships.

If you are interested in helping in the last push to defeat Amendment One, click HERE.

Comments

1. the constitution is clear, we are not a theocracy.

Posted by: mld | May 2, 2012 7:37:59 PM

2. Old Billy is going to get quite a surprise when he shows up at the pearly gates and sees the big NoH8 sign on the door. By the looks of him, it should be any day now.

Posted by: Terry | May 2, 2012 7:45:20 PM

3. As if we needed further proof that evil lives forever.

Posted by: Sean | May 2, 2012 7:46:33 PM

4. Kind of makes me wish there really was an after-life, just so he and all his ilk would get what they deserve.

Posted by: K in VA | May 2, 2012 7:52:13 PM

5. I always thought Daddy Graham was better than his hate-filled kids. I guess I was wrong.

I hereby take back every word I have ever typed or uttered that was in in any way a defense of Graham Sr's character. He is as vile as any of them.

Posted by: Tone | May 2, 2012 7:56:43 PM

6. He's not dead yet? He is a walking ghost.

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | May 2, 2012 7:58:37 PM

7. He's looking more and more like the evil preacher man from the Poltergeist sequel.

Posted by: William | May 2, 2012 7:58:54 PM

8. The bible is clear? Oh give it a rest.

Posted by: Kevine | May 2, 2012 7:59:23 PM

9. I'm praying for god to take Billy next week. Let's see if prayers work.

Posted by: sparks | May 2, 2012 8:02:18 PM

10. Senile old fool.

Posted by: Xopher | May 2, 2012 8:09:20 PM

11. For those of you who haven't seen it already, here is a great video of Betty Bowers explaining what the Bible actually has to say about marriage:
    According to the Bible, there's all kinds of marriage -- EXCEPT maybe between one man and one woman. So there.

Posted by: kit | May 2, 2012 8:10:40 PM

12. "He's looking more and more like the evil preacher man from the Poltergeist sequel."

I was going to go with the rapidly-aging bad guy from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, but that's even better.

I always liked Billy, despite almost entirely disagreeing with his world view. It's a shame.

Posted by: Nat | May 2, 2012 8:13:38 PM

13. I call BS on this! He has not been in his right mind or even lucid for years. Franklin or his witch of a daughter is behind this, you can be sure. What a disgusting and putrid family. May they all burn in hell, if there is such a place.

Posted by: happyday | May 2, 2012 8:15:03 PM

14. And I thought the bastard was dead.

Posted by: Jay | May 2, 2012 8:15:17 PM

15. Talk about irrelevance--Billy Graham's day has passed and he's literally the old fart everyone knew him to be. It takes grace to grow and he has none of it.

Posted by: woodroad34 | May 2, 2012 8:17:29 PM

16. No one is trying to "redefine marriage", it's like saying allowing women to vote redefined voting. Why do we keep letting them get away with using this stupid line.

Posted by: ken | May 2, 2012 8:19:35 PM

17. Imagine the cost of a full page advertisement in 14 newspapers! Proof positive that a fool & his money are soon parted ...

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | May 2, 2012 8:28:53 PM

18. I thought this hateful old huckster died years ago. Well, maybe he won't keep us waiting too much longer. His spawn are nothing more than poisoned fruit from a malignant tree.

Posted by: Bob R | May 2, 2012 8:36:34 PM

19. Next, a message from Rev. Jerry Falwell firmly in support of this ammendment.

Posted by: castaway | May 2, 2012 8:39:24 PM

20. Like Tone, I was hoping he would be above this. Apparently, though, he's not. I wonder if he ever took out ads in papers when they were crafting lax "no-fault divorce" laws for straights. Probably not.
    I also see he says that "home and marriage" are the foundation, not "families" are the foundation. So much for "family" values.

Posted by: Gregor | May 2, 2012 8:42:08 PM

21. Oldest trick in the book- trot out the sick, probably senile bible-bashing icon to put the "fear of God" into the voters, because they just might do something stupid, like vote tolerance & against bigotry. How about bringing back slavery- that's sanctioned by the bible too, right Billy boy?

Posted by: My2cents | May 2, 2012 8:46:48 PM

22. Billy, GFY. Then die. It's past your time here.

Posted by: TJ | May 2, 2012 8:47:34 PM

23. does he even remember his own name anymore?

93 tends to be pretty senile

Posted by: say what | May 2, 2012 9:04:19 PM

24. Oh yes The Graham family who's family had to sell The Crytstal cathedral in Ca because the children were all crooks.

Posted by: Mark | May 2, 2012 9:09:24 PM

25. Shocking: Just imagine someone who believes the "holy" bible was written or inspired by the creator of our billion gallaxy universe being a small minded BIGOY!!!

Posted by: jack | May 2, 2012 9:38:32 PM