News | Soap Operas | Television

Gay 'Days' Character Finally Comes Out To Parents: VIDEO

WillSamiDaysIt's the moment many Days Of Our Lives fans have been waiting for: Will Horton finally came out to his parents and, in a soap opera twist, the presumptive parental reactions were reversed: daddy Lucas becomes the supportive parent and mama Sami totally flips out.

Any viewer who knows Sami, however, understands this is typical for her. "I feel like the world's worst mother right now," she says. And, yes, that basically sums it up.

After years of really detesting Lucas, this particular Days fan is actually beginning to like him, particularly because of his "I see hate crimes on the news" discussion with Wills.

Watch the drama unfold, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Yay, finally! Days of our Lives has actually been doing a pretty good job with this storyline (albeit at a crawl). For anyone who wants to see the actual 'coming out' statement by Will that just preceeds the above clip, skip to the last minute of the following video:

Posted by: James | May 16, 2012 11:55:48 AM

2. A great way to increase acceptance of LGBT individuals. Showing gay relationships leads to women on soap opera message boards claiming "I can't believe I'm cheering for a gay couple." I saw this happen with the message board for "As the World Turns." Towleroad may be getting some more "not a fan of gay marriage but starting to become more tolerant" trolls pretty soon!

Posted by: mary | May 16, 2012 12:18:22 PM

3. As a casual Days viewer I can assure everyone, Sami will indeed make this entirely about her.

I also agree that this storyline has been handled well, albeit slowly, but a glacial pace is just par for the course in daytime soap operas.

Posted by: David | May 16, 2012 12:22:49 PM

4. Wow, some of that was really well-written, and surprisingly well-acted.

Posted by: jim | May 16, 2012 4:49:54 PM

5. "Well written, and surprisingly well-acted"????? LMFAO.

Posted by: marks | May 16, 2012 6:40:13 PM

6. Given the fact that these actors have to memorize their lines and act/tape daily for episodes with minimal takes, nor having the luxury of time or budget for much post-production editing, I think the acting was pretty good. Compared to the rest of the cheesy writing that is in daytime soaps, I agree that the coming-out storyline has been pretty well written so far in comparison.

Posted by: James | May 16, 2012 7:23:45 PM

7. What I'm actually a bit confused about is how this entire episode/clip (above) was able to make it onto Youtube a whole day BEFORE it actually aired - this episode actually didn't air until TODAY! Unless of course Newfoundland (NTV) in Canada airs DOOLives a day earlier?

Posted by: James | May 16, 2012 11:06:50 PM