News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Jason Alexander Thinks Cricket Is 'Gay:' VIDEO

JasonAlexanderCricket

Jason Alexander appeared on Craig Ferguson's CBS show last Friday and during a discussion about various athletic games, the actor described cricket as a "gay sport." Why? Well, the players wear white, don helmets "for no discernible reason" and apparently he finds the cricket pitch too effeminate.

"You know how I know it's really kind of a gay game? It's the pitch. It looks like nothing — if you slow it slow motion, it's kind of a —" Alexander says before offering an exaggerated rendition. "It's the weirdest… It's not like a manly baseball pitch; it's a queer British gay pitch."

As for Ferguson, the host described cricket as a cross between popular period drama Downton Abbey and baseball.

The video should be cued up to the start of that specific conversation, but if it doesn't work for you, fast-forward to the 8:46 mark, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Now in the next few days he will say he is sorry etc., I am so tired of this cycle. The guy is an ass.

Posted by: Peter | May 31, 2012 9:49:10 AM

2. That's kind of disappointing; he did such an amazing job as a gay man in Love, Valor, Compassion. You'd think he'd have learned a few things about fag jokes.

And BTW, cricket is an intense sport! Helmets are absolutely necessary!

Posted by: Paul | May 31, 2012 9:51:12 AM

3. Jason Alexander is a waste of flesh. He once said we needed cancer to "cull the herd".

I hate him.

Posted by: Bobby | May 31, 2012 9:52:21 AM

4. Pity his teenaged canoe accident didn't kill the useless f***.

Posted by: SteveC | May 31, 2012 10:02:21 AM

5. Well, obviously he hates gay people, just like you suspected. Sometimes people just say stupid things and don't realize that it is hurtful to those of us who have been bullied or called *fag* or *queer*.

Standing next to me, Jason's the one that looks *queer*. I could knock him over with one finger.

Posted by: Alan | May 31, 2012 10:06:14 AM

6. Like this guy ever played a sport. I'm sure he was last to be picked every time.

Posted by: Mawm | May 31, 2012 10:13:43 AM

7. the most offensive part of the whole thing is that it just isn't very funny. I'm British and I know there's a chasm between what we and Americans think is humorous. Yet the audience seems to be rolling in the aisles at his 'jokes'... what's that about?

Posted by: Steve F | May 31, 2012 10:14:06 AM

8. I despise him. May the Seinfeld Curse continue to haunt his every career move.

Posted by: patronsaint | May 31, 2012 10:31:31 AM

9. If you're going to make a joke, at least make it from a position of knowledge not ignorance.

The bowling action in cricket may look silly when Jason Alexander does it, but it is a thing of beauty when done by someone who knows what they are doing. It's one of the reasons I love cricket as both a sport and an artform.

As for the idea that helmets are not needed... all I can say is 'Oh Dear'.

For those of you with any curiosity check out the link below to the trailer for "Fire in Babylon". The documentary tells a great political story but I particularly loved it because it has the greatest compilation of dangerous fast bowling I've seen.

I'd like to direct them to this doco any time an American thinks cricket isn't a brutal game.

P.S. Of course cricket is gay - I've been playing the great sport for more than 20 years :)

Posted by: Hass | May 31, 2012 10:36:21 AM

10. @Steve F

The audience is primed to laugh at anything by the time the show is taped, and some shows have signs giving the audience cues.

Posted by: Eric | May 31, 2012 10:46:25 AM

11. I wasn't expecting it to be as bad as it was. It actually nauseated me.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | May 31, 2012 10:53:00 AM

12. Offensive,idiotic and totally not funny.

Posted by: Miguel | May 31, 2012 10:53:10 AM

13. you could say baseballers wear gloves for no discernible reason either by comparison to cricketers. next he'll go after rugby codes for wearing shorts instead of tight leggings like american football

Posted by: luke | May 31, 2012 10:53:14 AM

14. I don't know what you people expect. You(and GLAAD) applaud shows like Modern Family that reinforce the image of gay men as being limp-wristed, lisping, cowardly sissies.......and then act offended when someone lampoons gay men as, well,......limp-wristed, lisping, cowardly sissies.

As long as you continue associating gay men with an ideology of "gender-non-conformity" and endorse effeminate behavior as good and natural, you are going to continue to be the butt of ridicule and contempt and really have no basis for objecting to stereotypical portrayals or references.

You have only yourselves to blame.

Posted by: Rick | May 31, 2012 10:57:43 AM

15. Can you believe the cheap rug he is wearing on his head? Looks like Travolta's hand-me-down.

Posted by: Robbie | May 31, 2012 11:03:06 AM

16. This coming from a chubby has-been who is wearing a wig.

Posted by: Will | May 31, 2012 11:03:48 AM

17. His official Twitter account:

Posted by: Eric | May 31, 2012 11:04:57 AM

18. Get off your high fallutin selves. If a gay man made this joke, you queens would be laughing your asses off.
    It might have been a corny joke, but it wasn't offensive. What IS offensive is Alexander's wig.

Posted by: sage | May 31, 2012 11:05:51 AM

19. @Rick: It must be interesting to be so enemy-centered that you see the entire Towleroad audience as a single-minded, misguided blob. Well, at least you see the light.

Anyway, there's nothing gayer to me than a middle-aged man who suddenly takes to wearing a mink-colored wig. Gay. Really, really gay.

Posted by: Mort | May 31, 2012 11:10:50 AM

20. @sage sorry, you're wrong - I wouldn't be laughing my 'ass off' if a gay guy was saying this. The only problem I have with it is that it isn't particularly funny. As I said earlier, that may just be a cultural thing

Posted by: Steve F | May 31, 2012 11:21:01 AM

21. On youtube, I found an interview with Jason Alexander on the red carpet at the 2005 GLAAD Media Awards. Here's what he had to say:

"Because I grew up in NY I don’t really get that most people have truly not met or don’t know that they’ve met someone in the gay community. It’s very alien to them. And they see images of the evil gay man or woman, or they see the silly gay man or woman. What GLAAD is doing and our business is doing is showing that the *gay lifestyle* is pretty mundane and ordinary. It is exposing people to the realities of the *gay lifestyle*. What we have to remember we’re up against all the time, as far as perception, is most people outside of major cities, where there isn’t a gay community, don’t realize they’re having exchanges with gay and lesbian men and women, and so they think of it as other and alien. As long as that’s true, it’s always going to be an uphill battle".

Now look at that video again of Jason saying gays run back and forth without any rhyme or reason, and pitch a ball like they're prancing a minuet. Still fighting the good fight, eh, Jason?

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | May 31, 2012 11:22:10 AM

22. @Mort Well, my experience has been that 90% of the participants on this blog--at least the ones who post--are Far Left ideologues.

A small minority are not--but I think they understand who I am referring to when I use "you people" on this site the way I did in the post above.

But you are right--I should perhaps try a little harder to use the proper wording so as to not give the wrong impression.

That said, you just reinforced the whole idea of gay men being the kind of limp-wristed, lisping, sissies that Jason is referring to when you made this statement:

"Anyway, there's nothing gayer to me than a middle-aged man who suddenly takes to wearing a mink-colored wig. Gay. Really, really gay"

So, I have to ask you as I asked the others; how can you be offended when straight people stereotype gay men when you youself do exactly the same thing?

Posted by: Rick | May 31, 2012 11:22:12 AM

23. Mort,

Rick comes from the J. Edgar Hoover/Roy Cohn/Larry Craig wing of the homosexual underground...great tradition.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 31, 2012 11:34:10 AM

24. That cheap toupee is cutting off the circulation to his brain.

Posted by: RomanHans | May 31, 2012 11:38:00 AM

25. I wonder how Jason Alexander would react if someone told offensive Jewish stereotype "jokes" in his presence...I bet he'd get steamed...

Posted by: Rob | May 31, 2012 11:51:40 AM