Barack Obama | Gay Marriage | Jay-Z | News

Jay-Z Weighs in on Obama's Gay Marriage Endorsement: VIDEO

Jay-z

Jay-Z sat down with CNN today and among the topics he discussed was Obama's gay marriage endorsement.

Said Jay-Z:

“I’ve always thought it as something that was still holding the country back. What people do in their own homes is their business and you can choose to love whoever you love. That’s their business. It's no different than discriminating against blacks. It’s discrimination plain and simple...I think it's the right thing to do, so whether it costs him votes or not - again, it's not about votes. It's about people. It's the right thing to do as a human being.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Never doubted an artist this talented would think otherwise. Man's got a head on his shoulders.

Posted by: virtualdespot | May 14, 2012 8:39:18 PM

2. Glad to have his support. I'm not even kidding. I care about the opinion of Beyoncé's husband. And "Empire State of Mind" will always be indelibly associated in my head with June 24, 2011, and this way there's less dissonance there.

Posted by: Fodolodo | May 14, 2012 8:44:02 PM

3. Awesome.

Posted by: Mel Smith | May 14, 2012 8:50:02 PM

4. I've got 99 problems, but Jay-Z ain't one.

Posted by: ChristopherM | May 14, 2012 8:50:24 PM

5. Smart. Handsome. Sophisticated. I'm a new fan.

Posted by: David T | May 14, 2012 8:53:16 PM

6. Obama is a very powerful man, and this is proof positive of that fact. He can change minds and hearts. He never had anything to worry about with endorsing gay marriage. For proof, look at Romney and the GOP; it's like a hot potato they desperately don't want, and they know no matter what they do, regardless of these little sidestepping tactics, since they wanted it in the national spotlight, they're going to have to face the music, that they can't use gay issues to divide anymore. Social conservatives have lost, and November will be the final nail in the coffin.

Posted by: Matt | May 14, 2012 8:56:48 PM

7. 99 problems and gay marriage ain't one

Posted by: sam | May 14, 2012 8:59:44 PM

8. I wouldn't gloat in having someone like Jay Z - who calls women "bitches" and uses the "n" word in his songs - supposedly on our side. He's a sleaze and a creep.

It just goes to show how low we've gone as a community that we will embrace creeps like him. We're going further down into the barrel in our embraces.

Posted by: bruce | May 14, 2012 9:10:51 PM

9. lol @ BRUCE the troll.

I've admired Jay-Z for being in a stable long term relationship, using his money wisely, appearing unpretentious, and making good music. When I read the headline, I thought "oh oh." But I was wrong to doubt him. Keep being awesome.

Posted by: wow | May 14, 2012 9:19:23 PM

10. He's super smart, talented, stays mostly below the radar... and was smart enough to put a ring on it.

I'm very happy for his unequivocal statement of support. It will go a long way in helping people see equality as the issue.

Posted by: Pete n SFO | May 14, 2012 9:22:31 PM

11. I always admired the way he reminisced about his days as a drug dealer. Now, that I know he supports gay marriage... well, that just makes me melt.

Posted by: LeAnn | May 14, 2012 9:25:21 PM

12. ^5^ to Jay-Z. Beyonce chose a good man.

Posted by: Christopher di Spirito | May 14, 2012 9:34:02 PM

13. I'm happy to have his support.

Posted by: Logan | May 14, 2012 9:36:18 PM

14. @BRUCE: So now, those that support marriage equality have to pass some sort of arbitrary ideological purity test of your making? You seriously need to pill your head out of your ass and join the real world. All that matters here is that Jay-Z is on the right side of this issue. I don't expect to agree with everyone on every issue, nor do I have to condone actions. For example, I find Kim Kardashian to be ridiculous and very offensive on so many levels I cannot list them all here. But she has been very vocal in her support of marriage equality, so she gets mad props from me in that regard. Similarly, I find Obama's continuing crackdown on marijuana dispensaries (in contradiction to campaign promises)to be outrageous (and I don't even smoke pot).

Am I to reject Obama's support for marriage equality because of this policy position by his administration? And don't get me started on Obama's continued reliance and support of the PATRIOT ACT. So, while I have a number of issues with Obama, on balance I still wholeheartedly support his re-election and am glad to have his support on marriage equality. I'll take support anywhere I can find it.

Posted by: wilburinla | May 14, 2012 9:37:48 PM

15. I'm simply saying that we in the gay community are going further down into the barrel as we look for shout-outs. We should be careful because a lot of these so-called supporters are not really friendly towards us. They're acting as enablers for the people they support.

Jay Z is a known supporter of Obama, and, therefore, his comments need to be seen in that light.

As for me applying a moral test to those we embrace, why not? I wouldn't embrace Hitler if he were to support gay rights, and neither should you.

Posted by: bruce | May 14, 2012 9:42:49 PM

16. Bruce, after Beyonce had his daughter, I think Jay-Z said that he would never call women
    'b!tches' again.

Posted by: Mel Smith | May 14, 2012 9:43:17 PM

17. But let's not let facts stand in the way of internet whining.

Posted by: Gregoire | May 14, 2012 9:46:03 PM

18. @Bruce
    I think comparing Jay-Z to Hitler is a bit extreme.

Posted by: Logan | May 14, 2012 9:51:45 PM

19. Many thanks, Mr Carter. After that sorry (spineless?) showing of support from Rev Sharpton et al over the weekend, I'm glad to see another prominent African-American voice stepping forward to say that they have Obama's back on this one. Sign of a true leader, in my opinion.

Posted by: Rick | May 14, 2012 9:51:47 PM

20. not really a fan of his
    but i appreciate his stance and hes right -
    idk why people are saying that obama supports gay marriage because he wants votes - because it will cost him votes
    america is still a largely homophobic country (which is sad)
    but i agree - religion shouldn't be mandated on american citizens and republicans who think so are idiots

and it is the right thing to do as a human being - put aside your egos and beliefs because u are representing everyone in america and not everyone in america is christian

Posted by: qw4kkb | May 14, 2012 9:58:08 PM

21. @Jason (aka Bruce): No one has to love everything about Jay-Z, President Obama, or anyone else to commend their comments in support of our civil rights and against discrimination. It's called being capable nuanced thought.

Though the long jump in logic from Jay-Z to Hitler is admirably Olympian in its distance.

Posted by: Ernie | May 14, 2012 9:58:24 PM

22. Spineless showing of support from Sharpton? Al Sharpton endorsed gay marriage when he was a Democratic presidential candidate. How quickly people forget.

Posted by: BMF | May 14, 2012 10:25:27 PM

23. Rap is not music.

It is a talentless disease-ridden corpse with no original ideas.

Posted by: starpeople88 | May 14, 2012 10:26:21 PM

24. People seem to complain about the black community being anti-gay, and then when black people come forward in support of LGBT issues, they are put down. Seems like black people just can win on this blog.

Posted by: mike128 | May 14, 2012 10:29:23 PM

25. @BMF: Yes, and that makes Saturday's tepid and timid press release from NAN and the associated groups all the more disappointing. It was a welcome statement, but it represented an opportunity not fully grasped.

Posted by: Rick | May 14, 2012 10:37:56 PM