Anne Hathaway | Film | Hugh Jackman | News | Theatre

Hugh Jackman is Jean Valjean in Epic 'Les Misérables' Trailer: VIDEO

Jackman

The Les Misérables trailer is here. An adaptation of the stage musical, the film features Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, Russell Crowe, Sacha Baron Cohen, Helena Bonham Carter, Amanda Seyfried, and Eddie Redmayne. It's scheduled for a December release.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Finally the best musical ever is filmed! Looks sensational. Hugh Jackman as Valjean, yes! Anne H's singing is good, but the end of the song could have been stronger (à la LuPone). But very good.

Posted by: Matt26 | May 30, 2012 9:31:35 AM

2. THIS WILL BE A HUGE HIT. Biggest box office for a musical since CHICAGO, I predict.

Posted by: GMB | May 30, 2012 9:41:02 AM

3. THRILLING!...it is my most anticipated movie of 2012...

Posted by: mickey squires | May 30, 2012 9:50:04 AM

4. Hugh Jackman? I'll be seeing it!

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | May 30, 2012 10:02:15 AM

5. Finally a film worth paying $12.50 for to see it on the big screen rather than waiting for it to come out on cable! And thank heaven they chose actors who can sing rather than singers who think they can act...
    I'll be on line the day of release. Do you think it will be in IMAX 3D?

Posted by: DrMikey | May 30, 2012 10:02:40 AM

6. Three hours of caterwauling. Gee, I just can't wait.

Posted by: jomicur | May 30, 2012 10:09:46 AM

7. Okay, let the haters commence - and you just know they're clamoring! Me? I am beyond thrilled that this has finally come to fruition - I've waited 25 years for a film adaptation of one of my all-time faves and, despite Hathaway's seemingly subdued "I Dreamed A Dream" (she's singing it well, but the song usually demands an uber climax), right now this is giving me morning wood.

Posted by: jeffreychrist | May 30, 2012 10:15:24 AM

8. This was my father's favourite musical. He sat in the theatre and sobbed. Twice.

Just hearing "I Dreamed A Dream" filled me with warmth and sadness. Thank god it wasn't "One Day More"...I'd be a hot mess.

I'm hoping this is will be as magnificent as it looks.

Posted by: Autarchic | May 30, 2012 10:17:58 AM

9. I've always wanted a non-musical film adaptation that was closer to Victor Hugo's masterpiece. The musical is like a Readers Digest condensed version. The story is even more tragic and heart breaking than most people know. Only, you have to read it to find out.

Posted by: Carla Lewis | May 30, 2012 10:29:02 AM

10. I loved Patti LuPone's amazing belt in the original London cast but I can also see how that would be too much in a huge screen in a more realistic setting so I am going with Anne's version and can't wait to see this!

Posted by: Frank | May 30, 2012 10:30:42 AM

11. Yep. I'll be there.

Posted by: Bart | May 30, 2012 10:52:04 AM

12. I agree, in context, the usual powerful stage presentation of the song might be out of place.

No question that we'll be rushing to see it. With that cast? Wow.

I hope it does well enough to kick off more screen adaptations of musicals. We're way behind on some of the best ones.

Posted by: Lymis | May 30, 2012 10:58:52 AM

13. Ohhh, I really like Clara Lewis' idea. I read the book (abridged), and it was the most gripping thing I've ever read. I have never been afraid to go to sleep from a book..except Les Miserables

Posted by: Mike C. | May 30, 2012 11:41:26 AM

14. @Clara Lewis and @Mike C. -- There was a solid, not great, film version (non-musical) with strong actors: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119683/ but in order to get all the epic greatness of the book, I'd think you'd need one of those old-fashioned 10-part mini-series that only HBO does anymore (like BAND OF BROTHERS). I'd watch it. If the musical is a hit, the chances would no doubt go up, since interest would be high.

Posted by: luckylinden | May 30, 2012 12:40:26 PM

15. ok, i just BAWLED.

this is what i want from a Les Mis film - actual honest-to-God emotion and ache.
    YAY!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 30, 2012 12:46:30 PM

16. NBC killed this link for some stupid reason of their own - still up at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnLSG5t_dc8

Posted by: Patrick M | May 30, 2012 1:09:48 PM

17. Patti Lupone is amazing, but Anne's rendition is very poignant.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | May 30, 2012 2:29:11 PM

18. Thanks Patrick M.....

Posted by: John Normile | May 30, 2012 5:26:45 PM

19. Hugh getting ugly for this role. Trying to get an Oscar.

Posted by: Billy | May 30, 2012 8:13:51 PM

20. As a fan of the broadway musical, I really like what I saw in the musical. It looks incredible. Hathaway looks like she'll nail her role as Fantine.

Posted by: Les Miserables tickets | Jun 4, 2012 7:00:57 AM