MLK Niece Alveda King Denounces NAACP’s Support of Marriage Equality

Alveda King, a vocal NOM ally and the niece of Martin Luther King, Jr., is not happy that the NAACP followed Obama's marriage equality endorsement with one of its own.

KingSaid King, founder of King for America and Pastoral Associate for Priests for Life:

“Neither my great-grandfather, an NAACP founder, my grandfather Dr. Martin Luther King Sr., an NAACP leader, my father Rev. A. D. Williams King, nor my uncle Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. embraced the homosexual agenda that the current NAACP is attempting to label as a civil rights agenda. In the 21st century, the anti-traditional marriage community is in league with the anti-life community, and together with the NAACP and other sympathizers, they are seeking a world where homosexual marriage and abortion will supposedly set the captives free.”

Comments

1. Bob says

Ms King — Only 50 years ago, the race mixing and Photoshop that enable you to look so different from your sainted uncle did not exist or were not “approved of”.
    By focusing on opposition, rather than on freedom, you spit on his heritage.

2. alguien says

i believe that before she died, alveda king’s aunt corretta came out in support of gay marriage. i question her assertions based on that.

3. Robert says

Just because she’s MLK’s niece doesn’t mean she can’t be an ignorant, bigoted piece of trash. Read any of the crap she spouts and it’s nothing about equality — it’s about how blacks are superior to everyone. Huh-larious.

4. Alan says

That is her right not to agree with gay marriage (or abortion). It doesn’t mean she hates gay people. It’s not like the entire world is going to *evolve* overnight, like President Obama was forced to after Joe Biden did, months before the election, and obviously being completely sincere.

And it’s not like she’s Democrat Fred Phelps walking around with signs saying “God Hates…” you get the point. Give people a little leniency and understand their history before judging them.

5. says

She is flat out wrong about MLK Jr. He brought on openly gay Bayard Rustin to run the March on Washington. He’s never been quoted saying anything negative about queers, unlike his sad, sad niece. It’s too bad she can’t rely on her own good works.

6. Sammy says

Yes, Alan, we just feel the love that Ms. King sends our way. “Give people a little leniency and understand their history before judging them.” Do you have no sense of irony?

7. kit says

It might be time to remind everyone of this powerful and moving statement about marriage equality written by Mildred Loving, whose marriage to her white husband was the source of the end of laws prohibiting interracial marriages:
    For every ignorant, hateful person like Ms. King, there is a courageous and transcendent woman like Mildred Loving, who truly was a force for good in the world.

8. says

The March on Washinton was Bayard Rustin’s idea — from top to bottom.

Alveda King is a monstrous poseur who would like to write Rustin out of the history books. But that’s not possible. SHE’S the one who’s going to be written out of the history books.

9. NullNaught says

@David R.
    And he caved to pressure to get rid of Bayard because he was gay.
    I agree that MLK never said anything against homosexuals (the clinical language of the time which I think he might have used) but I feel your point is diluted somewhat in using the “Q” word which is itself controversial and upsetting for some gay people. Google “I hate the word Queer” if you don’t believe it is controversial. Don’t take my word for it. There are others who hate it as well.
    Myself, I only dislike it’s use when it is used in such a way that it invites straight people to use it. In my lifetime, it has been just as ugly as the “N” word. The blacks don’t use the “N” word to self-identify in such a way that makes whites feel invited to use it; let alone using it in the title of a show so that whites would be forced to use it. Do you kinda see how there is a double standard here? Straights can be comfortable using a gay slur and whites can’t feel comfortable using a black slur? Kinda makes the whole “Q” generation look frivolous and not thought out, or self-loathing, doesn’t it?

10. sparks says

I’d say King’s WIFE had a much better grasp of the ideals her husband strived to see achieved, and Coretta Scott King most definitely believed in full civil rights for gays.

“I still hear people say that I should not be talking about the rights of lesbian and gay people. … But I hasten to remind them that Martin Luther King Jr. said, ‘Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.’ I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King Jr.’s dream, to make room at the table of brotherhood and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people.”
    -Coretta Scott King

Alveda does not deserve to carry the surname.

11. James in Hollywood says

Goodness gracious, this woman is not very bright, is she? How is being for marriage equality being anti-traditional marriage? I love traditional marriage! My parents had one. I do not understand her implication that a win for marriage equality is somehow a loss for traditional marriage. Everybody wins, cookie!

12. says

Thank you, Sparks. That quote says it all. And somehow Coretta has more authority than a niece who’s being bankrolled by bigots.

@Alan: Your consistent idiocy is extraordinary, Congratulations!

13. Mickey says

She is a disgrace to the King legacy and everyone who really matters already knows that. She makes her living by disrespecting her heritage and cashes checks written by her peoples oppressors.

14. Eric Payne says

At one point Alveda King explained Coretta Scott King’s pro-gay attitude with the statement (and here I paraphrase): “Coretta Scott King is not of King blood, so she doesn’t know wfat she’s talking about when it comes to the civil rights battles that are in my family’s blood.”

15. sparks says

Saying civil rights is in her family’s blood is almost as ignorant as her other statements. Hatred, and tolerance, are each attitudes that are taught and instilled. Neither is inherited.

What an idiotic sense of entitlement she has.

I feel bad for her offspring, who will one day have to live down HER legacy.

16. says

@David Ehrenstein: I hope that she (and all of those like her) do NOT get written out of the history books. I want these people to be remembered and known for generations to come. Being hate-filled, ignorant monsters should be their everlasting legacy.

17. BillyDee4 says

I never knew she was Roman Catholic and was associated with Priest for Life which is run by that conman and sick pervert Frank Pavone. The last I heard he was in trouble with his bishop over financial irregularities.

18. NullNaught says

@David Ehrenstein
    I was just repeating what my college history profesor said in class. After the march, there was a politician, I am not sure of this but I believe if I remember correctly from Harlem, who told Rev. King he was outing Rustin and smearing King with it if he didn’t kick him out of the movement. If this is not so, excuse me for being misinformed. I assumed my history teacher knew his business.

19. TampaZeke says

NULLNAUGHT, you are correct. And another little known fact is that Robert Kennedy threatened pushed King to get rid of Rustin. Robert Kennedy was in cahoots with McCarthy when it came to the pink scare.

You should have heard the smear campaign on Bayard Rustin that was unleashed in the Huffington Post comments section recently. The HP comments have become bastions for homophobic attacks. They were claiming that Bayard had NOTHING to do with the march on Washington and that he was actually DIRECTLY responsible for MLK Jr.s assassination. These comments were not just random from some reader. They were clearly from a Swift Boat styled, well funded and professionally written campaign. It had “Pink Swastika” written all over it.

20. TampaZeke says

The flame bomb throwing racist trolls have been reported to Andy. Please avoid responding to them and let them starve to death from lack of attention.

21. rapture says

One of the greatest women of our era, Coretta Scott King, said clearly that the civil rights of African-Americans were worthless until gays had equal rights. We are all equal or no one is. This bizarre NOM associate should familiarize herself with her antecedents. She is missing the boat completely.

22. says

So tired of the blacks…

Posted by: wanka | May 22, 2012 9:07:13 PM

Monkey!!!

Posted by: dannson | May 22, 2012 8:48:56 PM

“…in league with the anti-life community.”

Wouldn’t that be the black community(via the Democratic Party)? Tsk tsk.

Posted by: Patrick | May 23, 2012 1:11:35 AM

Well maybe you queens should read about that white pastor who would like to ELECTROCUTE your ass DUMB RACIST SISSIES…….LOL!

23. darkmoonman says

MS. Alveda King, you do NOT run the NAACP and you do not speak for Martin Luther King. Crawl back under that rock where you belong.

24. elg/edwin says

@Rick
    So tired of the blacks…

Posted by: wanka | May 22, 2012 9:07:13 PM

Monkey!!!

Posted by: dannson | May 22, 2012 8:48:56 PM

Now stop whining about why so many black LGBT people consider themselves black first and foremost!

And so far none of you white gay men here see fit to condemn these WHITE GAY RACISTS. That’s because you are white first and foremost.

25. NullNaught says

@Elg/Edwin
    See Tampazeke and Brian in Texas above. I see whites attacking racist whites on this site all the time. I admit I have said nothing here, but some whites have and it is unfair to say none of us have.
    I do agree that I should say something every time I see that, but I don’t.

26. HOCKEYJOCK says

It’s so funny how she uses the terms ‘the anti-life community’ and ‘anti traditional marriage community’. What b.s. misleading and downright incorrect word choice – asking to give the same marriage rights as heterosexuals to gay people DOES NOT mean someone is anti-marriage, quite the opposite! Especially given hetreosexuals’ ability to marry as they always have will remain unchanged. I just think its so funny when conservatives try portray the desire for couples to make commitments under the eyes of God or the state as threatening marriage, when it’s clearly going to result in more couples making commitments to eachother and marrying. But no…more marriages = threatening marriage in her logic, apparently…

27. Jack M says

Why do we need to listen to her just because of her surname? If she doesn’t like the NAACP’s decision, she can just stop being a member. They’ll be better off without her, anyway.

28. says

@ NULLNAUGHT;
    your point is diluted by your attack on the use of “queer”. It is widely used in a positive manner amongst the queers, gays, and lesbians I know. Don’t they count? If you don’t like it, please don’t use it.

29. Name: says

Why do you need to have all these haters “evolve” for you? It’s one woman. My partner loves me and my family and friends. That’s all you need people. Get over it.