Discrimination | Ellen DeGeneres | News

One Million Moms Now Protesting JC Penney Catalogue's Lesbian Couple

JCPenneyOne Million Moms, the group that protested JC Penney's hiring of Ellen DeGeneres, have a fresh bee in their anti-gay bonnet. And, yes, it again concerns JC Penney's LGBT-inclusion.

JC Penney has infuriated the group after including a lesbian couple in their latest catalogue. "You'll often find Wendi, her partner, Maggie, and daughters elbow deep in paint, clay or mosaics," the store's "freedom of expression" advert reads, leading One Million Moms to revive their boycott.

OMM has so many issues to cover we had no choice but to move on earlier in the year but have decided to revisit this issue and speak out again. It is obvious that JCP would rather take sides than remain neutral. JCP will hear from the other side so they need to hear from us as well.

The group then offers the obligatory "take action" call, imploring supporters to confront store manager's about the lesbian couple. They ask: "What was the purpose in stating on page eleven that Wendi and Maggie are partners?" The answer is of course simple: because lesbians exist, have children and need to buy clothes, just like straight people.

Comments

1. J.C. Penney store managers should be alerted to call security whenever one of these creeps shows up. They're dangerous and capable of anything.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 3, 2012 11:16:57 AM

2. These "mothers" need to get a life.

Posted by: TJ | May 3, 2012 11:22:59 AM

3. Yes, "had no choice" because you just need to cover so many issues - not that your boycott was epic fail.

Posted by: Butch | May 3, 2012 11:24:30 AM

4. Bored moms that "need it" badly.

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | May 3, 2012 11:29:33 AM

5. Next thing you know they'll be showing boys with fingernail polish.

Posted by: Oliver | May 3, 2012 11:30:03 AM

6. Having worked for JCPenney at their home office in Texas about 10 years ago, I know that this and Ellen are a HUGE shift in their corporate culture. JCP customers have always been middle America, conservative and rural or suburban (not the most progressive parts of the country). I sincerely applaud their willingness to be front and center showing LGBT persons in their advertising at the very real risk of alienating their customer base (not just OMM). Hopefully JCP will follow up with monetary support of LGBT issues, but in the meantime, I hope that the LGBT community will support JCP with our business to make up for the business that I am sure they will loose because of this inclusiveness. Lets make JCP the next Starbucks.

Posted by: Chadd | May 3, 2012 11:36:44 AM

7. THIS should be a good example for commenters who claim that gays need to curb their ways or are too in your face which is why they are loosing the fight.

Please, you don't get a better rep then this family and STILL they froth at the mouth. They hate you and always will.

Posted by: Rowan | May 3, 2012 11:37:33 AM

8. who cares?!?! really. it's been established that these bozos are their boycotts are totally insignificant, ineffectual and ou-of-touch. they days are numbered... that said, GO JC Penny!!!

Posted by: betmatthewnyc | May 3, 2012 11:39:27 AM

9. One million Jealous " moms " LOL

Posted by: Scott | May 3, 2012 11:54:24 AM

10. yeah and I bet those bitches "still" shop at Penny's too.

Posted by: Johnny | May 3, 2012 11:55:05 AM

11. What JCP is REALLY saying here "moms" is that your boycotts are just the kid of press they want to change their image. You've been trolled. If you really want to hurt JCP ignore it. But I suspect you won't - thanks!

Posted by: Allen | May 3, 2012 12:03:39 PM

12. "It is obvious that JCP would rather take sides than remain neutral."

I love this: To them taking sides is not siding with them but taking a neutral stance by not excluding anybody.

I know they don't see our logic. I get that. But it just astounds me how they use a language of inclusiveness to justify their exclusivity and discrimination...and then wonder why people get pissed at them.

Posted by: Jay | May 3, 2012 12:05:16 PM

13. I thought they were already boycotting JC Penny.

Posted by: Sylvatica | May 3, 2012 12:07:57 PM

14. I find it very interesting that these so called "one million moms" accuse JCP of taking sides and calling for a boycott yet Chic-fil-a has taken has taken the side of the anti gay movement and you don't hear a word from one million moms calling for a boycott of chic-fil-a

Posted by: Mark | May 3, 2012 12:16:12 PM

15. They're like that sad crazy uncle who will walk outside with his underpants on his head as soon as you turn your back. Poor million moms, everyone is laughing at you...

Posted by: Michaelandfred | May 3, 2012 12:37:15 PM

16. They're like that sad crazy uncle who will walk outside with his underpants on his head as soon as you turn your back. Poor million moms, everyone is laughing at you...

Posted by: Michaelandfred | May 3, 2012 12:37:16 PM

17. Who really cares what the thousand moms say or whatever their name is? how about focus on how awesome JC Penney is that they're taking a risk and openly professing their support of gays and lesbians? I think it's great.

Posted by: Joe | May 3, 2012 12:41:40 PM

18. Couldn't the lady in white hair be GRANDMA? Hard to tell without seeing her face, but her arm looks like that of an older woman.

Posted by: Dale | May 3, 2012 12:43:35 PM

19. they should be ashamed to call themselves "mom". They are not "moms", just controlling, unloving, psychotic inducing bigots.

Posted by: woodroad34 | May 3, 2012 1:01:07 PM

20. In my deepest cynical thoughts, I sometimes wonder if One Million Moms is a covert JCP operation to garner publicity.

I'm not actually that cynical, and I do admire JCP for their stance. All my life, I would never want to be caught dead in a JCP. I doubt their merchandise has improved much, but I'm willing to look at their site online. And if they happen to carry something that is not god-awful, blindingly cheap-looking, I'll consider buying it to show my support for them.

I would much rather they change their name, upgrade to better merchandise, and keep their support of LGBT people. Then I will totally shop there without embarrassment or trepidation.

Posted by: John | May 3, 2012 1:11:19 PM

21. One million bigots. Of course JCP isn't going to cater to them, they're not the future of JCP. In order to remain successful JCP has to appeal to a younger generation. By bye bigot moms.
    By the way, have you been to a JCP lately? It rocks!

Posted by: Oliver | May 3, 2012 1:27:30 PM

22. Please continue shaking your fists in faux outrage, One Hundred Moms. Your constant butthurt amuses me.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | May 3, 2012 1:30:43 PM

23. I've shopped JCP twice now, because they made Ellen their spokesman. And I told the cashier why I had shopped there the first time. I'm not one to encourage consumerism, but in this case, go shop!

Posted by: lewlew | May 3, 2012 1:34:01 PM

24. @John: When was the last time you were in a JCP store? You "doubt that their merchandise has improved much", but you really should go check it out before being such a harsh critic. JCP has made great improvements in their assortment over the years and is a great alternative to Kohl's and Macy's (on non-designer stuff). Also, JCP product quality testing is the industry standard for almost ALL of retail. JCP is not Wal-Mart.

Posted by: Chadd | May 3, 2012 1:35:58 PM

25. I don't know if anyone remembers this but back in 1997 when Ellen came out on her show, JC Penney dropped their sponsorship of the Ellen show. (Just google it, it's there). I stopped shopping at JCP for years because of that. It's so great to see JCP do a 180 turn, not only initially hiring Ellen but standing up so strongly to OMM's objections. I love the inclusion of the lesbian couple in their advertising. GO, JCP!!!!

Posted by: inahandbsket | May 3, 2012 1:44:18 PM