Boxer Manny Pacquiao Blasts Obama Over Same-Sex Marriage, Cites Scripture Saying Gays Should Be Put to Death

Filipino boxer and politician Manny Pacquiao, who Forbes named the #4 most influential athlete in the world this year, is speaking out against Obama's endorsement of same-sex marriage, citing Biblical scripture that gays should be put to death.

PacquaioThe Conservative Examiner reports:

Pacquiao's directive for Obama calls societies to fear God and not to promote sin, inclusive of same-sex marriage and cohabitation, notwithstanding what Leviticus 20:13 has been pointing all along: “If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.”

Pacquiao, bearing a conservative stance on the Reproductive Bill which is still pending in the Philippine Congress for approval even after contemptuous debates, believes the sweeping campaign of Obama favoring the gays and lesbians to legally marry is nothing more than a direct attack on the moral society and against the creative power and will of God.

Pacquiao continues: "God only expects man and woman to be together and to be legally married, only if they so are in love with each other."

"It should not be of the same sex so as to adulterate the altar of matrimony, like in the days of Sodom and Gomorrah of Old."

America should be the model of morality for other countries to emulate and must have the responsibility to uphold the Scripture to the highest order of God's command, he adds.

Comments

1. Daniel Berry, NYC says

Now that boxing has knocked his brain loose he’s fully qualified to be a television preacher. GO FOR IT.

2. Bart says

Almost too funny to respond to. Some dimwit who has been punched in the head too many times, is now speaking for God, and God often talked in the Bible about being “legally married.”

Shut up, go back to your backwards place in the world and live your life how ever you want. But don’t preach to anyone else when you’re this overtly stupid, most likely brain damaged, ill-informed, unable to discern Bible passages nor able to understand their historical context and a regressive clown that people like to watch get bloodied up.

3. nikko says

OMG, where do I begin? So he thinks he’s a godly man for being a violent boxer??! Do tell, Mr. boxer, how is your “sport” godly? What a blind hypocrite. And this coming from a guy who’s country is Catholic and way overpopulated because they don’t believe in birth control, hence LOTS of poverty, a few very wealthy. God’s country. Disgusting. I’m at a loss….

4. manbot says

So,the world is to take their moral direction from some village-idiot who makes his living from bashing the faces in of his fellow man? Just checking…

5. StevyD says

He talks of the “altar of matrimony”. I thought good Christians have only one God, but now matrimony also has an alter? Is it just like God’s, bigger or smaller? Too many blows to the head doesn’t help ones thought process does it.

6. misael says

His wife almost divorced him back in November, because he was having an affair,in that bible verse he quoted, the same was said about poeple who have affairs , but he left that out.

7. Lee says

WE could all Biblical on HIM: Leviticus 19:28 “‘Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.” Pot meet kettle…

8. says

Religious groups and the GOP have suppressed the rights of the Gay and Lesbian community for FAR too long. It was about time a public official like Obama stood up for this human rights issue while Mitt Romney hides behind Red State Religion and his Magic Mormon Underwear. See Mitt in his sacred undergarments praying for enough money to buy this election so he can spread his bigotry and homophobia at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2012/05/mitt-romneys-magic-mormon-underwear.html

9. Bob says

SORRY — but this reminds me why I often find Gay Filipinos hard for me to get along with. They have been raised in a damaging culture that supports an idiot like Manny, while I come from the plain talkers.

10. LiamB says

I’m sorry, Manny. Seems you have forgotten that we are not a Christian country, but a secular one. Our country is under no such obligation.

11. NaomiClareNL says

Manny WHO? Wanders over to the Forbes article. Ah, I see. Nope, none are influential in my part of the world because they are totally unknown. Only one I ever heard of is that Tebow fellow. By accident that is and I may be one of a handfull in my country.

It’s all about real football here, you know ;)…

12. Roman Bolliger says

.2012……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..1789……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………1148……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..yo soy Manny……………..forlorn in the Middle Ages……….

13. Ronny says

Sodom and Gommorah of Old? Is there a NEW Sodom and Gomorrah? Am I missing out?

14. Scott says

It’s worth noting that a large casino here in CA has annoyed the crap out of me with a Manny Pacquiao commercial for months and months.

I’m going to make sure that this Casino knows that I wont be coming as long as they keep him (and I like my slots).

15. Poof says

Good grief.. If everyone was put to death for every single reason the bible states.. who’d be left?

16. Robert says

You can’t fool him, cause he’s a moron.

This guy can’t even get his facts straight, let alone his religion. Sodom and Gomorrah? Oh, really. If you actually bother to look it up instead of listening to every ignorant, dime-store preacher with an agenda, you’ll see there was nothing about gays in why those two cities were destroyed.

You’ll also see two daughters willfully getting their dad drunk to have sex with him and have his grand kids. Who knows, that might be his favorite part and he doesn’t actually remember the rest.

17. Casper says

I’ll be looking for his endorsements……And I’ll avoid buying from them.
    I’ll be making a statement from my pocket book!
    He’s a total loser for me, and a total hypocrite!

18. Skooter McGoo says

Nike should cut all ties with this guy since he thinks all gay people should be put to death. Tattoo’d much you hypocrite, “Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.” — Leviticus 19:28
    God must smite you dead as you walk down a street but instead God is off killing 35,000 people today because he doesn’t want to them to have food to live. Catholics need to clean their own house of child rapist before thinking they are HIGH & MIGHTY to control everyone. Just so you know Manny, this is the USA, marriage licenses are issued by the state, not the church. NO religion is necessary for a marriage to be legal, valid or recognized. I could give a rats ass what the Pope thinks since per the 1st Amendment of the USA, neither he nor the Vatican create law in this country.

19. coemgenus says

Quoting that stone-age drivel in the UK would be enough to get him charged with incitement to violence … that’s the bit about murdering gay people isn’t it? Sounds an awful little thug to me.

20. DK says

I’m definitely not surprised to see him make this statement. He’s been very religious ever since he came on the scene and he’s also a current congressman in the Philippines with its implicit acknowledgment that it is a “Christian” nation. And as a boxer of Filipino descent, he is akin to God in quite a few places.
    Having read the Filipino-American newspapers recently with his next fight coming up, he’s definitely ratcheting up the god talk even more, even if he claims that his prayer sessions are “non-denominational” and “anyone” can attend…

As a Filipino-American, gay man, not indoctrinated (forcibly or otherwise) into any religion, he annoys me more often than not with his statements. Even his last two fights were not even worth pirating.

21. Marc says

Boxer and politician, nuff said … Philippines is a nice country, doesn’t have the fault for this clown

22. Michael says

Funny how he doesnt care about the tattoos, shaving and cotton blend abominations.

23. Sean in Dallas says

I’ll bet he eats shellfish, too.

Love that bible–it’s such a fun Chinese menu!

24. Jay says

Excuse me – we are being taught morality by a man who has made a living off of people gambling on his ass!?

Really?

25. Michael says

I just read he cheats on his wife so f#ck him

Leveticus 20:10 And the man that committeth adultery with another man’s wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour’s wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

26. Michael says

I have a bet with anyone who says let’s follow Leveticus and kill homosexualsn. I say let’s have at it but let’s start from chapter 1 and if there is anyone still alive that thinks homosexuals should he killed via Levetical law then I will be the first one to go.

27. Scar2 says

I’m a gay Filipino-Canadian & I was deeply offended when a Nike salesman assumed I was a fan of this idiot. I’m even more dismayed when my parents & the Filipino community worship him. I hate that the Catholic church have so much influence on Filipinos, even the gay ones. That’s why a lot of North American Filipinos don’t get along with the new immigrants. Just sad.

28. Scar2 says

29. Rob says

Manny Pacquiao has a big new deal with Nike that was announced just a couple of weeks ago. I sent Nike a message telling them I WILL BOYCOTT any a brand that associates with a spokesman who spews hate. I recommend more people do the same…

30. Jesse says

The Catholic church has led a new cleanse of gay stuff in Philippines. A friend of mine who goes there regularly says there were once several gay magazines in the Philippines in the line of Instinct or Out. they are no longer on sale in public in even the most liberal parts of manila. Friends of Jinky say Manny is dimwitted and has a miniscule penis, yet she loves, loves his money (which is an unbelievable fortune there), as do his groupie whores.

31. sparks says

“only if they so are in love with each other”???!!

Dude obviously hasn’t read the scripture. The bible promotes marriage as a proper bartering of property. Women were VERY often treated as property and subservient to the will of the man… who, by the way, was sanctioned to have many wives and concubines.

32. Francis says

Knocking his country is wrong, but the reality is, Manny has now become a laughingstock who has gone from a nearly unanimously well-perceived individual into a complete farce of religious conservatives in the span of 12 hours. Oh well. Guess an email to Manny’s sponsors is in order.

33. sparks says

And this, by the way, was why separation of church and state was crucial to the foundation of this country.

Religious organizations attempting to influence civil law should be immediately stripped of their tax exempt status.

Let’s see how much money they want to pump into groups like NOM when they’re suddenly required to pay taxes on every cent they take in.

34. terry says

As a very proud filipino, I can honestly I wish he would just shut up and go away!

35. UFFDA says

OK buster, you’ve just started a fight you’re gonna lose big time.

One…two…three and you’re out.

36. DK says

Per his own twitter and confirmed with Mario Lopez’s, Manny Pacquiao is going to be at the Grove in Los Angeles with Mario Lopez of Extra for an interview tomorrow at 3 PM.

37. Ricco says

These hypocrites love to quote Leviticus . . . of course that one so very small section of Leviticus where the majority of it concerns the sexual taboos God places on heterosexuals . . . and all with a death sentence!

Naturally, the hypocrite, Pacquiao has much less to say about the fact the fact that he has violated so many of those that had he the nine lives of many cats, he would have been put to death many-many times.

38. Sumner says

As Lord Alfred Douglas wrote to the Marquis of Queensberry, his father, “What a funny little man you are.”

39. Nathan says

Very disappointing. I had admired Manny for the way he had pulled himself up from nothing through nothing but his own strength, but hearing that he feels this way makes me think twice about his character.

40. BMF says

Why was I not surprised that we didn’t get past the first page of comments without someone trying to turn this guy’s comments into some generalization about gay Filipinos. Sigh. Many Pacquiao is ONE PERSON and his comments don’t get attributed to Filipinos generally.

41. Hugh says

To me, his views aren’t as surprising as the fact that he was so candid about it. Philippines is a notoriously Catholic country (abortion and divorce are still illegal!) But being that high profile an athlete in the West, you’d think someone would have given him some media training.

42. Johnson says

It is WIDELY known that Pacquiao is presently, and has been for quite some time, engaging in an adulterous affair with a model who is not his wife. Hypocrite.

43. QueenZafrona says

Let’s be fair. Let’s continue to quote Leviticus 20:13: For every one that acurseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.

10 ¶And the man that committeth adultery with another man’s wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour’s wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

Also Jesus said he had come to replace the law. (The Old Testament). So why do people continually quote from it. Is is invalid.

44. says

This really pisses me off, because the guy is one of the most famous athletes across the entire world… and there are fans who practically worship at his feet.

We should be vocal in protesting him, denouncing what he said and forcing him to apologize for his asshattery. If it costs him big money, he’ll backtrack faster than any of the fists he throws in the ring.

45. JD says

Just shut the f–k up Manny. You’ve done more to harm the institution of marriage with your womanizing in the past. Plus your opposition to the reproductive health bill in the Philippine Congress, a bill that would empower women and all Filipino couples to make informed choices regarding the size of family they want, shows how much of a medieval simpleton you are. So just SHUT IT. Nakakahiya ka.

46. says

1: I want to thank those of you that listed the sponsors!
    2: I’d never hold this against the Philippines or it’s people, I couldn’t stay mad at such an attractive people anyhow.
    3: There are enough people out there who are like this guy to make me plead with those of you who oppose civillian gun ownership: please reconsider. We can maintain common sense controls and still allow civillians to protect themselves as best they can.

47. andrew says

Looking at Manny leads me to believe that we can throw out the old adage;”You can’t judge a book by its cover”. Manny looks mean and hateful and he is mean and hateful.Isn’t it interesting how the homophobes cherry pick the bible. You never hear them railing against those who work on the sabbath, committ adultery, curse their parents, worship gods other than yahweh etc. The bible calls for the stoning to death of all those offenders as well. Nope they just drag out that VILE book to beat on homosexuals.

48. says

Impressive! Forbes 4th most influential spor-zzzzzzzzzzzz….

As the sage Sweet Pussy Pauline once uttered: NEXT!

49. Mark says

What we must do os educate the American public on Mormonism..Once the evangelicals understand that Mormons believe God lives on a planet named Kolog ..well lets just say some of those Mitt votes will turn to Obama votes

50. says

Boxers are great at talking about BOXING. If you’re not a trained liar (i.e. a polititian), stay away from politics. You’ll only upset someone no matter what you say. A stance like this makes you look very primitive, though.

51. says

The Philippines are mostly a Muslims country. In some Muslin countries, they have hangings or beheading of gays or adulterers in public squares. So this is not a surprise. It’s obvious that his thinking is part of the brain washing they get throughout their lives in their mosques and homes. This is part of the religious problem right here in America. Quoting the bible as if it’s was really God’s words. The only hope for him is that someone knocks him silly… and the sooner the better.

52. Evi says

Since Obama is americans to practice guy, he should also ask animals to do same. Why should human beings change their sex order, when animals can’t eben contemplate it. Obama is worse than an animal, it means

53. Daniel Berry, NYC says

another hypocritical know-nothing quoting the bible. big fkn deal.

54. andrew says

@Jerry: The Philippines is a mostly Roman Catholic nation,a result of Spanish conquest and colonialism.

55. Tom Cruz says

Manny man is destined for greatness. Talk is cheap, but media is expensive. I think his stand is supported by 99 per cent of the population.

Gays are impulsive persons, their insecurity triggered by just mentioning that they are not women.

56. Tom Cruz says

57. jamal49 says

Manny Pacquiao is an influential athlete in the real world outside of the U.S. He has earned millions of dollars from his fights and millions more in endorsements. In his country, he is idolized and has become a potent political persona. This doesn’t excuse his homophobic remarks, but these are nothing new for Manny. He’s stated such crap before.

The irony is that Filipino men are notoriously bisexual and Manny is no exception (or, shall we say, was–since he’s now a “born-again” christian). Not only that, before Manny “got religion”, he was infamous for his, um, “preference” for trans Filipinas.

Manny’s another not-so-shining example of the perfidy that is evangelical christianity. It is a fetid cancer on the soul of humanity; its adherents–of which Manny is now a not-so-shining example–are lifeless, joyless, hateful, spiteful and vindictive.

The Philippine people are a very sweet, very generous and very kind people, in spite of their troubled history (Spanish colonization and unspeakable cruelties committed by the Spanish occupiers with the Catholic church complicit all the way; then the U.S. occupation, which wasn’t much better; then the Japanese in WWII).

They deserve much better than Manny Pacquiao as a national hero. Unfortunately, in a country such as The Philippines where poverty, deprivation and corruption are the norm, the violent sport of boxing is one of the very few ways a poor man can overcome and rise above such circumstances.

Thus, because Manny Pacquiao was able to ascend to the pinnacle of fame and fortune because of his success in the boxing ring, his influence is, and will continue to be, even more powerful. That is sad, very sad.

58. Jack says

Woah. I guess the athlete I look up to all these years is small-minded. I never thought he would say that. I hope he didnt make this statement in order to gain attention. I really hope he knows better than this. :/

59. Tarc says

What deep philosophical genius from a man who takes great prideat making a lifelong goal of killing all his own brain cells!

60. I like Women says

Dang there sure are a lot of faggots posting here!!! Or faggot lovers. Dude Dicks in hairy buttholes are gross already.